I need HELP to choose! Please!

grek929

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I'm sure this is an age old question but I'm in a crunch for choosing between two models a crazy discounts but I have to choose quickly:

1. YAMAHA RX-A1080 at $688 refurbished $1200 new. Better DAC and 110w 0.06 THD

2. MARANTZ SR5014 brand new $650. $999 originally. 100w 0.08 THD. DAC not sure of.

I really need something to sound great for music. Seems like all I tested so far do I find job in my 7.2 set up for movies but music just suffers. And those were lower end yamaha , Denon, Sony, and Onkyo.

These are deals from accessories4less so buying and returning wont be an easy option. I never heard a Marantz on my system either and I know this is an entry level model. Is it worth it or should i go for the adventage yamaha refurb?

Thanks in advance. Look forward to replies.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
If you want something really good for music, buy a stereo integrated amplifier. Do you already have an AVR that sounds rubbish for music? If so, keep that for films and add a stereo integrated amplifier for music.

grek929

Novice Member
If you want something really good for music, buy a stereo integrated amplifier. Do you already have an AVR that sounds rubbish for music? If so, keep that for films and add a stereo integrated amplifier for music.
I need to upgrade my current AVR to passthrough 4k HDR content. I was thinking a seperate power amp to use for the music utilizing the preouts.

It was reasonable for music but the new AVRs I have tried just lacked for quality music to me. I rather not get a seperate stereo amp for space and convenience plus I sometimes enjoy music with multi speakers filling the room.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
The Marantz would be better for music than the Yamaha, better still is an Arcam, the outgoing FMJ models are heavily discounted at the moment, if you can find any of those?

grek929

Novice Member
The Marantz would be better for music than the Yamaha, better still is an Arcam, the outgoing FMJ models are heavily discounted at the moment, if you can find any of those?
I'll check them out. Thanks for the input. My only concern with the marantz was that it was their entry level model and was had less specs than the Yamaha wich I read some very favorable reviews.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I'll check them out. Thanks for the input. My only concern with the marantz was that it was their entry level model and was had less specs than the Yamaha wich I read some very favorable reviews.
Yes, agreed. A higher spec Marantz would be better, but the entry level would not be awful.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Not really the entry level for Marantz which is the 1xxx range. e.g NR1509.
Previously Marantz had 501x, 601x, and 701x models in their range.
This year the highest numbered model is the SR6014 (no SR7014), that means the 5014 has moved up to the position (2nd from the top) the 601x models previously had.

The main drawback of the SR5014 compared to the SR6014 is that it only has 7 channels of processing and amplification compared to 11 channels of processing and 9 channels of amplification in the 6014. AFAIK this also holds true for the RX-A1080.

Unless you will never ever have a need for more channels, if you can, I'd try and stretch the budget to get 11 channel processing in the likes of a SR6013 or SR6014..

grek929

Novice Member
Not really the entry level for Marantz which is the 1xxx range. e.g NR1509.
Previously Marantz had 501x, 601x, and 701x models in their range.
This year the highest numbered model is the SR6014 (no SR7014), that means the 5014 has moved up to the position (2nd from the top) the 601x models previously had.

The main drawback of the SR5014 compared to the SR6014 is that it only has 7 channels of processing and amplification compared to 11 channels of processing and 9 channels of amplification in the 6014. AFAIK this also holds true for the RX-A1080.

Unless you will never ever have a need for more channels, if you can, I'd try and stretch the budget to get 11 channel processing in the likes of a SR6013 or SR6014..
Hmmm....I probably wouldn't need 9-11 channels as the room won't allow for proper extra side placement nor will I be able to put height speakers in the ceiling...its a fairly small to medium room with windows on two walls, about 12 feet from seating against the back wall to the TV by 16 feet or so wide but the option being there is nice to have. 6013 is not a bad price at all as I see. My best thoughts for elevation speakers would be wall mounted down angled speakers but would only need 2.

I guess no love for Yamaha Aventage? I guess my main concern about the marantz was, is it really all that at the price point or just a Denon in a marantz shell and I'm just paying for the name and bragging rights lol.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Hmmm....I probably wouldn't need 9-11 channels as the room won't allow for proper extra side placement nor will I be able to put height speakers in the ceiling...its a fairly small to medium room with windows on two walls, about 12 feet from seating against the back wall to the TV by 16 feet or so wide but the option being there is nice to have. 6013 is not a bad price at all as I see. My best thoughts for elevation speakers would be wall mounted down angled speakers but would only need 2.

I guess no love for Yamaha Aventage? I guess my main concern about the marantz was, is it really all that at the price point or just a Denon in a marantz shell and I'm just paying for the name and bragging rights lol.

Can't comment on the Yamaha as I never had one having always had Denon and, more recently, Marantz. While the SR6013 shares a lot of internals with the Denon equivalent (X3600) it has the proprietary Marantz HDAM modules which may be what makes it more recommended for music use than Denon and also differs from Denon AVRs in having 7.1ch inputs. (not on the SR5014 though)

The latter means the Marantz can be recycled for power amp duties, I've a SR7012 in a 7.2.4 configuration with a SR7010 providing the amplification for six of those channels (rears and 4 atmos). Probably not as good as a dedicated power amp but a lot cheaper as I already owned it. The alternative for me would have been to buy a 2 channel power amp or get a higher priced 11 channel amplification AVR (SR8012 which would have been £1,400 more, a lot of money just for 2 channels).

SR6013 Marantz-SR6013-inside.jpg Denon x3600 x3600.jpg SR5014 SR5014_7-Channel.jpg

Another thing to look at is the room equalisation available. The 601x models have Audyssey XT32, the 5014 has the lower spec XT, and the Yamaha from the review has YPAO-R.S.C. which is better than the XT in the 5014.

But if you will never use the extra processing and channels of a 6013/6014 it may be pointless buying one in preference to a 5013 or A1080. But if you may make use of them in the future, better to pay a bit more now than have to get another AVR down the line. Adding additional processing channels is not something that can be done later.