Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

I need your advice guys...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sweetdiggity, Jun 23, 2004.

1. sweetdiggity

sweetdiggity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am complete torn between two plasma solutions:

The panny pwd 6, or the Pioneer 434

There is a huge price diff between them, but I'm not sure I'll be able to take advantage of the higher specs of the Pioneer. I have a Kiss 558 DVD player on order, which has a tv tuner built in, would it be possible to use this for watching cable tv on the panny, or would this guarantee sync problems?
    Also, I seem to remember reading that hi-def content scaled down by a SD screen can look pretty damn good...

The pioneer seems like an all in one solution with the media box, but I've heard it can be quite noisy and needs an upgrade.

The screen will mainly be used for DVD and cable watching.

So I guess the question is; should I buy the panny now, wait for bluray and buy a real HD screen in 3-4 years, or buy the pioneer now and hook up the bluray / hdmi stuff then and enjoy I don't have a SD plasma that I need to get rid off first?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I assume you mean analogue cable? If so any tuner should tune the signal. Might not be very special, but if it's all you've got.... Pioneer are planning a revision of the HDE model in the 3rd q. which might fix some of it's drawbacks, but it's a fine television now. The panasonic looks a terriffic bargain currently, and IMHO you'll probably not miss the extra resolution from any proper viewing distance. The Kiss has component out I presume, so you might not even need a video board, just a 3 phono to 15pin d cable. You can assign the vga port on the PW6 as a component video input. 1 cable connection and money saved, what more do you want?

3. sweetdiggity

sweetdiggity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, the thing is, I've never had a plasma before, so I wanna make sure I don't make the wrong decision. Yes, the cable is analog, I guess the thing that bugs me is the audio sync problems I keep hearing about... I don't know... BTW, which board model would be best to buy for the setup?

Thanks again

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Audio sync is not likely to be a serious problem. As long as the DVD/tuner has component video out, you do not need a board at all, saving £100+

5. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. sweetdiggity

sweetdiggity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I guess that's one of the few perks of living in Denmark :)

Kiss won't start producing them for another couple of weeks, so I plan on getting it in a month or so.