I need help, having car troubles

wynnwillo212

Ex Member
Reaction score
My gf has a little v reg {99 plate}fiesta

The battery is brand new and fully charged but the car wont start and even the clock and radio dont work

If i connect a jumper pack the car starts first time and will run fine until its stopped and key is removed from the ignition

Im a biker and know sod all about cars when they go wrong :facepalm:

Anyone else had the same problem with their car ? or any mechanics who have seen this problem before :lease:

Looking for a hint at what the problem might :smashin:

Sounds like you haven't got a good connection between the new battery and the connections. I had the same with my R reg Renault. It turned out to be to much DIY grease from the previous owner on one terminal preventing a permanent connection. Your jump leads are posibbly cutting through the grease.

Or the altenator is.. dead

Last edited:
IG is quite right - could be a poor connection on the new battery terminal. Loosen off both the connections slightly and waggle them around, then tighten the terminals back up. See if that fixes it.

If it is not a connection problem it could be the new battery is faulty or needs re-charging.

The battery is brand new

...as in brand new just installed and the car doesn't start or... brand new and running for a couple of days and now the car doesn't start?
Did you replace the battery because the old one became flat for apparently no good reason?
When you got the car going with the jumper pack, did you remove the pack and the car remained running?
Did you leave the car running for say about 15mins to put some charge into the new battery (assuming it wasn't charged at all)?

Do you have (or can borrow) a multimeter to check voltages at the battery terminals?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz7P3qNHcE

Problems, as posted above...

Faulty battery
Flat battery
Bad terminal connections
Stuffed alternator (ouch)

Last edited:
Should this not be in motoring?
New battery could be scrap. Get it tested.

Bcause it starts with the jumper pack and continues to run until switched off it sounds like the car electrics are genrally fine.

It could be that the alternator is duff and not charging, which might have been the reason to prompt you to change the battery in the first place, but that wouldn't give the immediate symptome you are seeing.

So ...

The jumper is connected to the battery lead terminals (I assume) which leaves a number of options

(i) The connection between the car battery leads and your battery is poor. As otheres have said, remove clean and make sure contact is good.

(ii) The new battery is not charged or faulty.

You could easily test both of these with a multimeter (on volts setting) ....

(a) Voltmeter on battery terminals - if reads 14V or so then battery is most likely okay and charged.

(b) Voltmeter on car battery lead connectors - if reads 14V then connection to battery terminals is good

Cheers,

Nigel

My gf has a little v reg {99 plate}fiesta

The battery is brand new and fully charged but the car wont start and even the clock and radio dont work

If i connect a jumper pack the car starts first time and will run fine until its stopped and key is removed from the ignition

Im a biker and know sod all about cars when they go wrong :facepalm:

Anyone else had the same problem with their car ? or any mechanics who have seen this problem before :lease:

Looking for a hint at what the problem might :smashin:

Ok, MODS please move to correct section.

O/P can you give us an update please.

just to let everyone know it was a dodgy battery

The battery was charged but it was still faulty for some reason, something to do with the amps to low when it was discharging :confused: Means nothing to me

Swapped the battery at the place i bought it from as it came with 2 years warranty

car now starts everytime with no problems at all :D

Thanks for everyones help and ideas :smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom