1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help to choose a CD player.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by isko, Sep 16, 2004.

1. isko

isko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need a CD player and I have two option here in Istanbul. One is Cambridge Azur 540C CD player (225 UK pound) and other one is Sony SCD-XB770 SACD/CD player (135 UK pound). Which to choose both from technical point of view and pricewise? Thanks

2. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want hi-res sound, the Sony is the way to go. For straight CD playback, I'd wager on the Cambridge. I almost bought the 540C but (upon a lengthy head to head comparison, you can search for it in this forum) I chose the 540D for CD playback (same exact price here in Canada). To my ears, the sound was more detailed and clear. Both were very good, I just preferred the 540D's sound.

3. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry to butt in! :)

I'm also looking to replace my very old Technics SL-p320 CD machine (25+ y.o) with some thing a little bit more up to date :D .

I have just bought a new AV amp which I hope is good enough in stereo mode (sound good to me) to warrant this, it's a Yamaha v2400?

But don't know where to start. Don't want to spend over £200 but am not sure at the low budget I will notice the difference between my old vintage Technics CD or using the new DVD player Pioneer 575a with phonos, it sounds pants for CD at the moment through the digital connection tinny and gutless?

:lease:

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    My suggestion would be to beg, borrow or steal the money required to get the 640C as it is a good deal better than the 540C and sounds great. There is of course the 2nd hand market- I saw a 6000KI go for £220 on ebay the other day and that is silly value.

5. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Is this a Richer Sounds only job?

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    In the UK yes, although again there was a silver one on ebay the other day.

7. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My main worry is that I hate CD's sound which is too bright, it makes my teeth grate and reminds me of an old Danset we used have in our sixth form common room many many years back. I guess I miss vynil :(

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Then get a record deck like I did:smashin: Also worth looking out for is the Nad 541i or 542 second hand as they are superb CDP. Sometimes I wish I hadnt sold mine as there are certain cd's with multimedia on it the Limit has problems with and wont play :( Im looking to go the Arcam Alpha 5 way and then get it 'Avondaled'
    Another cheaper CDP to look out for is the Marantz cd5400OSE. I spoke to Tons of Fun about it and he was very positive about it and recons its worth the money. I know he works for MS but I have found he can be quite independant in his advice at times ;)

9. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,954
    So what sort of sound has the Azur 640C got ? Will it sound better than my Pioneer 565 DVD player does - I find this sounds too harsh and gutless for me.
    What I'm really after is something that will sound warm and smooth when played through my Denon 3805 amp.

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    John- the 640C should see off a 565, as its designer says "it does bass properly." At the end of the day, as its an RS product you can take it back if it doesn't do it for you.

11. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    For £200, I'd also give the NAD C521BEE an audition - the baby brother of the 542. It should offer the warm sound you're after. I bought one after comparing it against a Marantz CD5400 and although the Marantz was excellent in terms of detail, it was too bright for my liking, so I went for the NAD.

12. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    The NAD C521bee is also available at Richer Sounds, was around £160 when I got mine there a few months ago.

You could try that first and then swap for a Cambridge 640c ( I liked the NAD so kept it).

Steve

13. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,954
    I'm just about to buy the 640C from Richer Sounds, it offers me a selection of interconnects also - any recommendations baring in mind I prefer a smooth warm sound ?
    The ones it offers me are:-
    Cambridge Audio Atlantic
    Cambridge Audio Pacific
    Ixos 1002 RCA-RCA
    Cambridge Audio Silver Spirit 40
    Or would you recommend another interconnect from elsewhere ?

14. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    The Silver Spirit is the one I've heard (and I own some) of that lot that's some good. It might also be worth trying the Mark Grant analogue version because his digital is pretty sound.