Question I need lots of help please, moving from Sky to recordable free tv

Tara100

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have read quite a few threads, and being a technophobe, I'm more confused than ever, so apologies for asking what may seem the obvious :-(

I had the basic Sky TV package on a Sky+hd box, but have cancelled the subscription, leaving me with the free to view Sky channels.

The channel choices are quite limited, and as I can't pause, rewind, record etc, I think I should go for one of the other free to view options, such as Freeview. I'll need to buy a recorder, and the Freeview box won't I? I'm confused already!
To confuse matters further, I watch all TV upstairs using a magic eye. Will it be possible to do the same how I've described, as this is crucial for me.

Thanks in advance for help offered.

Are you aware that you can pay Sky £10 per month for the recording facility.
You'll only get the free to view channels but at least you'll have the dual tuner recording facility.
Alternatively you could buy a Freesat box that offers the same dual recording facility as a Sky HD box and uses the existing Sky dish so no installation required. Simply unplug the 2 coax cables from the Sky box and plug them into the Freesat box, turn the box on and it will tune itself in. You'll get virtually the same free to view channels but there's no £10 a month charge.
It's my PVR of choice and I purchased my Humax HDR 1000s direct from Humax directly for approx £130. So you make you money back after a year.
Edit: Humax do offer a dual tuner Freeview HDR box as well, but you will of course need to have an aerial installed if you haven't already.
In terms of watching Freesat in a 2nd room, check the following Watching Freesat In A Second Room

Last edited:
The £10 Sky+ is only available to subsscribers cancelling down - once your 31 day cancellation notice has expired it is not available.

First you need to check that you can receive Freeview from a transmitter with the full channrl list and not one of the Freeview Lite relay transmitters which only transmit a very reduced channel list. For viewing the most subscription free channels a combination of Freeview and FreesatFromSky (your Sky box with expired viewing card. Freeview has a few channels that are subscription only on satellite (Dave, Yesterday, Quest and Drama also in certain areas Motors TV and others via a web connection).

Freeview+ (or Youview) will allow recording of all channels on its EPG - channel list here - Freeview Channels List

Freesat+ (or Freetime) will allow recording of all channels on its EPG and viewing only of all other FTA (Free to air) channels who do not pay to be on its EPG - channel list here - Freesat Channel Lineup

Freesat From Sky (FSFS) will allow viewing of all FTA and FTV (Free to view - requiring either a FSFS card or expired/cancelled subscription card) on the Sky EPG but not recording withouth the Sky+ sub. - channel list here - Freesky Channel List . Note also that all channels free and subscription will appear on the EPG (not editable) but you can set up a favourite list of up to 50 channrld with its own EPG section.

You need to look through those lists and decide whether you want to record from Freeview or freesat.

Last edited:
Freeview has a few channels that are subscription only (Dave, Yesterday, Quest and Drama also in certain areas Motors TV and others via a web connection).
Not true. The progs that you mention are all available FTA on freeview (assuming you have the 'normal' 6+ MPXs), but might not be on freesat (my freesat box is mothballed and my freesat TV is not connected to my dish at the mo so I can't check)

Not true. The progs that you mention are all available FTA on freeview (assuming you have the 'normal' 6+ MPXs), but might not be on freesat (my freesat box is mothballed and my freesat TV is not connected to my dish at the mo so I can't check)
Sorry omitted the words "on satellite" - now edited and added

The £10 Sky+ is only available to subsscribers cancelling down - once your 31 day cancellation notice has expired it is not available.
That didn't used to be the case, so Sky must have changed their policy. It's been quite a while since I resigned my Sky HD+ box to the loft.

Freesat+ (or Freetime) will allow recording of all channels on its EPG and viewing only of all other FTA (Free to air) channels who do not pay to be on its EPG - channel list here - Freesat Channel Lineup

While it's correct that you can't record non freesat channels on a 2nd generation freesat (freetime) box, it's not correct for Freesat+ boxes. The Foxsat-hdr will also record HD channels in non freesat mode without the encryption imposed by the Freesat epg licence. I understand that some Freesat+ boxes list non freesat channels in the Freesat epg (The Foxsat-hdr can do this but requires the Custom Firmware channel editor. This also allows the recording of non-freesat using manual timers without having to switch to non-freesat mode).

While it's correct that you can't record non freesat channels on a 2nd generation freesat (freetime) box, it's not correct for Freesat+ boxes. The Foxsat-hdr will also record HD channels in non freesat mode without the encryption imposed by the Freesat epg licence. I understand that some Freesat+ boxes list non freesat channels in the Freesat epg (The Foxsat-hdr can do this but requires the Custom Firmware channel editor. This also allows the recording of non-freesat using manual timers without having to switch to non-freesat mode).
True but the Foxsat HDR was discontinued over 3 years ago and most people do not want to buy second hand boxes that are over 3 years okd.

True but the Foxsat HDR was discontinued over 3 years ago and most people do not want to buy second hand boxes that are over 3 years okd.

There are plenty of other Freesat+ boxes around. Afaik they can also record non freesat channels.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom