• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I need to go to Roku apparently and would like to know

Tonyphotoplus

Standard Member
I am having to get a Roku product as at present Gaiam TV is viewed on my Xbox. They are going to take that luxury away from me. Sorry to see it go, but I am paying for the service and yes pissed off, so need to go and buy a Roku unit. But it seems there are 3 units. I have no idea what to get to ensure enough quality. I am hoping for the cheapest unit as money is very tight, but I would like to make a sound opinion to ensure I get the correct one. I don't want to buy one and find its not good enough. As I am not a tech person in anyway and I find reading lots is muddling for my morphined pickled brain I was hoping someone had simple info for me to digest. I have looked around but quite frankly I am getting confused. Too much information - Thank you for your help

Tonyphotoplus

Standard Member
Okay it seems that the streaming Roku stick is okayish from what I am reading. QUite frankly its only a guess. Apparently its slower. Now there is something that has to do with a cable that you link the stick to a USB port for some reason. Could someone explain this as I have no reply to my question. Just had more morphine and things are looking kinda not hanging together for me to understand. So please can I ask for explanation what this is? And as I don't have a USB on my TV can I link it to my Humax or Xbox? So that would be a cable from the stick to the Xbox/Humax. Thanks again for reading

ovbg

Established Member
The USB cable is used for power. In most situations, this can just plug into a TV's USB port (If that is a powered USB). If your TV doesn't have this, you can use a power socket. You should find a power socket in the box which the USB port plugs into so you can use juice from the wall.

You can use the Xbox, but I would imagine that needs to be on as well, so the wall may be better.

Here is my recommendation. Buy from a place like Amazon online, as they have a really relaxed return policy. Open the box very carefully, keeping all the plastic and protective bits on the device and test it first. Keep everything, and if after a couple of days you are not happy, pack it all up and return it.

I think you will be fine with it. The Roku is generally speaking a good product.

Tonyphotoplus

Standard Member
Thank you very much for the info I appreciate it. Will be ordering today

Tonyphotoplus

Standard Member
Could someone answer this. As I haven't a USB can I put an adapter to put on the com(VGA connection) port on the TV so as I can connect the HDMI to USB for the Roku?

Tonyphotoplus

Standard Member
Thank you for your reply. I think I have come to that conclusion now. Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom