1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need some help

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by nopatience, May 17, 2005.

1. nopatience

nopatience

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im pretty expirenced with editing pictures, that is simple editing, which brings me here looking for help with something more advanced.

The software i use is paint shop pro 8, just one of those things like mac vs pc well i jumped on the PSP boat way back in the day and never caught the photoshop bus...so here i sit.

The camera i use is a fujifilm s5000.

The problem im having, is in the picture below, the sky isnt a solid black. I need to know how to remove or fix this. I want the colors to be smooth and consistant. Any ideas what i can do to achieve this without making it look cartoonish?

Example Image (200k)

now this is actually after using a brightening effect with PSP. Im just curious how to remove/smooth the colors so as to not see the blue/red noise.

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Not sure if this is going to be any help as I'm firmly in the PS camp myself and I've never used PSP so I don't know if it can use standard photoshop plugins. if it can then have a try of the noise ninja plugin (quick google search should turn it up). This has done wonders for similar problems I've had.

HTH
    owain
    PS - interesting shot, what is it?

*EDIT* - just had a quick look at the website and they do a standalone version: here have a go with that.

3. nopatience

nopatience

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    big thanks
    helped alot

that picture is some random debris and a structural beam from a building undergoind demolition

still fine tuning my abilities with the s5000, i might go back with the tripod and get some better shots, i dont think anyone alive can hold a camera still enough to get no blur with a 2 second shutter

but thanks again for the program

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    I use the freeware version of Neat Image for cleaning up noise in my shots, had a play with your picture and its cleaned it up nicely.
    However, you will be hard pushed keeping the sky black in a 2 second exposure with what appears to be a lot of ambient background light?

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    You've already received the advice regarding noise, which is good.
    I think the way to fix it, is as per the 'chasing sunsets' post. I am not a paintshop user but I understand that you can use layers. So copy the image onto another layer in paintshop that is superimposed on the original, with the noise reduced as well. Than make that image darker with the level controls in painshop, and use the eraser tool to clear the parts of the superimposed image where you want the ground illuimination. You will have to zoom in quite a bit and change brush sizes as you work...But paintshop should be able to do that...
    I tend to use a tablet for that kind of work, but a mouse could do the job as well...

Hope it helped...

6. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    for noise reduction software, try Noiseware, its free and its very very good, i find it much easier than neat-image

7. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    I find it difficult to understand how easier it could be than the 3 button presses Neat Image takes to clean a shot, but as I've not heard of Noiseware I'll give it a go tonight and compare them.