I need to replace my watch!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mason, Mar 28, 2006.

1. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    A while backi lost my Tag Heuer watch when playing golf. I reported it lost to the police and claimed my insurance.

The claim went ok and they cannot replace the watch as it is now discontinued- it was a 2000 Exclusive model.

Thery are therefore sendiong me vouchers to use to enable me to go purchase another one- i should have them by the end of the week... £1000!

the question is what should i replace it with??

I am willing to add a couple of hundred to the vouchers so that should open a few other avenues.

I am looking at either... another Tag or an Omega.

What would you get... or do you have any other suggestions??

Thanks

G

2. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I have had a Raymond Weil for 3 years, only cost £800 so you may have a few quid left for something for the missus?.

I have owned Tags in the past and this is much better. I cannot see myself ever changing and if I do it will definitely be another Weil.

3. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    100'000.00 pennies for a watch...WHY?!!!...

How about this...:devil:

...oh and the warranty's pretty good too!

4. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just what is the point in buying an expensive watch, apart from the somewhat doubtful prestige which it supposedly confers upon it's wearer?
    They certainly don't keep any better time than the cheap and cheerful ones.
    I have an Omega Seamaster, bought in 1966, consigned to a drawer because I am fed up with paying 70 Pounds every four years to have it serviced.
    There is nothing wrong with it, but I now wear a 12.99 pound Casio digital, which keeps perfect time and has 5 year battery life. I don't have to worry about getting mugged, and if I break it, or the battery runs down, I can just get another one. It's four years old now, and still going strong.:boring:

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    ? If it's sat in the draw and nothing wrong with it you may aswell wear it.

I bought an Omega Seamaster. Fantastic watch. The 'main' benefit for me is that it is very comfortable to wear. Cheap watches just irritate the hell out of me and I end up taking them off.

The Omega will last me many years, being an automatic no need for batteries, comfortable, accurate, and yes it was a bit of luxury for me. I don't regret buying it at all.

Oh, and should I wish to dive down to ludicrous levels the watch will be fine.:)

So as you can guess, Omega gets a thumbs up from me.

6. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I have a Rado ( around £800) they are black ceramic , look good, feel good and keep the time well.

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    Get a second hand Tag and bank the rest. My Tag 1000 series was £160 (I don't really count that as expensive) in 1997. Coming up to its 18th birthday this year, it has required one battery and service (£30) and keeps excellent time. I think it is a nice understated design.

This is a photo of a slightly battered example from ebay. They can normally be found in rather better nick than this.

Attached Files:

8. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Just out of interest, how do you lose a watch playing golf ?!

A bet ?!

9. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    A Tag Carrera, with the leather strap. my favourite watch , all time classic (excuse the pun)

10. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Mine's a Rado too,lovely watches and much less ostentatious than some others.As to why spend a fortune on a watch,well why go to work if you don't get any rewards?Perhaps we should all live in small tin shacks,drive a horse and cart and eat gruel.;)

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I must admit that I've never seen the fascination with expensive watches. With hifi or cars or many other consumber items the more money you pay is reflected in the increased ability in what you are buying but an expensive watch tells the time exactly the same as a cheap one.

12. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    I understand exspensive watches, I just don't unserstand exspensive watches that they sell in WH smiths. It's like buying a 'top of the range' hi fi, from dixons. Why not spend some time doing some research and find a small watch company who only have a limited realise of watches a year and buy something really special. Also, you will have the added bonus that nobody will think it's fake and it's not as nickable. A personal favorite of mine are:

http://www.alange-soehne.com/en/03_contact/content_faq.php

Bit over budget I think though.

13. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Kudos and style Ian. When you are brokering a multimillion £ deal you've got to be able to flash your £10000 Longines watch under the noses of the prospective buyer . Try that with my £75 Casio G shock and you'd get laughed out of the room:D Having said that I believe my Gshock to be absolutley brilliant and wouldnt want anything else. It has several features which I admitedly never use like stop watch, but what is imprtant is that I can knock it several time and it never scratches or stop working and its also thoroughly waterproof :smashin: :smashin: :thumbsup:

14. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    Umm Ditto- the difference being that mine has gone up in value since I bought it and doesn't look like I'm wearing a duplo brick on my wrist.

15. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Actully £70 every 4 years is not that bad :confused: . If you dont it why not sell it?Look:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMEGA-SEAMAST...QcategoryZ11709QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

16. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    agreed, it's not even £20 a year, you should sell it matie rather than hiding it away in a drawer....it's a waste of good watch.

17. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Would people know if a watch was fake? At first glance probably not. I love fake products because they really take the p*** out of pretentious overpriced stuff-Burberry, Nike,Reebok, Dolce e Whatever and all the usual "names"

18. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    Depends what your interests are, would you buy a fake dennon amp? It's unfair to claim that watches are the same as clothes, good watches are examples of some of the most impressive engineering you can find anywhere. You can get one that will accuratly keep time for a 1000 years, without any computers. I find that amazing...

As for the watches you buy in WH Smith, I dont see the point in them, they're made by the millions in china.

19. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Ok... so you can spend £1000 on a TAG, £5K on a Rolex... but what about the really obscenely expensive watches.

The stuff that footballers buy. What are you actually paying for in those instances?

A bit of bling in some cases with some sparkly bits added. Are they really just for people to say "Look... I'm stupid enough to pay £50K more to tell the time than somebody that bought a Rolex, for no better reason than I'm gullible"

I can't justify a better watch than what I have now bit I'd love a nice TAG or Omega. But I can't see the point in the "price of a new car" type watches - except to show you're dumb rich enough to be able to afford one.

I can see the point of supercars because, in almost all cases, you can see where the money is going. Take the Bugatti Veyron as an example... it's actually sold at less than cost price!!!

21. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    It's all a point of view I guess. The complications added to the watches in the higher up price brackets are so difficult to achieve that yes, to some people it is worth the extra. They also have 18ct gold cases etc. However you have to bear in mind that when someone is looking to spend £50,000 on a watch, they probably view £50K the same way we would view £100. To take the footballer example, that is not even a weeks wages to some of them! :eek:

If I could afford it, I'd get one of these: www.rogerdubuis.com or the classic Patek Philippe.

22. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301

This reminds me of a reunion I went to a while back.I was wearing a very nice Breitling replica which cost me £10 in Spain.It was an unusual blue colour and attracted various unsolicited positive comments.A very good friend had a real £4000 Breitling on his wrist and was not amused as no-one commented on it:D

23. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Brilliant!:rotfl:

24. colinwheeler

colinwheeler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    You don't think fake goods like this are the same as piracy?

25. colinwheeler

colinwheeler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    On the watch side of things, I like the look of a nice watch and I could see why somebody would want to pay for one. They are a peice of art really so I believe that in the same way a Tina Turner poster and a Dali both cover wall space in exactly the same way, I would choose the Dali every time.

I solved the watch problem by not wearing one. I have time pieces for for diving and cycling but they get put on when I start and taken off when I finish.

26. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    No because if you mix in the sorta circles where you care about wearing a rolex then you will buy a real one because that's the sorta person you are. And if you buy an exspensive watch because you love them, you don't want a fake because it would undermine the whole reason you bought the watch. So the fakes are only infringing upon casio's market really.

27. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    I agree with the piece of art point. It's the same reason people buy B&O, mmm...

28. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    If it was a fake Denon that did precisely the same but at acheaper price I wouldnt have a problem at all.I'd go for it!
    Movement watches certainly do benefit from being of a higher quality but I wonder if that also applies to modern chip watches which are probably churned out by the million
    The point I'm making is that a lot people buy these expensive watches for the snob value - case of vanity and self agrandisement me thinks. This attitude permeates many sectors including hifi and designer gear

29. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    yes it is but in this case justified!People can still buy the genuine articles in the safe knowldge that what they have got is for real:)

30. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Thats called "keeping up with the Joneses":)