1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help conecting my Denon3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ash007, Dec 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just bought a Denon 3802. I'm not sure which cables I need. Firstly, the Receiver is about 5m from my TV,DVD and Sky+ box.
    To set up, the Receiver it needs connecting to the TV (5metres away) as all the setup options are displayed here,
    so,
    Do i just get a cheap SVideo lead just for the setup process (unpluging after I've set all the setting)
    Or
    Do I really need to have my Receiver permenantly connected to my TV (Maybe it will display the receiver volume or other stuff, I don't know). In this case I think I would have to attach my Skybox S-Video out to my Receiver and then connect the S-Video out on the Receiver to the Scart on the TV.
    This solution would require 2 * 5 meteres of S-Video lead. Would this degrade the signal or not?
    What appears on the TV screen when connected all the time, anything important/handy?

Any help appreciated

Thanks,

Chris

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Various ways to connect depending on what you think is acceptable.

option 1 - RGB for both DVD and digibox but need to record via the RF.
    Audio carried from TV to Amp and DVD to amp (TV passes audio from vcr and
    digibox)

DVD > Digibox VCR scart ( use scart lead, set DVD to output RGB)
    Digibox > TV (use scart lead into RGB scart socket)
    Video > TV (scart lead into composite scart socket - Don't use an expensive cable, it would be wasted)
    Aerial > digibox > vcr > TV

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on your available connections)
    TV > Amp (using 2x phono connection)

-----------------------------------------

Option 2 - RGB for digibox and s-video for DVD. Allows recording via the scart. Audio the same as above

DVD > TV (scart into s-video scart)
    Digibox > TV (scart into RGB scart)
    Digibox > VCR (composite scart - Don't use expensive cable for this one)
    Aerial > digibox > vcr > TV

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on your available connections)
    ------------------------------------------

Option 3 - TV doesn't pass audio or doesn't pass it with decent quality. Will require manual switching between sources. Use video connections as option 1 or 2.

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on
    your available connections)
    VCR > Amp (using 2x phono connection)
    Digibox > Amp (using 2x phono connection)

3. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Do I really need to have my Receiver permenantly connected to my TV (Maybe it will display the receiver volume or other stuff, I don't know). "

No, most settings can be done on the reciever (with info in the recievers display)

For 1st time setup (small/large speakers etc) I think you have to connect it to the TV. Use "anything" that is 5 meters and connects to the composite output on the reciever.