1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need your help....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dalespitfire, Jan 5, 2005.

1. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Okay guys I've been hanging around here a while now, and there are still more questions than answers for me :suicide:

BUT!! I can't keep toing and froing forever and I have to come to a decision.

It's as simple as this.....

It HAS to be HDCP compatible, because I can't afford to dip in the pocket again in the next 18 months (weddings etc.... :eek: )....

As I understand it, that pretty much leaves me with this choice.....all would leave me just enough change to build a reasonable spec HCPC to feed it.

Plasmas
    =======
    LG PX11
    LG PX12 preferred option but no-one sells it (apart from 247 who I wouldn't touch with any of your bargepoles!!!)

DLP
    ===
    Tosh 46WM48

So what do you guys reckon. I've demo'd the options (not PX12) and have no real preference over the PQ's in my eyes.

Plus for the Tosh is Hi Def, plus for the LG is that it goes on the wall and wont take over the room. :confused:

HELP!! :lease:

2. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not like you guys not to have an opinion ;)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HDCP for What? What is Budget? consideration of HDCP for what reason? Pioneer 435 is ideal (£2,700) NEC maybe another option (£1600 panel only) You are looking at SD plasmas so why not Hitachi and Fujitsu to the list???

4. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thought I'd limit your choices that's all.... :rolleyes:

HDCP because I'll be in the queue for Sky HD - I was under the impression that the LG's were the only panels capable of HDCP at the mo - but Hi Def on an SD panel does seem pointless somehow....

Congrats - along with the review in What Vid & TV you've just talked me into getting the DLP :smashin:

:hiya:

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    pioneers are HDCP and hi res panels so are idealfor Sky HD....but enjoy your DLP

6. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I think there are just too many uncertainties around the SKY+ HD service to make any guarantees. I'm veering towards getting a 37" PW7 to tide me over the next couple of years, relegate that to the kids' bedroom, and then go for whatever is the state of the art screenwise.

7. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    So is the PX12. And isn't there a hi res NEC that's compatible?

Either way, take a look at a HD feed powering an SD display before you dismiss it as pointless... especially when you think about broadcast bitrates for SD content - you lose quite a bit in the compression, so there is plenty of room for HD broadcasts to improve on PQ, even with an SD display.

Don't forget to demo the DLP... I recently saw a DLP set in store, it was terrible, although I wouldn't pass a final judgement on it without a more realistic viewing.

8. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The vast majority of what you're going to be watching for the next 2 years for sure, and probably 3 years or more, is going to be SD material (some of which badly compressed btw). An HD screen won't really help therefore, actually it's quite the opposite (upscaling to be done, introduces more artefacts than slight downscaling).

However if you're really into HD (as I am) it's a good idea to get a screen with a digital input, either DVI-HDCP or HDMi, so that you make sure you'll be able to watch HD material whenever it starts to get available (BluRay DVDs, some HDTV via Sat, Cable or ADSL?). Even an SD screen will show a very noticeable improvement, the picture does "feel" like HD even on an SD screen (though you may miss some of the picture details, e.g. background or small object fine details).

Another reason to buy a screen with digital input is there's no way you'll be able to sell one without in 2-3 years time (or worse yet, at a later date). Whatever you can get from reselling, it will help you buy a state-of-the-art flat screen then...

And as for DLP, same advice as graham, you really need to demo it first. As for me I can't stand RP type picture, washy colours, highly variable brightness across the screen and depending on the viewing angle, etc... But that's just imho of course, and I've probably not demo'ed the latest and greatest in DLP technology either... ;)

9. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    From what I've seen of DLP the picture is a vast improvement over the old RP stuff. No comparison there.

A 5* rating in WV&WTV can't be bad after all :smashin:

They also have a 160 degree rated horizontal viewing angle. Of course the vertical is a different matter, but I wont be wall mounting it anyway as it weighs in at around 2 tonnes!!

Beleive me, I would love to get a plasma, but I just can't get exactly what I want for the money I have I'm afraid. :(

Still the extra 4 inches will help numb the pain :thumbsup: