1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some help diagnosing a fault with my system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by twids, Aug 23, 2005.

1. twids

twids

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha AX750 amp, Mission Fs1 speakers and one drunken fool for a friend. ;) I left him alone with the system the other night, I switched on it on last night for the first time since and I'm now getting no sound through the speakers apart from the sub-woofer. So far I've tried the following:
    • Checked the speaker connections
    • Selecting differenet sound inputs (telly, dvd, computer), all have same problem
    • I've done a factory reset on the amp to try and alter any settings he may have changed
    • I plugged in some headphones and am getting sound through them.
    None of the above had made any difference and I'm stumped for ideas on what to try next to isolate the problem. I'm going to try and get hold of some speakers to try and connect directly to the amp rather than go through the subwoofer after than I'm running out of ideas.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    How is your sub wired, via coax or speaker cable?

3. twids

twids

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speaker cables, the Mission subwoofer has a built in amp, all the satellite speakers feed into this. There is then one cable that exits the subwoofer, at the end of this cable it splits into separate cables for the subwoofer (goes into the subwoofer jack on back of amp) and the satellite speakers go into the relevant speaker terminals.

The subwoofer looks like it has power as the green power light is on.

4. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's possible the muppet has blown all your speakers! I blew my centre (Mission FS2AVs) by turning the volume too loud (I had the centre at +5dB so thankfully only blew the one speaker). When this happens with NXT speakers they tend to just stop working rather than distort. Try wiring the speakers direct to the amp, set the speakers to small on the amp and keep the volume down. If you get any sound you know the speakers are okay. If not, your "friend" owes you a new set of NXT panels. You can buy the panels as spares from Missions and just replace them but it may be just as cheap to buy a complete new set (it cost me around £50-£60 for one new NXT panel). Mission's customer service department are very good and may be able to offer more advice (+44 (0) 1480 447700).

5. twids

twids

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bugger, I was hoping the lack of distortion meant this wasn't the case.

Thanks, I'll give that a go, otherwise my "Friend" isn't going to be able to afford to get that drunk for a while. :D

6. twids

twids

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tested the speakers on another system and they all worked properly so then connected some other speakers I knew worked to the amp and still had no out-put so it looks like it's the amp and not the speakers. :(

7. sillybeans

sillybeans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a way to reset the amp to it's defaults?

8. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe it's just a blown fuse? Most amps have a protection system to stop them blowing so worth checking the manual or website for details.