1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some help connecting my A32, A52 and Yam630 together

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Cameron, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there all, I have just added a halo A52 to my system (Arcam A32, Yam 630 AV amp).

I used to go Yam 630 pre out L&R into my A32's pre-out. I now pre-out the center, surround l&r to the A52 from the Yam 630. I connected the A32 to the A52 thus using the A32 as a pre-amp and was amazed at how much better it sounded in stereo.

So, how do I go about setting it all up so that the following happens

Yam 630 pre-out > A32 > A52 pre-in for the L&R

Yam 630 has pre outs, A32 has pre outs & power in, A52 has pre-ins.

is it possible or do I need to add something like an A23 which has a loop as well as pre-ins so that I could perhaps do the following.

Yam 630 > A32 > A23 > A52

In the end I want my Yam 630 to act as a processer, my A32 to act as a stereo pre-amp and the A52 to drive the channels. I hope this all makes sense! :)

thanks

CaM

2. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Assuming your A32 has a spare aux channel ...

Yam 630 Pre-Out (main) > A32 Aux in
    A32 Pre-Out > A52 Pre-In
    A52 > Main Speakers

To listen to stereo material, you connect your source (CD player?) to the A32, leave the Yamaha off and control the volume with the A32.

However, when you want to listen to AV, you'll need the A32 volume set to about 12 o'clock (or whatever point gives you the right balance with the surround / centre speakers) and control the system volume with the Yamaha. Obviously the DVD player is connected to the Yamaha and the RL, RR, C channels are connected directly to the power amp (as they currently are).

Hope this helps. :)

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I have my A32 setup nicely for stereo and av (i.e. I use the fixed processor mode) so getting stereo/av out is no problem. What I needed to know was how to connect my AV amp, A32 & poweramp all together at the same time so that I can listen to stereo or av through the poweramp with out switching cables.

From what you are saying as long as I have an Aux in (which I surely must have) then that is how I first make the connection to the A32 from the AV amp. I used to have it connected from pre-out to pre-out and it was working fine but now that I think about it going from pre-out to aux-in makes more sense :)

hopefully I have it sorted.

thanks for your help.

CaM

4. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    You should be fine. Just remember (after watching movies) to turn the volume back down on the A32 before listening to stereo material ... 12 o'clock is pretty loud if you suddenly stick a CD on!

5. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That won't be a problem as the A32 has a fixed gain mode so the A32's volume is controlled by my Yam 630 when in av mode.

It was the added complexity of my new poweramp that was giving me the headache :)

thanks for your time.

CaM

6. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I went home and made sure it was connected as follows

Yam 630 L & R Pre-Out (main) > A32 Aux in
    A32 Pre-Out > A52 Pre-In
    A52 > Main Speakers

but when I start the tone test I don't get any sound out of the front L & R. Is there anything else I'm missing? Is this how you have your system setup?

thanks for your time.

CaM

7. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Have you switched your A32 to Aux?

I haven't got the same kit as you, but yes ... its the way I connect external processors / receivers to my pre-amp and AV power amps.

Your "fixed gain" AV mode might not work, using the Aux in ... so you might have to turn it off and set the main speaker volume to match the centre / surrounds as suggested in my first post (my stereo pre-amp is set at 12 o'clock when playing DVDs).

8. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, yep it's set to aux. I also tried the av input. I just talked to arcam and they said i could try the following

set the A32 to integrated mode (not pre/power)
    Yam 630 L & R Pre-Out (main) > A32 Tape in
    A32 Pre-Out > A52 Pre-In
    A52 > Main Speakers

I guess I'll try this when I get home. If you can do it though it at least gives me hope that I might be able to figure it out. Surely people out there must do this quite often?

thanks

CaM

9. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I guess yours is a bit more complicated because your stereo amp is more sophisticated than my Rotel (I just have dials! - no menus or anything like that).

Anyway, sounds like Arcam are just suggesting a variation on the same theme ... I can't see there would be any difference in using the tape in versus the aux in, the difference must be in the "integrated" versus "pre/power" modes.

Happy tweaking ... :)

10. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

CaM

11. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: