1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some entirely basic help

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Ed Selley, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    I have recieved an Iriver IHP140 or whatever it is called this week for my Birthday/Christmas present and to be honest I am on the verge of smashing it to atoms in fustration. How can something so ostensibly capable be so hard to use? There seems to be a number of happy Iriver owners on the forums so I am hoping that they can impart some wisdom before I just completely give up :(.

1) How are you actually putting music on the thing? I initially tried my original intention of sticking WAV files via optical on to the unit but found the bloody thing didn't track mark so canned that. I then reluctantly turned on my computer (which I am not desperately good with) and installed the software etc. When I tried to transfer music via Media player (WMA Lossless?) I was a little distressed to find it didn't want to know. So how do I make the thing work?

2) I have found the 1.6 version software on the website but am having problems with that too. Following the instructions online to the letter, I downloaded, unzipped and installed the file in the ROOT of the 140. When I again followed the instructions, the unit showed the upgrading screen, turned off................. and turned on again with the 1.31 software still in place :confused:. What am I missing?

Please could somebody try and point me in the right direction with this thing? I am unwilling to take it back because it cost the gf a fair amount of money and it should be an excellent product but the support for computer thicko's like me is sadly lacking. Any answers appreciated.
    Ed

2. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does placing the new firmware manually on the machine automatically update it? The only reason I ask is because I placed newer firmware on an Archos machine thinking that was all you had to do, but then found there was an update option in the set up menu. After placing the file on the machine I had to press update, and then it searched for newer firmware. After it did a reboot it was up to date.

Iv'e never used an Iriver so could be talking rubbish.

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    The upgrade option must be selected in the access menus- as stated it shows it is upgrading but then doesn't- most bizarre.