• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I need help with external connectors on my sound card (Does it have digital audio?)

Travar

Standard Member
Does my sound card has digital audio coaxial output?

I recenly bought a prebuilt desktop computer Medion MD 8824.
It features an integrated sound card on the MSI mother board ms-7255 (P4M890M-L/IL). It says it is a 7.1 channel sound card and it has 6 external connectors.
The manual of computer describes them as:
1x analog line level output for stereo signal -front speakers or headphones (colored green on connector)
1x side speakers out (colored silver on connector)
1x center speaker and subwoofer out (colored orange on connector)
1x rear speakers out (colored black on connector)
1x line in (colored blue on connector)
1x microphone (colored pink on connector)

md8820_back_01.jpg

What I would like is to connect audio from sound card to a Sony STR DG 510 av reciever via digital coaxial audio cable.

So my question is: Is the orange ouput on sound card a digital coaxial audio out?

Because I was told that the center speaker and subwoofer channnel also serves as digital audio out.

ralphmalph

Established Member
From your description from the manual you do not have any digital output on the motherboard. Your options are buy a cheap sound card with optical out or use analogue connections to you amp if it has a 5.1 input sometimes called multi channel input or pre inputs.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom