1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need Sub Advice for Music

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Cookiedds, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Cookiedds

Cookiedds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to put together a system for my large greatroom to be used for two channel music only. I'll be using a Marantz PM7200 integrated amp to power a pair of Monitor Audio Silver S1, Totem Model 1 or Totem Rainmaker monitors. The room is quite large (24'x34'x9') and my wife won't go for a pair of full range tower speakers so I've decided to go with a monitor/subwoofer combination. I don't want to shake the foundation but I do want to extend the bass and free up the monitors to do what they do best (mids and highs). Any suggestions for musical subs would be appreciated.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I know you dont want a large full range speaker but.................Neat acoustics do the lovely MF 7s which go very low, look classy (have definite WAF) and sound fantastic. Im not keen on sub/monitor combinations (there are several people on the Forum that love them) they never seem to intergrate smoothly.

I should point out that a tower speaker has the same footprint as a monitor, they are just taller so they dont take up any extra space.

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Despite the very large size of this room your wife is obviously sensitive to its contents, appearance and space. And why not?

While one might be tempted to think a tower has the same overall dimensions as half-height monitors on stands. The visual effect is certainly not the same. Even if the swept volume is the same.

One might also be tempted to think that a pair of stand mount monitors only need a bit of extra oomph from a single subwoofer. But in a room that size you have to move some air to even become aware of the low frequencies. Few modestly sized loudspeakers will make any impact on that space. Particularly in the bass. Particularly stand mounted monitors.

My last listening room (though much smaller than yours) was over 30 feet long x 18 feet wide x two stories high at one end (for a third of the length) Monitors that had pleased enormously in a 22 x 12 x 7 room became completely dwarfed acoustically. So I made a pair of acoustically matching subwoofers for my shoe-box monitors on their stands.

The subs quickly became plant stands. A throw over cloth and large indoor plant on each sub soon made the 20" cubed subs invisible in our (very) spartanly furnished listening room. I only offer this information in the event of resistance from your wife towards further boxes cluttering up her room. Though you seem to have the okay for a single subwoofer already.

Any subwoofer recommendations from me would be purely third-hand hearsay. Neat box subwoofers would obviously be preferable to cylinders in your situation. The Onix Rocket UFW-10 would be worth investigating purely on musical reputation. Which you can discover yourself by browsing if you haven't yet heard of it.

Let your wife discuss the speaker & (hopefully) matching subwoofer finish to bring her into the equation. Thereby reducing any hostility towards invasion of her home territory by all these extra boxes. :)

Nimby

4. Cookiedds

Cookiedds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input Nimby.. You are right on with my wife's assesment. I currently have a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 60 towers and she says no way to the great room....they are banished to the dedicated home theater down stairs (great news for the Home Theater). I have a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s on stands up stairs currently and she is fine with their size on stands (she just doesn't like the tower of power look of traditional full range speakers). I have a Paradigm PW2200 in the HT downstairs now and a sub of similar size would work upsairs, I have room to hide it, and she is OK with a single subwoofer upstairs. I might be looking at a 15" Paradigm servo or 15" to 18" Velodyne to move enough air to make a presence in this room. I'm switching speakers upstairs to some precise, quick monitors and want a sub to match them musicallity. I'm seriously considering the newer Monitor Audio Silver S1 monitors and would need a very tight Sub to blend with their metal cone quickness. I'm much more concerned with a subwoofers ability to produce musically clean and articulate sound over the rumbling impact needed for movies. Any further suggestions on Subwoofers for my situation?