I need to know if these will be OK

Fejinwales

Ex Member
Reaction score
Please bear with me on this.

Please help, I need someone who knows about this stuff as I am confused by all the numbers.

My question is a simple one, but impossible for me to work out.

Will the speakers (details of which are below the AV Receiver specs) be OK for my Onkyo 606 AV Receiver with no worries about them being either under or overpowered by it?

Eventually I’m going to get a Pioneer VSX 921, but I will worry about that when the time comes.

In the AV Receiver FEATURES section at the beginning of the manual it states:-

90 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohms (FTC)
140 Watts/Channel @ 6 ohms (FTC)
175 Watts/Channel @ 6 ohms (JEITA)

This to me is way to confusing with all the differences, imagine how much worse it went when I got to the back of the book and read In the SPECIFICATIONS section…….

Technical specifications:

90 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven from 20hz to 20kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion 0.08% (FTC).
105 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion 0.7% (FTC).
110 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 6 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion 0.1% (FTC).

Then it says:

7ch x 140W at 6 ohms, 1kHz, 1 channel driven (IEC)
Dynamic Power 210 W (3 ohms, Front)
180 W (4 ohms, Front)
110 W (8 ohms, Front)

The speakers I want are the Jamo A 102 HCS 6 set. And these are the specs and on the label in the shop it said that these speakers were 60W RMS. I imagine that the figures for the receiver are not in RMS but I need someone who knows how to make sense of this stuff.

Suround speakers:
System Type Full Range Closed
Power (W, long/short term) 60/80
Sensitivity (dB,2.8V/1m) 86
Frequency Range (Hz) 150-15,000
Impedance (Ohm) 6

Front speakers:

System Type 2-way closed shielded
Power (W, long/short term) 60/80
Frequency Range (Hz) 150-20,000
Impedance (Ohm) 6

Centre speaker:
System Type 2-way closed shielded
(W, long/short term) 60/80
Frequency Range (Hz) 150-20,000
Impedance (Ohm) 6

Subwoofer:
System Type Bass Reflex
Power (W, long/short term) 200
Frequency Range (Hz) 38-200
Power Mode Switch Auto / On / Off
Variable Phase Control 0 to -180
Crossover Frequency 40 - 200
Impedance (Ohm) 22k

Thanks for the help.

Either receiver will be able to drive the Jamos, no problem at all. If you're listening at very high levels for long periods of time the A102s may not be up to it, but I'd worry more about your hearing at those kind of levels!

Thanks for that answer. I currently have a set of Yamaha speakers, they are larger but are 6 ohms and have a rating of 60w continuous and 80w short-term, the sub-woofer is also larger and more powerful at 10". The primary reason I wanted the Jamo's was the size difference to wall mount them. Is is worth changing the Yamaha's for the Jamos?

Please bear in mind that am going deaf (beacuse of the Gentamicin antibiotic I had a lot of in my teens after a bike crash), so my receiver currently turns on at 47, I sometimes have to go above 50.

Last edited:
edited out....

edited out.....

How many horse-power does your car (or any given car) have? And, are you always using 100% of the potential of that horse-power? I don't think so.

The same is true of speakers. The horse-power of an amp does not need to be precisely matched to the power of the speakers, because you are not running your amps at 100%. Typically you are probably not even averaging (long term average) more than 1 or 2 watts.

But, as the volume goes up, the power goes up much faster. So, a tiny change in volume at the high end of the volume dial creates a massive jump in power.

The Jamo are a well regarded speaker for their modest price, and as long as you are not trying to throw a Rave or Rock Concert, or you are not getting totally insane on the volume, you should be fine.

It is not uncommon for people to have amps that are rated at twice the power that their speakers are rated at. Now, in that situation, you do have to apply a large dose of common sense, but these people successfully operate for years without a problem. I've often said, it is not the power of the amp that blows speakers, but the guy running the volume control.

In general, as long as your keep the volume to sane levels, you should be fine. Keep in mind that sane levels can still be loud, just not ridiculously and pointlessly loud.

Steve/bluewizard

I am just wondering if the sound quality of these Jamos will be of a better sound quality than my current Yamaha NS-P440 set (which has a bigger sub-woofer). The size of the Jamos will make it possible for me to wall mount them unobtrusively, but although you have now convinced me that I can use them on my receiver and the Pioneer when I get one, I am wondering what the actual sound difference will be in my living room. MY decision now is weather to spend £250 on a set of speakers that I can wall-mount that I hope will sound a lot better as well (they sounded amazing in Currys).

Thanks for the advice, all I have to worry about now are the aesthetics.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom