1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need roughly a 23" HD LCD for my future xbox 360 - what would be best?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mortii, Jun 19, 2005.

1. mortii

mortii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason i want a 23" is that they are about all i can afford. Just found out the 360 will be hd compatable and so i want to know if anyone has any advice on what i should get. There must be others out there that are in the same boat ie. want the cheapest HD experience for the next generation consoles!!! Note, i live in England if that effects any compatability issues. Any help would be much appretiated.

jon

2. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I'd wait until nearer the time the Xbox 360 comes out, as the way LCD prices are falling, you'll probably be able to afford a 26 or a 30" by then! :smashin:

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    Good advice. I bought a 26" Tosh wl46 lcd last Aug. Paid £1,275, (rrp £2,000). Just 4 months later there was an update, (WL48), that added HDMI and now the 32" model could be bought for roughly the same price. In the space of just 4 months I could have gotten a screen 6" biggger, plus 100% protection from future hi-def broadcasts/discs. There is a 27" tosh (27wl46B) which seems more or less identical to mine, (1280 by 720p, rather than my 1366 by 768), that can be had for £700. In the space of 10 months the price of a set equivelent to mine has fallen almost £600! Have a look here for tvs:

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/mainscreen.asp

Bought my lcd from RGB, plus 2 dvd recorders. A 23" Tosh is around £550, but I'm not sure what the connections are. I wouldn't buy a hi-def screen without hdmi these days. If I were you I'd wait til you actually have a need for a HDTV.

4. bigriggers

bigriggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I agree with the above. I'm absolutely itching to buy the 32" Samsung everybody is talking about, but as my main use will be Xbox 360 I'll wait a few months until it's released, and see what screens are about at the time. No doubt I'll be getting more bang for my buck due to the big drops in price associated with this area of technology.

When the time comes however, just make sure it has at least component input, and preferably HDMI. The 360 will ship with a component lead, but somebody will get round to making an HDMI not long afterwards I guess.

HTH,
    Matt

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    An obvious candidate would be the Dell 2405FPW monitor - 24", widescreen (more or less) with a native resolution of 1920x1200. You can probably pick one up for £700 or less on Ebay.

6. mortii

mortii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point, i will definately wait. Is anyone else in the same kind of position - im interested in what everyone elses plans are for catering for this HD gaming era. By the way if anyone stumbles accross a decent 23" HD screen please let me know. I like the looks of the samsung one at the moment.

Are they good for use with computers as well - i have an apple laptop and can connect it to monitors - will the quality tend to be the same or worse? It would be handy to have a larger screen for that. If they are i would probably look to be using it for both computer and 360 use.

7. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same boat to mate.
    But this is what I am doing. Im getting a 32" Panny CRT now and by the time the xbox 360 comes out I should have £1000 for something a bit thinner lol.

8. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm just waiting for the 32" LG Super-Slim HDTV CRT (15.5" depth) to be released in the US so I can see comments of it at the avsforum :D

A little later its going to be released in the UK.

The Samsung SlimFit HDTV CRT has been getting bad comments due to poor geometry and PQ.

Hopefully the LG won't have these flaws although a friend of mine in Korea already has the set (its been out there for 3 months) and he said there is a 2nd revision of it and that the 2nd revision has geometry problems fixed and is slighty deeper than the 1st revision.

I don't really want a Plasma or LCD as I just don't like the look of them. A friend of mine has a 42" Panasonic Viera PDP and another has a 26" Sharp Aquos.

CRT forever! :thumbsup: