1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need of some convincing

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Rockin_Amigo14, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Rockin_Amigo14

Rockin_Amigo14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, well, I recently sold my Zen Sleek cause the battery sucked.

Now, I've done so much homework on mp3 players, i'm stuck on what to choose.

Between the:

Sony NW-HD5
    Cowon iAudio X5L

I'm based in the U.S. and can get them both for the same price. Keep in mind we won't be seeing that new Sony for a while.

Any support?

Also, can anyone tell how well this software works over SonicStage?
    http://www.syndetics.net/sony-hacks/sonicstage.html

thanks

2. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    imo Sony do have nice 'looking' players but are hardly worth the money for example whats better a 1GB sony NW-E407 or the 2GB iPOD Nano? price wise in the UK its around £120 for the Sony and £140 for the Nano!

3. junglebass

junglebass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iv looked at ALOT of mp3 players b4 getting my HD5
    i got it because of:
    size
    battery life
    sound quality

i just want it to play music nicely and dont need any extra features that im not gona use, and im happy the way it plays music.
    altho it has a few problems, but then again i think all players got problems and im happy with my HD5 and can fully recommend it
    oh and that software u mention above works well and easy.... just drag the folders from explorer onto that SW and it transfers music, very easy
    oh and SS is also easy to rip CDs into atrac and trasfer to the player

4. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sony, because iPoo's are just... well, poo.

5. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Please don't be so juvenile :rolleyes: :suicide:

6. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I also used to hate iPODS I think because everyone has one lol but got me a Nano and well I dont see anyone else with one :p

7. - Eric -

- Eric -

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got exactly the same problem. Those iAudio devices look awesome and they are equiped with much more features: flac playback, fm radio, voice recorder, color screen, 35-hour battery life (!) Oh, and very important: they include a remote with big lcd! (an option at sony)

http://eng.iaudio.com/product/product_X5_feature.php

Looks like an interesting device imo

8. BLASTOCYST

BLASTOCYST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any idea when the new Walkman will debut in the States?

9. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I got a HD5 because it does exactly what it says on the tin. It plays MP3's and does it very very well.

10. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    the x5 doesnt include a remote, its just an optional extra, (that sneaks into all the marketing photos :nono: )

still i just ordered myself a 30gb x5l, tho the idiots at parceline managed to foul up the deliver this morning. fingers crossed for tommorow :thumbsup:

the battery life was the killer aspect for me

flac playback is quite funky too, as all my music is in flac, but its slightly annoying as i could only fit about a fith of my collection on the machine, which rather defeats the point...

the other thing which im quite interested in is the USB OTG function, looks like it might be damn useful on holiday

11. Rockin_Amigo14

Rockin_Amigo14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

i'll be looking forward to your opinion

12. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    got my x5l 30gb yesterday, and so far im really chuffed with it.

it sounds the best of all the mp3 players ive had so far (and ive had quite a few...)
    plays flac, ogg and all the normal codecs. It also seems to be a lot louder than previous players ive owned and may even do a fair effort at powering some proper cans tho ive not tried that yet.

The gui is good too, tho initially slightly annoying, ive adjusted to it already.

the video is actually surprisingly watchable even tho the screen is tiny, i went up to birmingham on the train today and was happily listening to lots of music, the radio and watching an episode or two of monkey dust on it.

the build quality is also great, it just feels well contructed due to its metal casing and oozes class. It is a bit heavier than i expected, been a while since i held an ipod but im pretty sure its a fair bit heavier.

so far the only gripes i have are with the silly way theyve organised the usb and power connections.[​IMG] with a small addon minidock type thing.... so im probably going to buy myself a proper dock which is around £20

and the fact that it can't at present browse via id3 tags. you basically browse the file structure to select music which is fine as long as your file structure is good. aka artist/album/disc/track etc.

i believe there is a planned firmware update to make you able to browse by id3 tag however.

couple of other things that could be improved would be to be able to play music and use the text viewer or photo viewer at the same time...and the fact that album covers arent displayed. The lack of these two things **** me off as they are no-brainers and wouldnt be that difficult to implement. (getting the cd covers to display is probably like 4 lines of code ***!!! given that it has a photo viewer built in...)

i cant comment on the software as the cd that came in my box was snapped iin two :mad: but it doesnt matter that much as its driverless anyhow.

all in all im very happy with it and was worth the £230 i paid for it, if only for its uber special battery life (which i wrote nothing about because i havent managed to run out of power yet :D :thumbsup: )

one other nifty feature is USB OTG where the x5 acts as a usb host for cameras/portable hdds/ pdas / card readers. tho compatibility is a bit hit or miss, it would be quite useful on holiday or something when you fill up your cameras memory card

be happy to answer any questions you have :rolleyes:

13. Rockin_Amigo14

Rockin_Amigo14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds great!! i ordered mine a few hours ago. not the extended version. i dont have any instances where i travel long distances, so i might save a bit of money by buying the normal version.

i will probably look into buying a conventional dock as well.

questions:

how did you get your songs on the player? can you use windows explorer?

are you saying that if your tracks are already labeled correctly, how are you able to browse?

thanks much :thumbsup:

14. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    it just shows up as a portable hard drive when you plug it in the first time, so you just "drag and drop" the files from your computer into it...

browsing from the player itself is simply a matter of browsing your file system on the machine so it depends how you have it organised as to how easy it is.

15. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    As a player the X5 is generally superior to the HD5 in almost every way except battery life (About two-thirds that of the HD5 in real life) and size. It also does more. If size and battery life are the most important things, then the HD5 is your best choice. If your emphasis is on anything else, the iPod or the X5 are your best bets.

Sizewise, the dimensions listed on the website of the X5 is a big fat lie. The X5L is very thick, but the X5 is not bad... the same thickness as the old 4G 60Gb iPod. So if you don't travel long distances often, the standard X5 is much better.

16. Claret

Claret
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any one use the line-in recording feature on the X5? Looking at transferring a load of vinyl but as I only have a laptop without line-in I can't do it that way. :lease:

17. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    line-in recorder seems to work fine tho ive not used it that much, although im pretty sure youd need a phono stage between the x5 and the record deck to amplify it to the required signal

18. Claret

Claret
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :hiya: Thanks. Was planning on doing it through an amp. Is the recording quality reasonable on the X5?

19. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    quality is obviously highly subjective safe to say it sounds pretty good to me, but what is one mans great is another mans crap...

obviously it highly depends on the source quality too...

you can set it from 64kbps up to 320kbps.

btw, if the lack of line in on your laptop is a problem you can get a usb sound card for about 30 quid. (tho i dont know if thats any good either). creative among others make them.

20. Claret

Claret
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again. Ordered an ADS sound card from Amazon - £30. See if that solves the problem. X5 might have to wait until the credit card recovers after Xmas.