1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some advice... £2k to spend...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gul, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Gul

Gul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a right nightmare recently, bought a Sony 32FQ75 from Dixons but found it to be faulty!! The set was written off by Mastercare and in return I was sent £2k worth of vouchers to use at Currys, Dixons, The Link or PC World!!

I want a 32" or 36" TV with a DVD player and am lost as for what to go for???

The Sony 36FS76 looks ok but I hate the stand, it looks like it's been borrowed from a 28" set!

I've been thinking about the Philips 36PW9607 36" Pixel Plus jobbie with the Philips DVD Recorder but would welcome some advice from anyone out there....

A plasma would be nice as I could add a few hundred pounds but are they as good as the good old CRT? What is the life expectancy of a Plasma?

Please help me..... the only problem I have is that the stuff MUST be from a Dixons or Currys - so I can't take advantage of all those discount places out there.

Cheers guys.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They didn't give you a credit card refund?

I would checkout the Philips Pixel Plus sticky....

You can get a budget Plasma for £2K. Personally I feel Plasma needs a few more years to develop to beat a decent CRT. Or you can get a CRT RPTV, although they need more work to look their best, per inch are alot cheaper than a big name Plasma. Dixons do sell RP's.

Regarding DVD player, either Toshiba-the models from £99 to ~£200 or Pioneer 656A at £300.

Regarding Plasma life span- approx 10,000+ hours. Be aware that Plasma screen is pretty much unservicable, if the screen dies after the warranty you're looking at a big repair bill. Also Plasma have Pixels, which can die.

3. Gul

Gul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Nathan

Re: the Credit Card refund.... I spent £600 on the Sony 32FQ75 but it had an annoying Buzzing fault, they refunded me with £2k worth of vouchers to enable me to buy a 'Similar Spec. Set' who was I to complain??

I've got until the end of May to find what I want and get it.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you like CRT RPTV's you can get a Toshiba 50WT29B for £1900. Requires tweaking, but once spot-on, beats a Plasma for black level, resolution (no pixell-ness), value for money, and servicability. £1900 From Currys website.

Suprised they gave you a extra £1400. Very unusual that!

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you're interested in a plasma, comet have cut the price of the philips 32 inch jobby to £2500. If Dixons/Currys stock it they'll price match it.

6. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Go back and demand a refund. You are entitled to it by civil law. If they refuse mention Trading Standards and they'll only be too happy to give you the money back.
    Then you can buy a lovely Loewe TV and a Pioneer 757ai.

7. Gul

Gul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I get a refund I'll get £600 - the original purchase price, but I have £2k of vouchers in my hand as we speak...... need I say more? I'm £1400 up.

I'll have to pop in and have a look at this Philips Plasma for £2500 at Comet and see if Dixons sell it.

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How the hell did you get £2000 of vouchers when you only spent £600. Is the manager thera fool!!!!:zonked:

9. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gul,you definitely have to take advantage of those vouchers!Even at the currys group inflated prices you can't lose.If you have the room I'd suggest a big(42"+)screen with that kind of moolah to blow.I think whether you go the rptv or plasma route depends on how dark you can get your viewing room,there are some smashing rptv's out there but you really need an almost pitch black room for them.If that's not possible(or you have a missus it'll antagonise!)then plasma's the way to go.I wish I'd gone the extra financial mile when I bought my 32" Philips:(

10. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the sony PX2 rp tv. I can watch it in daylight with no problems at all. I had a FQ75 before this and I cant see any difference in picture quailty. Night or day viewing.

shaun:smashin:

11. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shaun,that's interesting to know,I just advised a friend his lounge was too light for a rptv,do you know the cd/m2 rating for your set?

12. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the cd/m2 WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey im no Guru. This set is great and DVDS are FANTASTIC. If you are not straight on to it then the pic is a little darker apart from that the pic is just as good. Crisp, clear and vibrant. Does not look like a RPTV pic at all

Shaun

13. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Candela per square metre,a way of measuring the brightness output,I believe a standard crt would be between 400-450cd/m2.The rating would give me an idea how it compares to a normal crt t.v.I like the look of those Sony's,pity I live in my parent's loft,too tall to get up the stairs!

14. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a look in the instuctions and I cant fing anything on that. Downstairs we have a sony 4;3 tv. About 1 year old. When I venture down to watch tv on that one instead of my PX2 I can see no difference in brightness/picture quality etc. Looks the same. In fact I feel mine looks better.

cheers
    shaun

15. Gul

Gul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm lost guys, I've got £2k to spend on a TV
    it has to be a CRT as I've measured up a RPTV (Sony 44") and it would just dominate my lounge.

36" is the size and until recently I'd decided upon the Philips 36" Pixel + job (new one which due out in May) then I read the stuff on this site!!!!!

What you think? should I wait for the new Philips which MAY have the problems sorted or should I go for something else?

Like the Sony 36FS76 but the stand looks like it's been borrowed from a 24" TV - bit ugly.

Please help......................

Love the site, very useful.

16. ajbm325ic

ajbm325ic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Change your lounge!!!!
    Like shaunthedude, I too have a PX2 and it looks and performs fantastic, the picture quality has been excellent in all light conditions but really excells at night with dvds using a good RGB scart. Pals ask me if it was £3k - £4k as they think it's "one of those plasma things" If you don't want to spend any extra on a sound system then the virtual dolby impresses too.
    I pondered for 4 wks deciding which set to buy, I can remeber being on the same thread as shaunthedude whilst many of us where deciding whether or not to go for the PX2, and was finally steered towards the PX2 on its 'plasma-like' looks and previous reviews of the PS2.
    Other owner's opinions are a good guarantee of satisfaction but as people can be biased and have personal preference over makes, models, colour, screen size, a trip to a local shop who stocks the lot is a worthy option.

Sony kp44px2
    Yamaha dspax620
    Sony dvpns700
    Eltax Liberty Centre
    Eltax Libert 5+ fronts
    Eltax Bipolar rears
    Eltax Sub 8

17. ajbm325ic

ajbm325ic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way check the overall physical size of all the sets as my 44" PX2 is only 10mm height and 10mmwidth greater than my dad's 32" Tosh. This is due to the side speakers on my dad's Tosh and the fact that the PX2 size is all screen.

18. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gul,take notice of these guys with rptv's they know what they're talking about.A workmate of mine bought a 50" Sony this week and after helping build the stand and mount(oo er!)the t.v,I acknowledge I was wrong about the brightness level of the room.It was full daylight with the curtains still open and it shone as bright as any crt.If the dimensions between rptv and crt are that minimal you need to think again,otherwise you're going to be thinking "what if" later on.

19. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Gul,
    The trouble with NEW sets are they may have fixed older faults but induced newer ones.
    I thought I once read that Loewe were going to sell through currys/dixons. I may have been mistaken, it may have been comet, but if it is currys I think it may be worth finding out if there is one near you.
    Loewe make top sets as you would find by doing a search on this forum.
    If you do find one, it may even be worth making a journey out of you local area.