1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need help in buying an A/V receiver!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Spacedog, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

I'm thinking about buying a dvd/audio system with an A/V receiver, DVD player, 2 speakers and a subwoofer.

I wonder if anyone can tell me about a good A/V receiver in the market. I've heard lots of good stuff about the Yamaha AV-RXV640RDS, but i'm new to this stuff so i don't know much about good/bad brands/models.

Anyone can help me? Give me some sugestions?

3 other A/V's in my list are Denon AVR1604, Marantz SR4400 and NAD T742.

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot.

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have a Yamaha amp. Which in the Yamaha tradition is well made, well featured and sounds great with movies, but not quite so good with music.

I haven't heard the others in your list but did recently listen to an Onkyo 5**something or other? that sounded really good and I was told are very reliable. Onkyo are massive in the rest of the world but haven't yet broken through in the UK.

The shop also had Harman but I didn't have time to listen to them.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You shouldn't go wrong with any of the amps in the shortlist. I used to own a Marantz SR4300 and must say, it was a fantastic little amp for the money.

The Yamahas are also very good. Haven't heard the NADS so cannot comment on them unfortunately.

As for the Denon, the 1804 is much better and more in line with the other amps in your shortlist. My uncle bought a Denon 1803 a while back, and the sound is nice, smooth, but some call it muddy, and I can kinda see where they are coming from. Some people like it, some people don't. Depends on what kinda music/sound you like.

4. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thankx a lot for your comments.

I'm really inclined to buy the Yamaha 640RDS. I've heard that the Harman Kardon AV230 it's pretty incredible for stereo music but i'm affraid i'll pay too much for a receiver that is inferior in features than the Yamaha, just because it's "Harman Kardon".

argh!! i'm pretty confused!

Either way, i guess i already chose to buy the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D to go along with the A/V.

What do you guys think?? is it a good choice?

Thanks once more!

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Marantz might be a better match for the Azur than the Yamaha, aesthetically and sonically.

I think Richer Sounds do the Marantz SR5400 for a bargain £299!!

The Harmon Kardon range of AV amps are great for stereo music, but the other amps equal them for anything else.

The Azure looks like a cracking deal for a DVD player, and the reviews have been fairly good so far, looks damn sexy too :).

Have a listen to the Yamaha and Marantz, maybe even the denon, I think Richer Sounds stock all three, and let your ears be the judge :)

6. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the Azur is beautiful!!!!

And what about the Azur A/V?? the 540R?? is it any good? it's lovely and i saw it on richer sounds for the same price as the Azur DVD player!!

Do you think the 540R could be a match for the Yamaha 640RDS??

I'd love to have the both Azures!!!! :)

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    If your wanting just a 2.1 system wouldn't it be better just to buy a quality integrated amp. This would be prefereable with a 2.1 set up as it'd be better at music. If you are wanting to add more speakers an av amp is the way to go obviously (for dd, dts decoder etc) but if your not wanting a lot of speakers in your room an integrated would be better imo.

8. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, i know what you mean Hawklord and you're totally right.

But my idea is to build, as i have the money, a 5.1 system.

Hence the A/V receiver.

By the way, do you know the 540R Azur A/V from Cambridge? Is it any good compared to the Yamaha 640RDS?

i can't find any reviews about it....

i confess... the Azures are winning my heart (and my pocket) they are beautiful!! :zonked:

9. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, i'm from Portugal and i want to ask you guys if it's safe to order from Richer Sounds.

Any of you ordered from them already? Is the service good??

The prices are very attractive compared to Portugal but i'm affraid anything happens in the way or that the machines arrive with any defect.

What do you think?

Thankx a lot for your time guys

10. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just figured out that richer sounds does not ship abroad!!:(

Do you guys know any store, with the same kind of prices, that does?

Thankx again.

11. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    You could try contacting Cambridge Audio direct for availability in Portugal. The closest distributor on the site is in Spain.

12. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankx for your sugestions.

I contacted today a local dealer here and he said he could order me the 540R A/V and the 540D player. The price of the DVD player is even cheaper than the Richer Sounds price (!!!!!) but the 540R A/V is slighty more expensive. But at least it's a local dealer and i can complaint if anything goes wrong, so i guess that it's worth the extra money.... ;)

I can't find any review on the 540R A/V... do you guys read any already??

the guy on the store said that the 540R A/V is better in audio than the Yamaha 640RDS... hope that's true!!!:)

thankz again for all your comments... i can't wait to get my hands (and my hears) on my little "Azures"...:zonked:

14. toohuge

toohuge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Try looking at some pioneers, the pioneer 812 and the 912, these are cracking amps for the price, look around for some exdemo marantz receivers as they do have a habit of going cheap.

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The 540R will be a good match for the 540D.

Judging by Cambridge Audios reputation, it should be very close to the Yamaha performance wise, but I haven't heard the 540R so couldn't comment for sure.

Looks wise, the two Cambridge unit would look awesome together. I love the new look of the Azure range. I would still pick a Marantz over the rest though, very good sound. The Pioneer 812 is also a good choice, but I'm not too keen on Pioneers take on music, far too overengineered, lacks warmth imho.

Like I said before, you won't go wrong with any of the above mentioned amps, they are all great, in fact, we are a spoilt bunch of consumers to have such high quality available to us across the board :):):)