• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I need to create some business cards with my macbook, help please!!

leeince

Distinguished Member
I have changed over to Mac os and Im looking to create a business card for my friends company but what software do i use???

I would like some free software thats easy to use and will let me use some pictures in the design, if you could point me in the direction of such software I would really appreciate it, thank you.

westham

Have a look at this - Business Card Composer - I am using their CD/DVD printing software right now and am impressed with the features and usability.

I think there is a trial version available there as well.

Then go grab some of the Avery blank business cards and print using a high quality inkjet and you are done!

Best of luck, Mike

leeince

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all your replys, I actually have adobe indesign cs3 on my mac, the macbook was given to me with software already on it but I dont know how to use any of them lol!!! I ended up using word!!!

Beneve2008

NOOOO!

Indesign is much much better, try that. Word is basic in comparison!

I personally use Quark Xpress, but Indesign comes a close second for anything like that.

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Don't take this the wrong way but if your friend wants business card designed then he needs to employ a designer or at the very least a printing company that has designers.

So many times have I seen before (15 years in advertising) people who've bought themselves a PC with 15,000 pieces of clipart and they think they're a graphic designer.

Don't get me wrong, have a go, hopefully you and your friend will be happy but I think I've got an eye for layout and I can pass my stuff to a friend who IS a designer and he can make something I thought looked good, look so much better.

Typography matters, the right colours matter. How the logo looks in black and white and in four colour maters. A corporate ID needs synergy be it for a business card to a TV advert.

If I wanted to build a house, I wouldn't do it myself, I'd employ a builder. I think the same applies to corporate design.

Sorry if that sounded a little soapbox. I've had a couple of drinky poos.

Beneve2008

Well said MrSossidge

Having been in the printing/publishing industry since early 90's, couldn't agree with you more. The amount of adverts i have had to put right due to people "Doing there own" is truly remarkable.

Word + Clipart + comic sans does not mean you can design.

Experience is the only cure.

Bene

D

Deleted member 27989

When I make cards for myself I just use MS Word with the right 'avery' template. But as others say I don't pretend it is designed....Literally just black text as in name, telephone, email....

Home printed stuff looks horrible for anything else, resolution is not good, paper is not good, colours are not accurate etc...

simon12

I have printed my own in the past and by chance I came upon some heavy card that is glossy one side and matt on the other. I print on the glossy side and leave the matt side for anyone to write their own notes on.

By using a Windoze freebie I got years ago called Business Card Creator I have had some very good results. Downloaded a picture which I then treated in Paint Shop Pro, a bit of well-placed text and voila. People have actually thought I had them professionally done so it can be done but it did take me ages to get it how I wanted it.

Adan Daroski

Standard Member
Business Card Composer is a complete kit to create and print business cards, calling cards and badges. The package contains 1,000+ high-quality clipart images (24,000 in retail edition), 500+ ready-made designs (740 in retail edition) and advanced editing tools. Business Card Composer video tour.
The Logo Creator is cheaper and has been around longer. It does everything I need.

gabi_cavaller

Certainly agree with you and Mrsossidge (cool name)

However, we all have to learn from somewhere ......

Marketing is something that should not be cut on, specially on a startup, but neither is IT, HR, Accounts and so on.

Anyhow, if you have friends who are pro's, get them to have a look.

Either way, let us see your end result :)

Well said MrSossidge

Having been in the printing/publishing industry since early 90's, couldn't agree with you more. The amount of adverts i have had to put right due to people "Doing there own" is truly remarkable.

Word + Clipart + comic sans does not mean you can design.

Experience is the only cure.

Bene

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom