1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some help on my speaker upgrade.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chris, May 16, 2004.

1. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    OK here is the story so far......
    I've owned B+W 601,602, i then brought Mackie 624's......i now own M+K s85's.

What i'm looking for is a floorstanding speaker that has the same in your face high's and mid's of the s85 with the bottom end like the mackie 624.
    For me the s85 was just that bit better than the 624 with a sub, but now i have got an Arcam A90 comming in the next couple of days and fill that it will be a bit wasted on the s85's, seeing as it covers 20hz-20khz.

So far i have demoed AE evo3's, Quad 21L's, Dynaudio 52, 62, Wharfdale pacific evo 30's.
    The Evo3's only took one CD track to say no ( sounded to weak and cheap).(demoed with a nad something or other).
    The Dynaudio's also took one track as they sounded to much like B+W's for me ( to muddled and flat).( demoed with a roksan kandy mkIII amp and player).
    The Quad 21L's were nearly there, but had as much bass weight as the s85 ( which is quite good seeing as these are supposed to cut off at 80hz) so not as good as haveing the sub, but not quite as good as i want without the sub.(demoed with the nad stuff again).
    The whalfdale evo30's were as good as the Quads ( and so they should be, as they are made by the same people), but i thought as it had a dedicated bass cone it would have been better.( demoed with the roksan mkIII and player).
    So as you can see, i'm not getting there at the mo.

Demo CD's are Evanescence, fallen Track 4, 5 and 9.....Sex Pistols, never mind the ******** track 8 and 10......christina aguilera ( first album, 2 disk) tracks 3 and 10.......Elton john, goodbye yellow brick road track 1 and 2.

Tommorrow i'm going to demo the quad 21L's again, but hopefully through an arcam setup, also the spendor s8e's and poss quad 22L's.
    Then i got another demo booked at a different location, after the first one with the PMC GB1's through an arcam setup and poss might be able to get them to demo the B+W 704's.

Is there anything else i should be demoing, between £500 and £2000.

KEF is a big NO,NO as i dont like the looks/style (sorry all you kef owners) apart from the ref range, but they start at £2000, so just out of my budget.

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't the Quad 22Ls go lower?

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    OH YEA....i sould mention that i am looking for Floorstanders that have a decent Center channel speaker, as these will be used as my L/R in the A/V setup.
    Also, if youre intrestead, i'm currently useing the s85's with the denon 3803 and Arcam DV89.
    CD mode on the 3803 in pure direct, with the sub channel OFF and it sounds OUTSTANDING...............I should really keep useing the s85's but haveing just brought the A90 i dont want to waste it.

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    They do go lower, but as i have only got a small room ( 12' by 13' ) i thought i'd better not get anything to big and over power it.
    But going by the Evo30's i dont think my room is to big, as IMO they would have sounded a little lightweight in here.
    This is why i'm going to demo the spendor s8's and the Quad 22L's.

There must be something that can equal the S85's but with a bit more low end and in a floorstanding design.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I'm very happy with my Linn Ninka's coupled with my Arcam A75+/P80 combo bi-amping them. They sound fantastic with both music and movies but you do need the base upgrade to get the best from them.
    They offer wonderfull bass , very good mid range but maybe not the in your face highs your looking for. They also offer a good upgrade path from bi-wiring through to fully active which was the icing on the cake for me:) The Trikan centre is a very good match too and also has all the upgradability the Ninka's offer too.
    Definately worth a listen imo as I listened to all the usual suspects like you have, but felt the Linn's gave me that little bit extra I was looking for.

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have looked at the linns before......but never listerned to them.
    They always seem to give crap specs compared to others ( Iknow, I Know...you should never go on specs alone) unless you make them active.
    The dealer i am demoing the PMC's at, also has linn's.......maybe i sould ask for a demo.
    Although i might not need to ask, as this dealer is always trying to sell you something other than what you asked for.... :eek:

7. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I would advise you take a listen to the Monitor Audio Silver and Gold range They have quite a detailed and bright side to them, most other speakers I listen to I find a bit on the dull side!!! The S1 I own are also quite a punchy sounding speaker once they've got a bit of room to breathe, so I can only imagine the floorstanders in this range would be similar.

I haven't listened to the Quads though, so I don't know how they'll compare!!

Giz. :D

8. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The trouble with MA is that the dealers by me are part of the sevenoaks chain and their demo rooms are so small, it would be like sitting in my shed ( not saying that i dont like sevenoaks dealers....i've had some goodish advice from them) and they can never understand why you would want to listern to music without a sub.

If i get no joy with the others, then maybe i might try and give them a home demo.
    thanks gizmo 76.

9. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    The guy at my local sevenoaks looked at me bemused after I demo'd the S1's without a sub as well. :laugh:

Giz.

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi chris
    I take it when not using the sub you are sending a full range signal to the s85s,I thought the s85s crossed over at 80hz.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

11. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chris if you can find a dealer in the UK try the POLK rti 12 floorstanders which retail here in Germany for circa 2000 euros their bass is seismic and they provide an interesting alternative to the usual suspects ie MA etc. You will see a spec on them at www.polkaudio.com

ATB

Kid Rock

12. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    That is true.....
    But i swear i am getting a slight amount of bass from them, not like the sub or a floorstander, but just enough to add a bit of weight to the music.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions people, but my quest is over.
    Tommorrow afternoon i am picking up my new PMC GB1's.
    My first demo today consisted of Spendor s8's....too big for my room, but nice bass response, they then changed them to s6's.....still nice bass, but the Mid's just sounded all muddled and not very nice.
    Changed to Tannoy Eyris ( not sure on the model number) again it sounded very muddled in the mids, no where near as clear as the s85's.
    Then tryed the Quad 21L's......now there's that mid and high i was looking for and quite a bit of bass...i think the demo room was adding a bit, as sometimes at high volumes it was a bit overpowering.
    So this was the one, i thought.
    If the PMC's are no good then i'd get the Quads.
    On to the next dealer to hear the PMC's.
    Well what can i say......Wow.
    It only took 2 or 3 tracks for me to know.
    The bass was brill, the mids were brill the highs were brill and infact they were more forward than the s85's...amazing, a speaker that is more in your face than the s85.......i was in love.
    I also placed an order for the matching center speaker, but have to wait about 3 weeks for it, as it has not been released yet.

Am i happy or what... :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

13. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Chris
    If you dont mind what did the front three cost you.
    Cheers Gonzo.

14. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    A couple of quid over £1340.
    The front 2 were £995 and the center was just under £350.
    I thought they sounded so good that i never evern bothered trying to haggle a deal.
    I'm sure there will be the odd deals to be had at various dealers and you might be able to get the normal 10% off.