1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need new headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by goldy, May 12, 2005.

1. goldy

goldy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right now I am using the apple ipod headphones. Although I dont mind the quality of the headphones, I find that the set that the ipod came with fall out of my ears a lot and arent all that comfortable. I am looking for a pair of headphones which are affordable, sound good, and are comfortable. I would prefer some that are separate from each other and attach to your ears by themselves (wrap around your ears or go in). I am looking to spend no more than $40 dollars preferably. I would greatly appreciate your input and it would help me a lot.
    Thank you all very much.

2. Stewtheking

Stewtheking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shure e2c.
    ebay.
    job done.
    kerching!
    Stew

3. max_keller

max_keller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..around $40.. the ex81 are the best earphones i've ever had... for those who own a pair of E71's, this indeed is a must have, an upgrade..!! Comfortable too.. although took me awhile to get used to it but a small problem. Order the ex81 from igearbox! Placed order on Thursday, arrived on Tuesday as promised.

4. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - i agree totally - just made the same transition after owning 2 pairs of ex-71's and i have to say the ex-81's are superb because they fit perfectly and stay there.

I would even suggest they sound better, but it may just be the more accurate and consistant fit that does that.

£34 in the uk

5. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've just been looking at the Ex81's in my local Sony centre - the rep there couldn't assure me that the improvement in sound over my 71's would be enough to warrant spending the same money (they cost the same) on them. I decided it may be better to wait for something more... expensive. Can anybody with 81's say that the sound quality is noticeably different, better to the 71's or is it just due to the different fit (never had a problem with the fit of my 71's)?

6. sound_05

sound_05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone tried the Sennheiser IE4's? They are about £40 and sound amazing. They are ear canal headphones and are designed for professional useage. Try them if your looking for a great laternative.

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The EX81 are exactly the same earphones as the EX71, but with a different and looser fit which tones down some of the bass... but it's nevertheless the same muddy one-note bass that the EX71 is saddled with. The lessened feeling of bass also affects perception of other frequencies.

I got the EX81 and straight away I could hear it was the same driver, which was later confirmed. It's really interesting to see the reports on the net claiming the EX81 as much better than the EX71 like the posts above... shows you that many people really can't tell a difference in sound quality and are quite easily fooled (e.g. iPod v HD5 comparison). I don't know if that's good or bad. Probably bad.

I figure if it's crappy bass anyway, you might as well have a lot of it... the EX71 delivers that for sure :D I like to keep it around like an audio equivalent of a Whopper... crap, but tastes good in extreme moderation :rotfl:

I second the E2c if the EX71 doesn't seem like your bag. It's kind of a low-profile sound since it's not overblown in any particular area, but in terms of sound quality it's certainly quite a lot more competent than the EX's.

8. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks dodgy, you've convinced me not to waste 30 quid on essentially another pair of the same headphones. I'll wait until I can afford something better and inevitably more expensive. Cheers.

9. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having now lived with a pair of EX-81s for several weeks, i think i now know where the difference lies.

As has been stated before, the EX-70 / 71's were tricky beasts - some thought them heavanly, some thought them awfull and it always seemed to me (having owned 2 pairs of 71's over a period of 18 months) that they are extremely sensetive to how deep into the ear canal they are pushed.

too far in - thumping bass which muffles the mid and treble

too far out - thinner bass, but screechy trebles

and of course, they have to be properley wedged in or the left ear-piece falls out every 3rd step you take......

Where the 81's really shine is the ear hook - all the weight is taken off the buds themselves, so you can position them lightly in place for best results.

I push my 81's in till they JUST grip the ear and the earhooks them hold them steady - the sound is fabulous, solid bass and beutifully clear mid and treble.

Honestly - they are MASSIVELY better than the 71's sound wise for this reason, even tho they do indeed use the same driver.

I can really reccomend them - no other earphone in that price range comes anywhere near the clarity of the 81's. PLUS, PLUS, PLUS the 81's are massively comfortable, because of the earhook - it really is a very clever design.

10. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You could just back off the bass with EQ. The drivers mean that there really is no difference in sound quality so no point in an 'upgrade' unless you're having fit issues with the EX71.

The EX81 are also very fit dependent as the ear hooks don't really adjust. If the size fits, great. If not, then they're a bigger pain than the 71.

Also, in headphone terms the sound of the 71/81 is pretty (yellow water)-poor for the money. Since the EX81's by dint of their looser fit offer less isolation than the 71, you might as well plump for the Sennheiser PX200 (which offers comparable isolation... i.e. a bit less than the EX71).

11. ChunkyMunkyLuva

ChunkyMunkyLuva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey, im looking for some headphones and am really interested in the 71's.. but now i hear that i might aswell get the 81's. i would use them regularlyish mainly travelling.. which ones would you recommend?