1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some help on rear projection tvs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kilboypowerhead, Feb 24, 2003.

1. kilboypowerhead

kilboypowerhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered a rear projection tv from currys, a Sony KP41DS1. It was an ex display model but looked to be in good shape and at £997 seemed a good buy. I even went with the extended gaurantee. Whilst flicking through the terms and conditions I noticed it said Rear projection TV lamps were excluded from the gaurantee.

Does this TV have a lamp in it?

The Sony web site says it uses a CRT. A post below mentioned only the LCD versions have lamps. Is the clause only relevant to these models?

What is the average expected life of these RP TVs? is it any shorter than a normal TV?

TIA

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

You say the tv is ex display. I think the lamps should last about 10,000 hours, maybe a lot more. They are quite expensive but I would worry about that nearer the time. 10,000 hours is a long time. However, if its ex display it may have been on every day for 10 hours or so. :(

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CRT's do not have lamps. They have three large CRT guns (Red Green Blue)

LCD have a say ~1000w bulb, which shines through the LCD panel.

Personally I wouldn't have bought a ex-demo model, as they leave the set on default contrast (100%), which can shorten the TV set life (plus might have logo/screen burn)

Check the screen for burn-in, if so take back ASAP!!

Nathan

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an RP set and took out a five year warranty and was surprised (Why should I be after being constantly subjected to rip off Britain?) to find the lamp was excluded.

I love the set but I despise the manufacturers who conspire with greedy UK electronics warehouses who rip us off at every opportunity...

I'll be a very difficult customer for Curries if the lamp goes sooner than it should.

You have been warned!

5. kilboypowerhead

kilboypowerhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, I just rang mastercare and the chap said the red,green and blue bulbs aren't covered. Are these the actual guns then or are they just part of them? And does anyone know how much they cost to replace?

Is it likely that they'll go or am I just being paranoid?:confused:

The problem is the bloke at Curries scared me by telling me they had one in at the moment where all three guns had gone and the chap was looking at a £900 bill! I don't know if he was just scaring me into buying the extended cover. Or if these things aren't covered I might have to go back and mention something about 'selling under false pretences':D

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You said the gurantree doesn't cover bulbs- therefore this means LCD projection.

If it dismisses the guns of crt projection (Red,green blue) then either yes he sold the extra warranty knowing you're not covered.

I know the 7" CRT's for the larger front projection are about £1000-£2000 EACH, so yeah I guess a full set could be £1000.

How likely are direct views gonna break?

It's exactly the same technology.

7. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the years of using hundrerds of pieces of AV equipment of all kinds, I have found that if it is going to fail, the signs show up early on in its life - flickers on the picture, noisy components etc etc.

If your TV is showing a nice clean and steady picture and not making any odd noises, it will probably be OK for a long time.

What shortens the life of these things is unnecessary switching off and on,so if you are watching TV over an evening, leave it on until you are finished with it for the night.

It goes without saying that the costs of repairing all big screen TVs will be higher than budget ones.

If it's any comfort, get a price to replace a 36" WS conventional CRT tube and you may not feel so bad!

8. topgooner

topgooner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check for screenburn mate i bought a 44ps2 from curr*** for 797.01 no remote or manaul tho it was fine in shop but when used at home had cur*** logo burnt in on light scenes not realy bad but a faint yellowy brown halo ,off putting because you know its there.as i say had a really good play in shop with it and could not see anything wrong with it but they did give a full refund on it

9. topgooner

topgooner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    robert whyte r doing 41 4 799 and ps2 4 1099 check it out

10. kilboypowerhead

kilboypowerhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help. The man from curries got back to me today to say the guarantee definately includes the guns and the lamp that isn't included is the replaceable ones in the LCD models. Mastercare are going to send me the full terms of what is and isn't covered. So maybe things will be ok after all:D

I'll make sure I go over it with a fine toothcomb when it gets here and send it back the moment it splutters or fizzes.

The Robert Whyte ones are ex-display too so I guess I'm taking chances which ever way. I prefer Curries cos at least I can go back and shout at people in person there if it all goes kaput.:rolleyes:

Michael

11. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mind, one thing I will say is Currys have been fantastic with me. I am on my 7th or 8th tv now in just over a year. Each one had the usual faults. Each time currys replaced them or tried to repair them. Whatever i asked really. GREAT SERVICE. I now have the sony px2 and so far so good. fingers crossed

shaun:smashin: