1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need serious help by Saturday 13th on selection Sony or Marantz

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dolbyz, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently I have a Sony DVP-NS955 DVD/SACD player, used for both those purposes. Everything on the player is brilliant - other than the fact that this model line up (all the 955's I've tried) refused to play an SACD I have in multichannel. The SACD is not at fault, as I've tried 10 different players and two exact copies - but both these fail on this particular Sony. To cut a long story short, I am now planning on selling this player and purchasing a used Marantz DV6400 ... or am I?

This is where I'm stuck - and have till Saturday to make up mind. I can't figure out if I want to rid myself of the Sony or not. Check these, and maybe someone can help?

Money does make a difference - and I cannot go over the used Marantz DV6400 price.

The advantages of the Sony ...

The Sony has 108mhz/12 bit video DAC vs the Marantz 54mhz/10 bit

The Sony is a brand new and still current model, versus the Marantz model being 18 months old and replaced already

The Sony has a 103db dynamic range on DVD, versus the Marantz 100db on DVD (CD playback doesn't bother me)

The Sony keeps the DSD stream when playing SACD, the Marantz converts to PCM and outputs

The Sony plas DivX, versus the Marantz that can't

The Sony is a QS model (high grade components and parts)

Due to selling the Sony out of hand, I must pay in 1/3 extra on the Marantz

The Sony was bought brand new (guarantee), the Marantz is preowjned

The advantages of the Marantz ...

It plays my SACD 100%! It PLAYS ALL my SACDS 100% my with no errors!

It has the advantage of playing DVD-Audio as well

It is a Marantz, versus the other being Sony

The Marantz has bass management for both DVD-A and SACD

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It sounds like you have had a good play with both.......
    Which one do you prefer......??
    You must have either amazing ear's and eye's or a massive screen (15 ft projector screen ) and a sound system to die for, if you can tell the difference between 108mhz/12bit v 54mhz/10bit and 103db v 100db dynamic range.
    I'd go for which one looks the best to me, both in the rack and on the screen.
    I've got an Arcam dv89 and a denon 2900 and apart from the denon haveing no layer change, there is no difference in my setup.
    I'm lucky thow, as i have 2 system racks, so the dv89 looks good sitting above the Arcam A90 in one rack and the 2900 looks good sitting above the 3803 in the other.

Which ever one you buy, you will always be thinking......" i wonder if the other one would have been better ".
    Go for something totally different and then you dont have to worry.

3. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I HAVE the Sony already ... amazing machine.

I'm getting the Marantz to demo for a few days, but havn't seen it as yet.

I'm not sure if I'll hear 103db/100db dynamic or see 108mhz/54mhz DACs ... but I'm researching first - hence the reason for coming to the forum. I'm gathering from your comment that one will not see or hear the difference - which is perfect.

But you brought up another concern : layer change.

I need to compare these - as this is actually pretty important too! How can I find out were the layer change is in a DVD? I can't be bothered watching an entire movie searching for it. Is there an easy way?

I suppose in the worst case I can use my old Sony which has a graphical layer change indicator ...

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If your worried about layer change............

Which by the way is my biggest bug bear with DVD.... :eek: :mad: ( dont think i have mentioned that before.... ;) )

Go DENON.....no messing.....get a 2900, good PQ, SQ, seemless movies......

Film heaven...... :clap: :clap:

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Just as a pointer....( unless it's changed nowdays..).
    The longer the layer change, the better the laser focus on the disk = better PQ.
    Unless it has got a real slow drive.
    My Arcam 89 takes longer than my pioneer 565, but then the 89 gives a better PQ (takes longer to focus).

I think Denon are the only one at the moment, with a top quality laser assembly/ drive and a buffer.

But this is IMO.

6. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 955 very rarely shows any layer change at all, and when it does it is very quick and hardly noticeable.

7. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rockhopper ... can you not beg, borrow or steal a copy of the Celine Dion "All the way : A Decade Of Song' SACD ... ?

I really want to find a person that has the same error as me with the 955/Celine Dion SACD! If you can, play it in multichannel mode - and it'll die at track 6 01:06 seconds.

The SACD will die on the lower LS780 series as well - as the same point. I've tried 3x 955s now and 1x 780 which do it. No one can explain it, nor fix it. Yet it'll play in other Sonys I've tried, as well as Marantz and Yamaha.