1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to decide on a Sharp GA5E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by woody67, Feb 20, 2005.

1. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As the arrival of this model is imminent, and I have an option on one I need to make a decision if I should buy it.

I know about the lack of a digital input, but is this TV really going to be not worth buying?

Obviously the picture via component or scart is not going to be as good as a digital input, but as a CRT has had analogue input for years I can't see how the actual picture quality will be any worse than I have be watching previously.

I am not interested in Sky+ or HDTV at this time, but I would perhaps be connecting a HTPC in the near future.

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Surely you need DVI for a HTPC? I presume you are talking about a 32" screen, because the 26" and 37" are still around in the GA3 or GA4 guise?

3. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere that this model has a VGA input, but that was only in one place, and I've seen no other confirmation at all. Worse, there's still no manual link on Sharp's webpage.

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  5. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was thinking that my computer has been connected to an analogue LCD for a few years, so I could connect a HTPC to the Sharp in the same way - ie analogue.

I am assuming that the inputs will be the same as the GA3 and GA4 that it is replacing, exept minus the DVI connection

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Woody,

Without DVI or VGA connections, you will not be able to connect a HTPC and get high quality images. The only way would be to connect via S-Video from a Graphics card or fabricate a SCART cable from the VGA output from the HTPC. The second option is dangerous as it could damage either the HTPC or the TV !

I would suggest you wait a while (Few months) and take a look at the next gen LCD TVs. I've heard the new displays will be coming out quite soon.

Richie.