I need new rear speakers

alcarmichael

I have just fried one of my rear speakers so looking for a recommendation from you lovely people on what to replace them with. I have large mains, one (soon to be two) BK Double Gem’s, running off an Anthem MRX310 with the main speakers using a separate power amp. The rears will be about 10’ either side of the seating position.
Looking to buy used to keep the budget down.
They’ll be replacing B&W DM600 s3’s.

password1

Distinguished Member
What are your front speakers? Do you want them to match the front speakers aesthetically?
Any budget or aesthetic or size constraints?

alcarmichael

I didn’t state my front speakers as very few will be aware of them:
Reiver Acoustic, Edingdale GT.

Budget would be sub £400.
Size not too much larger than the DM600’s if I can get away with it.
Aesthetically they just need to be acceptable to the missus.

Mr Wolf

If you liked the DM600 S3, the successor B&W models were 686, 686 S2 and 607. All have 5.25” drivers so similar size to the 600 S3. Always plenty of 686 models available on eBay for under £200.

alcarmichael

The DM600’s came about because my fronts also used to be B&W speakers. Nothing wrong with them but now I am more open to any brands I thought I may be able to do better. I would like the rears to provide more sound coverage if that makes sense? Less localised.

password1

Distinguished Member
How about some Dipole or bipole that have 2 tweeters spreading out the sound rather than bookshelves?

I doubt replacing pair of B&W bookshelves with another pair will give you wider dispersion.

alcarmichael

I had considered this option already but have never heard any… I’ve read that they can be quite marmite.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
If you can mount them little bit out from corners (1-2feet) then example MA Silver FX normally 499£, now 299£ ex-display model. 147mm depth, flush against wall with two keyholes at back for screw mounting.

img_2646-jpg.852552

alcarmichael

The FX look like a good option but it’s made me realise I wasn’t specific enough in my initial post - The room is recently decorated, current speakers are on stands. I won’t be chasing wires into walls so I don’t think wall mounted speakers can be an option….

alcarmichael

Yeh, but that's great if you love Marmite - I do! (Marmite not diploles).
There’s something wrong with your tastebuds!

password1

Distinguished Member
The FX look like a good option but it’s made me realise I wasn’t specific enough in my initial post - The room is recently decorated, current speakers are on stands. I won’t be chasing wires into walls so I don’t think wall mounted speakers can be an option….
No need to chase cables or drill holes on walls.

Just make a tall wall leaning stand.

I have a 9.1 system in my lounge (including 2 front height speakers) with a heavy 2.4m motorised screen and projector mounted a foot away from the ceiling.. all mounted on wall leaning stands with no chasing or a single hole drilled on any wall.

alcarmichael

Do you have any pictures of these stands please?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom