I need to choose. A long scart to tv or long interconnect to audio?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sponnie, Mar 15, 2006.

1. sponnie

sponnie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just been informed the the Cambridge Audio DVD89 is not available in black in the UK so I don't really want to put a silver one in amongst my black hi-fi stuff. I wouldn't mind putting it under the tv but that is 3 metres away from the amp.

I was going to use a 3 metre scart from the hi-fi rack to the tv because I'm more interested in quality audio rather than picture at the moment. I don't have a super dooper tv yet.

Would it make much difference to the audio sound if I have a 3 metre interconnect?

Thanks for any advice :)

2. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fibre Optic (Toslink) digital link is your best bet (not affected by distance)

3. sponnie

sponnie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for replying but my amp is totally analogue :(

4. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be concerned by the 3M distance A good cable will not deteriorate at this distance (or even triple it...) It'll be helpful if you supply the make/model of the TV and amp for more assistance from the forum regulars.

Paul. :thumbsup:

5. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    3m isn't a long way.
    If I'm worried about sending video, it's more than 50m (VGA / composite safety zone)
    If I'm worried about sending audio, it's 30m for unbalanced and 100m for balanced I start to panic - just buy decent interconnects (audio is the cheapest option as adding extra metres to scarts tends to cost £££)

6. sponnie

sponnie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there guys and thanks for replying.

My amp is a Pioneer Precision.

The tv is just an old Goodmans basic CRT. I'll probably relace it later this year. It does fine for me at the moment.

I was thinking of buying some quality cable from Maplins. The Pro Audio stuff at 3.49 a metre and soldering some phono connectors to it.

I think that would work out at about £30. I can buy a half decent 3 metre scart IXOS XFT02-300 for £20 but as I said I'm more interested in audio.

From what you say it sounds like it won't affect the sound at all either way so that is good.

I just wish Richer Sounds sold the DVD89 in black! I mean they are the sole stockists in the UK so why wouldn't they sell that one?

7. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Traditionally Richer Sounds used to sell off old models etc... so if they only sell what they can get and if they can only get silver.....

I don't know if that has changed or not?