1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need racking for 800 dvds including boxsets!

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Gorshin, May 28, 2004.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I've got a gargantuan dvd collection of around 800 discs! The problem now is storing them all. Ideally I'd like shelves with doors on to keep out dust etc. But I've not seen any cabinets/cupboards that are of sufficiently narrow depth (around 18-20 cms). I don't really want exposed shelves as this looks untidy.

Any recommendations?

P.s. anyone who replies gets a free cdwow link. Will take £1.50 off all dvds and £1 off cds. :clap:

2. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had the opportunity to see many different items of furniture both with and without doors but I have to say I don't think I have ever seen a shelving unit with doors that is as narrow as you have specced.

I have had a few successes "modding" furniture from Ikea and the like and I'm just wondering if this may be an alternative.

If you are worried about ending up with some sort of Heath Robinson affair, with a bit of care and attention you can end up with a very respectable unit.

regards

Parmenion

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I agree with Parmenion, if you can't find exactly what you want you'll be better off doing it yourself.

Although I've not tried it, the idea behind this CD rack looks remarkably easy to adapt and adding 2 hinges and a door shouldn't be too hard. http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/babelle_e.html

4. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The Ikea Billy storage range includes a CD/DVD rack 20 cm wide and 17 cm deep by about 200cm high. If you put two of these together you can then fit the doors which are made for the billy range - either solid or glass fronted. I have four of them with 2 glass fronted doors fitted. Not sure how many you would need for 800 DVds.

Check out the Ikea website. If you're interested I could try to post a pic of mine.

6. UZUBAIRU

UZUBAIRU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Gorshin,

Like Clint says, check out the Bertby wall cabinet at Ikea.
    My hubby had the same concerns as you, and we found them perfect for our needs. We have 1 in the living room and 1 in a spare room.

Umu

7. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nowhere near big enough!!!!!!!

I need a rack that is about eight foot by six foot tall!!!!

help!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If your needs are that specific i would contact a local cabinetb maker who can do you built in cabinets, floor to ceiling and all ready fitted with custom sized doors.
    Or try a local chipy.

9. evilash

evilash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    good luck in your search. i have as yet come to the conclusion there is nothing suitable for the kinda numbers both you and i have got. i have ended up using cd folders from maplins to store most of my films i dont watch as much and store about 300 most watched on slim dvd/cd tower units from ikea...

p.s. good to see someone as mad as myself at buying dvds. i am up to about a thousand so far. i have tried to give up/ slow down but cdwow keep roping me back...

10. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What's the problem... you only need to buy 5 of them and you're sorted :D . IIRC each one holds about 160 DVDs.

Clint
    :smoke:

11. Muzic man

Muzic man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I cant believe anyone in their right mind would spend £55 on a Dvd cuboard !! :rolleyes:
    I went to the local Homebase, bought a pine shelving unit for £16 (6 shelves)added some 33mm X 33mm batten to the back of each shelf and scewed it to the wall. It holds 39 Dvds per shelf (43 carboard covers). The Dvds sit perfectly ,half inch in with about half inch above. You can also buy a 4 shelf for £10. : :smashin: :

12. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  13. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Only if they wanted it to look half decent... anyway, who says we're in our right minds :eek: .

Gorshin's spec was "Ideally I'd like shelves with doors on to keep out dust etc.". Also "I don't really want exposed shelves as this looks untidy". Just trying to help Gorshin out...

14. lfletcher

lfletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Gorshin,
    You could try the VÄTTERN range from Ikea,

http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...&parentCats=10101*10123*10136&chapterId=10138

Although they are bathroom cabinets they work perfectly for DVD's as they are only 19cm deep and are available in 40cm or 30cm wide cabinets. You can also get doors for them. With 7 glass shelves in them I fitted about 650 in 2 x40cm and 2 x 30cm cabinets.

If you search the forum you should find a thread with pictures of them setup (I borrowed the idea off the poster :thumbsup: )

15. lazarus

lazarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    this is what i went for - i have 800 or so dvds and i bought 9 of these bookcases and have arranged them in a 3 by 3 setup. the beech effect is actually quite smart

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=1751&productId=93496&Trail=C$cip=12217>C$cip=12218>C$cip=12226&categoryId=12226

heres a thread of mine from a while back about dvd storage

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122415&highlight=DVD+Storage