1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need your guidance on a suitable Receiver/Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rogers, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hey all :) ,
    Am ready for a new receiver. With the experience all you guys have, am sure you could give some really great tips on which one would be great to get.

My speakers are:
    Sony SS-MF650H (floor standing)
    8 ohm Impedance
    Sensitivity: 89 dB
    180 Watts Maximum Input Power
    Frequency Range: 40Hz - 50kHz

Sony SS-CR350 (centre and surround package)
    Centre
    8 Ohms Impedance
    Sensitivity: 86 dB
    Maximum input power: 120 Watts
    Frequency Range: 85Hz - 20KHz
    Surrounds
    8 Ohms Impedance
    Sensitivity: 89dB
    Maximum input power: 100 Watts
    Frequency Range: 85Hz - 20KHz

Am looking for a receiver which gives you that instant jaw-drop with movie handling. My younger brothers are always watching movies at my place, so am buying it as much for them as myself and boy do they love slam with the movies.

However performance with music should be top-notch as I listen to music more than watch movies.

I was thinking:
    Yamaha rx-v1500 or 2500
    Denon avr-2805 or 3805 (though I think this may be out of my price range)
    Marantz ? (music is said to be great, not sure about movies)
    How do these perform? (With Music and Movies)

Does any one know the average prices of these receivers in the east?
    Wasabi, maybe you could help out here.

Unfortunately I won’t get a chance to audition it at home with my equip as am hoping to buy it in the east as I will be in Dubai and possibly Thailand and Hong Kong about two weeks from now. So models only available in the UK are out of the question. So I will have to try and choose wisely and hope for the best. ;)

Ciao :thumbsup:
    Rogers

2. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those are all great receivers you've listed. They may be more than what you need for your setup. Have you considered Sony's amps? Say the DA1000, DA3000, or the 997? You're going to need a subwoofer if you want instant jaw dropping sound when you play "Saving Private Ryan" or "Gladiator". What are you running now? All the brands you listed will sound great with home theater. When playing audio, you'll notice more differences. Yamaha is a little brighter, while Marantz is smoother. Denon is in between. You'll pay more for the Denon and Marantz then comprably equipped Yamaha and Sony. For your speaker set up (and I've heard the towers-they are impressive at the price), I would recommend going with a Sony or Yamaha depending on the best deal you can find. I have a Denon and love it, but it took forever to tweak the sound, and also have way too much money in my Polk 7.1 speaker set up. Don't need all that for home theater. You may prefer the sound of the Marantz for audio, but again, I'm sure Sony's higher end matches up great with your speakers. Good luck!

3. benkenobi

benkenobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey there,
    i suggest u buy them in dubai.
    just got my new Nad 320Bee for 219$(112GBP) and a Definitive tech Prosub 100TL for 287$(155GBP).
    . the def tech really shakes my room(14X20 feet).
    all in all a great deal.

4. qwiksnk

qwiksnk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree

5. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks alot TC! :thumbsup: I did think about getting one of the Sony receivers to match the speakers setup. However I kept reading about problems that plagued them. Am not quite sure if they have been resolved. Otherwise they seem to be great receivers.
    I had a subwoofer which I gave away to a friend. Am strill looking for one to replace it.
    I think as you said I can probably get a good deal on Yamahas and Sonys. So I think I'll check out the two. Am really worried about the music though, because it is after all my first love. I know getting a combination of both home theatre excellence and musical brilliance is asking for too much but still....the longing remains.
    Am so grateful for your help! :)

Cool! I will definately check them out in Dubai! And since am also looking for a new subwoofer, I will look at the Def Tech range. They seem to be awesome. Alot of friends have advised me to go for them. Price seems great too!
    Where exactly did you get it? I might start looking from there! (Save me some time eh! ;) )
    Are there specific dealers for brands (Sony, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz) or is it better to look around for the best bargains?
    I might even pick up a new DVD player to replace my aging Panasonic S75. Any ideas?
    Many thanks otherwise. :)

6. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just gave my Sony STR DE925 AV receiver to my younger brother. It was their top of the line "lower end" about 10 or 11 years ago and still works great. I had one issue with the unit shutting off, but took it in under warranty and never had any problems with it since. It's powerful, but not near the separation of my Denon 3805 (but it was what I could afford at 25!) I don't think my Denon 3805 is "louder", but it sounds better. The Sony's have excellent flexibility with the parametric eq. There are endless ways of tweaking the sound. I know the higher end Sony DA series sound great, but they can get pricey. You can't go wrong with the Yamaha 1500 or Sony DA series if the price is right. I'm guessing you'll update your system in 3-5 years again when your income increases, so get your receiver at a good price, and use the savings towards a nice 12" subwoofer for that jaw dropping effect. After all, what good is a system if it doesnt impress the family/friends as much as it does us? That's justification for our love of music and movies.

7. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Am really grateful to you TC :thumbsup: .
    So happy I do not have to spend a lot of cash to get good sound :) .

And yes, you are right. I will upgrade in about 3-5 years (Are you psychic?) ;)

I will go for the Yamaha RX-V1500, Sony STR-DA3000 or Sony STR-DA5000. I will pick whichever is cheaper, since it seems that any of the three will adequately meet my needs.

While we are on the subject, I might as well get a new DVD player and Subwoofer. Am currently using the Panasonic S75 for DVD.
    I am looking at the older Denon series.
    - Denon DVD 2900
    - Denon DVD 2200 (if I can find it)
    The Marantz range seems good but am not sure.
    The Pioneers
    Again I will be getting this one from the Middle East.

Do you have any suggestions for a subwoofer? I had been told about the Def Tech range. What do you think is good subwoofer for a decent price?

Help me out here as you seem to know what you are talking about. I’ve got some really great advice from you :thumbsup: .

Cheers