I need help in chosing speakers for the Denon 1906

paulm187

Novice Member
HI,

I'm planning on getting a Denon 1906 for my home cinema. I will be connecting my HTPC to it. I am looking for good 5.1 surround sound speakers. I will also like to have good stereo for music. How is the Denon 1906 when it comes to stereo?

Thanks for your help.

Badger0-0

Not as good as a plain stereo amp.
How fussy are you? is the question.
I could give you some cracking advice mate :smashin:
But do you have 20 grand spare??

Sorry.........., I'm not trying to be patronising, but it does help if you say how much your budget is ;)

paulm187

Novice Member
Badger0-0 said:
Not as good as a plain stereo amp.
How fussy are you? is the question.
I could give you some cracking advice mate :smashin:
But do you have 20 grand spare??

Sorry.........., I'm not trying to be patronising, but it does help if you say how much your budget is ;)
I'm looking at around £600ish for the whole setup and they should be available in black. I'm pretty much decided on the 1906 but what do you think of these two speakers.

Q Accoustic 1000
Kef KHT 2005.2

Creative-Audio are doing package deals for the above with the 1906. There is about £60 difference between Q Accoustic and the Kef.

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/hotsystemsAMP_DEN1906.htm

If I needed decent stereo would I be better off buying a seperate Stereo amp later? How would I connect them to my front speakers when they are already connected to the AV reciever?

Thanks for your help.

Badger0-0

The Kefs are highly rated, but I've never heard them.
I don't know anything about the Q acoustic, sorry.
Just had a look at your link.
Interesting, you will go bigger than titchy :smashin:

I'd move up a notch, personally, to bookshelves.
I keep pumping the SVS 5.1 setup, because I have it and it's excellent.
It runs out at more than £600, but can be had for a few quid more maybe :smashin:

That's that one out the way, come back if you're interested :smashin:

Otherwise, consider Mordaunt Short 9xx series with a 309 sub.
I used a pair of 902, a pair of 903 and a 905 centre, very nice too, for the money and the 309.
The rear 903's could be replaced with 902s, no problem.

Second hand, well now you're talking, the MS 904 and 906 floorstanders are very good and serious value for money.

Are we sucking diesel or am I on the wrong track???

barijohn

I'm with Badger on the Mordaunt Shorts. The sound from mine is great. I'm sure I could get better but good value for money.

Cheers.

paulm187

Novice Member
Badger0-0 said:
The Kefs are highly rated, but I've never heard them.
I don't know anything about the Q acoustic, sorry.
Just had a look at your link.
Interesting, you will go bigger than titchy :smashin:

I'd move up a notch, personally, to bookshelves.
I keep pumping the SVS 5.1 setup, because I have it and it's excellent.
It runs out at more than £600, but can be had for a few quid more maybe :smashin:

That's that one out the way, come back if you're interested :smashin:

Otherwise, consider Mordaunt Short 9xx series with a 309 sub.
I used a pair of 902, a pair of 903 and a 905 centre, very nice too, for the money and the 309.
The rear 903's could be replaced with 902s, no problem.

Second hand, well now you're talking, the MS 904 and 906 floorstanders are very good and serious value for money.

Are we sucking diesel or am I on the wrong track???
Thanks..I'm checking them out now. The MS sub is bit priceu :eek: I've got no room for floor standing speakers in my lounge. What setup have you got with the SVS (models etc)?

Badger0-0

paulm187 said:
Thanks..I'm checking them out now. The MS sub is bit priceu :eek: I've got no room for floor standing speakers in my lounge. What setup have you got with the SVS (models etc)?
I've got the SVS SBS 5.1 set-up, I'll post a link shortly.
My speakers cost £300, defo and the sub £400, I think :confused:
I can't remember to tell the truth :(

Brand new, yes, the good MS stuff may be out of your price range.

But second hand is no disgrace and there are bargains to be had :clap:

Most Hi-fi type stuff is very well looked after and is basically as new, except it's been run-in.
The results will be worth it, IMO.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
paulm187 said:
I'm planning on getting a Denon 1906 for my home cinema. I will be connecting my HTPC to it. I am looking for good 5.1 surround sound speakers. I will also like to have good stereo for music. How is the Denon 1906 when it comes to stereo?
The Denon AVR1906 is very very poor when it comes to stereo reproduction, it doesn't matter what speakers you stick on the end of it. If you have decided on that amp already then there is not much you can do about that.

For £600 I would probably consider the Kef KHT2005.2 which are around that price.

paulm187

Novice Member
Crustyloafer said:
The Denon AVR1906 is very very poor when it comes to stereo reproduction, it doesn't matter what speakers you stick on the end of it. If you have decided on that amp already then there is not much you can do about that.

For £600 I would probably consider the Kef KHT2005.2 which are around that price.
I havn't bought the Denon 1906 yet. What would you suggest is good for Stereo. Buy a seperate Stereo amp? If I do how do I go about hooking it up to the speakers? Would I need a seperate set of stereo speakers?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
A dedicated stereo amplifier would be one route to go down. It could be connected to the preamp ouptuts on the AV reciever to allow it to power the front speakers for movies and used just on its own for music playback. This solution offers you the best of both worlds. You will however also have to have front speakers that can be used as full range speakers for music as opposed to a satellite speaker that has to be used in conjunction with a subwoofer and have the bass filtered away from it by an AV receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom