1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need the best 36" CRT for under £2k.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by A.I., Mar 29, 2005.

1. A.I.

A.I.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I have decided not to go down the plasma route as I can't find one with a good enough picture. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. :boring: I will be conecting up all the usual including my ps2 and x-box. Please help as I have driven myself nuts looking at plasmas and need a quick solution. Help me find the best value 36" CRT for under £2k. Helllllllllpppppppppp. :lease:

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    VFM wise the Toshiba 36ZP48P is hard to match @ £1100 IMHO from JLs. Upwards of that your looking at the Panny PD-50 @ £1800, if your going for a 36" CRT I would definately be looking at a PAL PS TV with component inputs, which both the above have. Scart wise the Toshiba has 3 (2 RGB, 1 S-Video/Composite) 1 S-Video on front and Dolby Digital input from 2 devices (1 Toslink & 1 RCA SPDIF). Not sure what the SD50 offers connection wise.

PS Im very happy with my 36ZP48P especially PQ wise & soundwise.

3. sloopjohnb

sloopjohnb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm one of many spending a lot of time and effort to find the ideal tv (for MY needs). :boring:

CRT 36" - my vote would be the Toshiba. :smashin:

My worry is what will happen when sky offer HDTV? ...my research goes on.. :hiya:

4. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had 2 tx32pd50's. First one went back because of faulty picture and bad RGB scart problems. Second one didn't turn on at all so can't coment on the picture. I looked also at the Tosh but everywhere I saw it I did not like the picture. Even Hooked up on it's own feed for DVD to test it I didn't like it. I now have a Philips 32pf9986 LCD. Best set I saw out of all the crt and LCD's. Didn't even look at any plasma's.HDTV ready also.

5. A.I.

A.I.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Thanks for the advice folks. :clap: I had reckoned that the Tosh should be at the top of my list. You have proved me right. Some maniac :suicide: suggested i look at the Loewe but I reckon they are more style that form. Any final advice on the loewe front? :lesson:I do like the look but do they have the true quality?

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The panny TV in my opinion is better for YUV inputs (which your PS2 can do and I assume the xbox can too) than the Tosh. If you search this forum you will find lots of people reporting faults with both sets but what it doesnt take into consideration is the thousands of units of both that have been sold.

The Panasonic TX36PD50 can now be got for under £1100 and whilst it was only released mid last year to replace the PD30 series it is to be discontinued by mid this year so it may be worth seeing what the replacement flagship set is going to be if you are willing to hold out (it may be HD Ready but I havent seen any press releases yet)

Loewe are very good TVs but the name does carry a big price (even more so than Sony). You are also paying for a very stylish peice of kit (and normally have to pay even more for a stand for the TV) with the handy aspect of parts being upgradeable - eg adding hard disk recorders into the TV itself. If you have the money and want the style then they are a good option. If you want a decent picture but a TV that does look like a giant lump of plastic then I would test the Panny and Tosh against each other.

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i would have said the Sony KV36HQ100 but i'm told they have stopped making it?? :(

8. A.I.

A.I.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Thanks 2 all 4 taking the time to give me some good advice. Once I have viewed all and will let you know what I (we :eek: ) decide. Thanks to all again.
    :smashin:

9. system11

system11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I learned the hard way with this one from Currys.

It has an unbeatable amazing picture, a list of features as long as your arm and faultless geometry and convergence. There are bags of rgb scart connectors on the back, a nice foldout set of AVs on the side, memory stick support, scaling picture in picture and so on. It's a nice design too.

It also only has two 100hz modes and no 'off' setting, and a big processing delay. This makes it absolutely unusable for gaming, as what's on the screen is what was displayed a second ago game-time. Sounds trivial, but it's critical if you play games (or if you have external audio kit).

Nobody sells it anymore as Sony recalled them due to potential electric shock hazard. I was trying to get a refund out of Currys for mine due to the gaming problem, but had to resort to printing the recall before they would exhibit any signs of decent customer service.

If you just watch TV/DVD on the set, I'd recommend tracking one down then phoning Sony to have the safety modification made. It says a lot about the picture that I very nearly went for having 2 TVs in the lounge. Just couldn't find the space in the end :/

10. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't know about games but on DVD's the delay is between 100ms and 200ms. If you don't have an amp with delay then this device can sort it :-

http://www.felston.com/

Yes it's annoying to have to buy more kit but IMO the TV is worth the extra £160!!! The recall was done ages ago so any stock that is left over SHOULD have the mod done ;) Look for a GREEN round sticker on the back and on the box-that denotes the mod. There really was no danger of shock IMO when you see what the "mod" is-more like Sony covering their behinds!!(and tidying up the degauss coils :lesson: ) I really can't believe Sony have dropped this model-it had their fine pitch tube,surely they will replace it?? Trust me-NO plasma or LCD comes close to this TV!!!!

11. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    You didnt actually expect customer service from Currys did you? Certainly going to the wrong type of shop if you expect (1) Good Service (2) Good demonstrations (3) Good price

12. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sorry i disagree-yes they are muppets but i got really good customer service out of them-free upgrade from KV36FS76U to the Hq100,just need to give them enough stick!! I guess three FS76U failures in three months helped!!!..............

13. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree strongly. While this telly had had near perfect geometry I swapped this set to a Philips set due to 100 hz problems (macroblocking & movement delay), lip sync problem and somehow the reds spreading out in picture. There was a possibility of unlocking the old 100 hz mode from service menu but for a set which costed around 3000 eur I expected a way lot more.

14. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Early models only had one 100Hz mode-entering a code in the sevice mode gave you two options(as mine has and all later models). I've read on numerous forums about how this TV is "un-watchable" due to the 100Hz processing-I would much rather have SOME picture break up on FAST moving scenes(the only time digital motion breaks up) than 100Hz smeering as seen on other TV's. Personal choice i guess ;) anyway,this is a bit OT as he can't even consider this TV any more!!!

15. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my biggest problem was the damn macroblocks which somehow managed to present themselves even when there was no fast movement. Picture breaking while movement can be considered as a sort of general side effect of any advanced motion compensation technology but those macroblocks were too much for me; a section of the pic somehow managed to transform itself into a solid color pixel block.

16. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    no such peoblems here??!! Is/was(?) yours an early model? Was the feed digital TV?

17. sawtooth

sawtooth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I found a 36HQ100 today, ex-demo model and wait for it, they still asked £1699 for it! I love the set and I want one but there is no way I am paying that for a TV that has been discontinued, used for 6mths, no component input and never going to be HD capable, etc. If anybody finds a source of these sets (at a sensible price) please post or does anyone know if Sony will be making a newer equivalent? A 36HQ100 (plus HD ready, comp, etc) would be worth a £2000 price tag because I agree with the other replies, the picture quality of the original is second to none, plasma and LCD technology still doesn't do it for me.

18. system11

system11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For more info on the 36HQ100 delay effect, it was present with any source at all, and other people have noticed the issue when using external audio kit with the TV. Yes, an audio delay on your kit 'fixes' this, but it's no good for anything interactive - during games you're reacting to something that happened (seemingly) half a second ago. I tested this with Rainbow Six by the way. Hooked up to my old 28" Trinitron, quickly flick the control pad left and let it return. Picture on screen moved as soon as the control was flicked, stopped as it returned. With the 36HQ100, the stick had time to return to rest before the picture on screen had even moved. This was the same in either of the two 100HZ modes. If you don't play games much this might not sound like a big deal, but it's the difference between accurate control and accurate gameplay, you're always turning too far, moving too far, reacting too slowly because whats on screen isn't representative. The 100hz also made 60hz games very choppy where they shouldn't have been, as a side note.

Currys hadn't had the safety recall done on mine, they wouldn't even believe me initially that there was one, and Mastercare told them there wasn't!!! To be honest, I wasn't bothered in the slightest by this alleged danger, how often do we really touch our TVs these days? Surely not often enough that it has to be turned off in terror before Sony come to fix it. I used the recall as an excuse to force Currys to refund me, plain and simple.

Despite the fact that consumer protection laws say something must be fit for purpose, and despite the fact that the salesman knew I would be playing games, and despite the fact that a very nice girl on the helpdesk (who probably got into trouble over this) told me I could just return it, the manager decided that as there was nothing actually wrong with it, it was 'compatible'.

I don't know what Sony were thinking, the set even has a 'game' picture setup. As I say, if you play games (especially online, or arcade style), don't touch this set with a 10 foot pole, but if you're looking for a TV, it's stunning.

For any other gamers reading, I've been doing some digging. It doesn't make good reading actually. All were tested with a Japanese PS2 (a very new one) and a decent RGB scart cable:

Sony KV36HQ100 - picture delay, choppy 60hz
    JVC AV32X4EKS - top and bottom of screen missing, tiny delay, fuzzy edges
    Panasonic TX32PD30C - might have wrong model there.. bad geometry, fuzzy edges
    Panasonic TH37PE30B - fuzzy edges yet again, strangely stand is a HUGE extra cost, tiny processing delay
    Sagem HD-D45 - very strange, looked good until any sudden bright change, at which point the motion slowed down, was always pinsharp. Couldn't see the rainbows at all.
    Hitachi C42PD5200 - nice picture, wouldn't switch into 4:3 for some reason, I'm wondering if the single SCART socket on the back (note - single) is widescreen only or some such madness - it kept cycling 16:9ish modes.
    Toshiba 36ZP48 - closest so far, pity in 60hz the top and bottom were missing, and I couldn't test 4:3 as they'd lost the remote control....

Compare to the existing set:

Sony 28" Trinitron (about 4 years old) - sharp picture, perfect geometry, no delay, picture always the right size and position. Why am I changing it? Try watching a cinema aspect DVD on a 28" 4:3.

Getting annoyed with this minefield of picture processing we have today - why isn't anyone making any decent honest basic big CRTs? Plasmas still don't touch them - just compare the HQ100 mentioned above to even 3k sets with a DVD, no competition at all, the HQ beats them within an inch of their lives.

19. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought (and returned) my HQ100 during last summer. Granted the new Philips 36PW9618 wasn't perfect but it's flaws weren't at the same level as Sony's. Now I have a plasma and while it either isn't a perfect display device I'm willing to give it the "Next best thing"-label.

20. bert2

bert2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, replying as requested. I've looked at the lot and am leaning towards the Toshiba ZP48 as it seems to be as near to perfect as any and is available for under £900, even from JL. Would buy an older set with less digital processing if I could but they all have it these days and I will want to sell it in a couple of years when, I hope, plasma, or something with a bigger screen gets a comparable picture.

21. ajg

ajg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    old thread, but dixons are still offereing this for 800 quid... looks like a great bargain to me for that amount of cash. just one question, how can the audio be out of sync if connected up to an external 5.1 system? dont baffle me with too much tech info, just worried as my system has no time alignment facility

22. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too saw the Sony HQ100 at Dixons for under 800 quid but am concerned that cant play games.

Is it absolute that the processing delay cant be bypassed on the HQ100? How about the darling of this forum the Tosh 36P48?

Also, since ALL modern TV's (incl plasma/lcd) have some kind of processing, isnt it that all shud have this problem?

23. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When the TV's speakers are used the audio is delayed to compensate for the picture processing.With a external amp there is no delay(unless your amp has one) Sony GAVE me an amp with delay to sort the problem! With regard to the picture quality on this TV-Sony offered me a Plasma that was a lot more money than the HQ100-i declined as the pic. on the HQ100 is GREAT. Get an amp with delay and you can't find a better TV IMO.I doubt VERY much you will find one for £800 as i was told this TV was discontinued ages ago :(

24. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
  25. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  26. ajg

ajg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DRGL, phoned local store who can get sony for price stated in 24 hours. what a shame about the audio sync. no use tome. never liked the picture frame range tosh. smaller set or projector it is then

27. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    at that price i would still get it!! You could always get one of these :-

http://www.felston.com/

was that deff. for brand new stock? If it is i'll have a second one!!!!

28. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    We did loads of research on this a little while ago and assumed from the reviews that the Philips Pixel+ sets were the way to go. All the manufacturers have some sort of DSP enhancements, and the best pictures seeemd to come from those with the least processing artifacts. The original Philips Pixel+ sets were the worst offenders, and there wan't much to chose between the rest. Can't remember all the model numbers, but there was a clear ranking order:

1. Sony (expensive, but never regretted buying)
    2. Panasonic
    3. Other Philips (not bad)
    4. Toshiba (disappointing)
    5. Philips Pixel+

Many people now suggest that the Panny 36PD50 is now the top dog, but everyone on this thread seems to have forgotten the wild card, the European TV of the Year, the form-breaking JVC 36P38. That has poor DSP with standard signals, but it does take 1080i hi-def video on it's component inputs, which would lift it clear of anything else. If it's quality you want, get an HDMI-equipped DVHS player, a SDI-modded Sky box, and DVD player, and connect them to the JVC with a suitable high-definition scaler like a Lumagen and you will rediscover you whole DVD collection.

Or if you want a real wild card, get an over-size PC monitor instead of a TV. You can get them in 24, 29, 33 and 37 inch sizes, and they are not hobbled by the usual 15.6kHz or 31.5kHz horizontal refresh rates and 5.8MHz bandwidth. I have a Sun GDM 90W10 which has 120kHz and 360MHz respectively, but there are lots of other good ones like Sony, NEC and Mitsubishi. they don't cripple the PQ with poor video processing. With a good DVD, player and scaler, it is like watching high definition. I can sit one screen width away without suffering from lines, pixels, artifacts or loss of focus. Amazing what's on a good DVD that you can't see on a normal TV.

regards
    Nick

29. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I had heard from Panasonic that they will not be replacing the 36PD50 with another large crt set, the biggest they will go to now is 32''. If this is the way the others will go then the day of the big crt is well and truly over, so get them while you can.

30. ScootermanRoger

ScootermanRoger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone any opinions on the Panasonic TX-36PL32 ?
    How does this rate compared with either the 36PD50 (apart from looks) or any other currently available crt based tvs?
    I am very critical of lip-sync problems, and hence I am not a fan of over-processing. Does this set suffer, or is it very good?
    I currently have a Panasonic TX-33A1 (4:3) whose tube is on it's last gasp, but otherwise I have had more than my money's-worth since I bought it in 1990 for £1999.99. A fabulous set in it's earlier years, and still would be if it wasn't for its failing tube.
    BTW, when I enquired of Panasonic a few years ago re the cost of a new 33" tube, they quoted around £2500 !!! And that was only for supplying to an authorised dealer. Fitting would be extra!