Question I need some advice on my HDMI shortage.

TuffGnarl

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Hopefully this is in the right section of the forum.

I bought a Sony XF90 a few weeks ago. Great TV, can't fault it except that it only has two HDMI 2.0 ports. Initially I didn't think this would be a big issue, but no matter which way I set up my three devices (heavy duty PC, PS4 Pro, Apple TV) there's some compromise; mostly HDR.

So I looked into switches, which I used in the past with my old HD TV but it seems that HDMI 2.0 switches are few and far between and the ones I've seen look pretty dodgy.

Can anyone recomend a solid switch that's capable of 4K and HDR?

One of these switch will do, though it supports 4K 60hz + HDR10 it does not support Dolby Vision HDR so you will have to keep the AppleTV plugged directly into the TV if wanting to keep that DV support.

If the PC and PS4 Pro are just for games they can share the same display preset of game or PC mode, the PS4 Pro only invokes HDR10 nothing else and Windows HDR is the same.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to have a look at those switches.

However I think I've just made a discovery and I'm wondering if either of you can verify. I just moved the Apple TV to one of the 1.4 ports and, sure enough when it asked me if I'd like to try Dolby Vision, the screen went blank and eventually reverted during the test. However, under “other formats” you can select 4K Dolby Vision at 30Hz and it works, no blank screen or waiting for the settings to revert. TV info bar comes up with the Dolby Vision logo. I read this was a work around somewhere but is it definitely working or is it more the case that it's simply running 4K at 30 and telling the TV that it's an HDR/DV signal?

If it is working then I don't see any drawbacks because I don't need 60fps to watch movies or TV which is primarily what I bought the Apple TV for.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom