1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help setting up my xbox wireless - anyone know what they're doing?!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by tee, Aug 27, 2004.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I need help!

2. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wish i could help but only use wireless on a laptop not xbox and mine was plug and play :rolleyes: in my dreams :D
    but a few members do use wireless for xbox

3. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You have two options;

Get someone to buy an official XBOX wireless adapter from the USA. They work over here, all you need is a UK 6v AC power adapter, or a USA-UK electrical adapter (also available from the USA).

Your second option depends whether you already have wireless at home. If you already have a wireless router then you can either use my first option, or you can buy an additional router/switch and 'bridge' the connections, essentially connecting your XBOX to a second router/switch with the 'bridge' being wireless. I understand this can cause problems, especially if you use 128-bit WEP encryption with MAC filtering and hiding your SSID. If you do not currently have wireless at home then you need to think about it a bit more, i.e. what else do you want from wireless and what standard to you need b/g etc?

Go get the Microsoft XBOX wireless adapter. You could order it from amazon.com but I don't think they ship to the UK. A UK importer might get you one, but I hate those guys because they charge a fortune.

Please feel free to ask if anything here doesn't make sense.

4. meinbrain

meinbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right..all of the above didnt make sense!

i am also thinking of using a wireless connection.

i currently use 2 ethernet cards and use XP's internet sharing thingy. wot would i need. i currently dont use a router (with NTL and use their set top box). i THINK? i need i wireless router and then some other 'thing' right?

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    You do indeed need 2 things - a router and a bridge.

I use this router with my NTL cable modem. I would assume you can use this with a set-top box, but someone else may answer this (or phone NTL).

When you've got your home wireless network set up, you need a wireless bridge to attach to your Xbox.

This bridge will do you well with a Netgear router.

It is advisable to stick to the brand of your wireless router to minimise compatability problems. What brand you choose is completely up to you, but Linksys gets mentioned alot too. Hope this helps... :)

6. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This is a link the XBOX wireless adapter . Much simpler to configure than a bridge (and probably cheaper), but you need to get hold of one first.

Get some router advice from your provider (NTL etc) first. This adapter then just acts like a normal wireless node (device).

Don't forget security on your wireless LAN. You don't want people freeloading your lovely open wireless network bandwidth.

7. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I have a Netgear me102 wireless access point connected to my thomson speedtouch router upstairs.Downstairs I have a Netgear me101 wireless bridge connected to the box et voila!
    Connected it all up worked lovely:)
    Products:
    Me101:http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48375

wireless access point:http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Sho...le=Netgear ME102 11Mbps Wireless Access Point
    the above is discontinued but:http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Sho...ID=867&Title=Belkin 11B Wireless Access Point
    Should do the same.

I also have a spare me101 for sale if you are interested

Phil

8. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71