I need some help with an Onkyo hardware mod

vvv

Standard Member
Hi,

My brother-in-law recently returned to the UK after living in the USA for some years. He brought back with him two fully functional US spec 120V 60hz Onkyo TX-SR705 AV Receivers.

Sadly, he dumped one at the council tip after not being able to get it to work with a Maplin's transformer. The other one he fortunately gave to me after he bought a UK spec Onkyo to replace it.

I have been happily using my TX-SR705 with the 3.3Kva 110v 50Hz site transformer that I use with my electric cement mixer. I put a yellow 16A plug on it and the Onkyo sounds great. My wife doesn't like the yellow site transformer in the living room which is the main reason why I would like to modify it. Now that I know that this receiver has no problem working on 50Hz AC, I would like to modify it permanently to work on 240V 50Hz mains.

The Onkyo has a large 'HCPS' transformer inside for the amplifier and a smaller transformer that powers the control electronics. Does the HCPS have tappings for 240V? If so, do I also need to replace the smaller transformer for a similar 240V equivalent?

If I can't get the Onkyo to work directly on 240v 50Hz I will just get my electrician to install a yellow 110V socket in the house that is connected to a site transformer outside.

"If I can't get the Onkyo to work directly on 240v 50Hz I will just get my electrician to install a yellow 110V socket in the house that is connected to a site transformer outside."

All that for one amp? Converting that Onkyo to UK spec will cost a bit, so will a 110v socket.

I'd sell it.

vvv

Standard Member
I've already got spare 110v sockets, cable and a transformer but I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me if the HCPS is dual voltage and that it would just need resoldering on different terminals.

The only thing I need to buy so far is some plastic trunking for the rear speakers. I had a spare set of 6 Ohm speakers from an old Aiwa 5.1 system and some 6 Ohm Hi+Low Technics speakers that I've setup as bi-amped. I haven't spent anything on it yet.

Chuffy2

Novice Member
VVV, did you ever get anywhere with this? I am about to move back to the UK and am planning on taking my Onkyo TX-NR616 back with me. It is also 110v 60hz. I have a 1000w stepdown transformer back in the UK that I was planning on using it with, but was wondering if there was another way to avoid having the transformer laying around as well. Thanks.

vvv

Standard Member
Onkyo refused to help and I never went any further with modifying it because it works so well with the 3.3Kva builder's transformer. I don't have the transformer powered up all the time. I only switch it on when I use the Onkyo. It's been working well like that for two and a half years.