i need help with capturing ps3 gameplay

Reaction score
hey guys!
ok so i want to start capturing ps3 gameplay, but the only problem is i se a pc monitor. Its a high quality 23" phillips monitor with DVI VGA and HDMI inputs. i dont want to spend £200 on a HD PVR so is there any other way that i can record my ps3 gameplay. I had a look at my computer graphics card (GEFORCE 8800 GT) and it has no HDMI input.

so could i get some help please?

thanks alot

To capture ps3 gameplay you either need a HD capture card or device or you can record SD gameplay with a dvd recorder using a scart RGB cable or s-video cable.

Input lag is an important issue too as a hd capture card will have input lag.

The best cheap option is a basic s-video/composite cable. Feed the composite cable into a basic 50hz CRT set and s-video into a dvd recorder with the audio. That way you'll have silky smooth response times on the CRT to get high scores and your gameplay will be recorded via s-video.

im sorry but what is crt and s-video? i dont have these inputs on my monitor but i think i have s-video on my graphics cards.

S-video on your graphics card is probably output only.

You need someway of video capturing the ps3 video. This can either be a standalone dvd recorder or a device on your pc.

Often video capturing creates awful lag making it harder to play because games play with a slow response to your input because you are seeing the game visuals slightly delayed.

You could get a basic usb video capture device for your pc? they are very cheap.

What television are you using with your ps3 and how is it connected?

i have an easycap dc60+ and on the xbox it doesnt work with MW2 as i cant run 60Hz i think it is.
if i had a TV i wouldnt have a problem, its the fact that im using a PC MONITOR. which is VGA DVI and HDMI of which i am using the HDMI input for my PS3

I assume you can use your video capture device with a ps3 s-video or composite cable and watch the ps3 graphics on your pc monitor that way but you'll have lag. If the supplied software isn't compatible with a 60hz signal you could try different software. A uk ps3 gives out a 50hz signal at 576i normally. However I think games can override that to give you a 60hz option but generally your videocap device should be fine for ps3. Its just the horrible lag that will make games unplayable.

Another option is a dvd recorder with upscaling, i.e. hdmi output. Connect the ps3 to that via scart RGB and connect the dvd recorder to your monitor via hdmi.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom