Question I Need help choosing a Grey screen !

andy1read

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I currently have an 84 inch Beamax 1.2 gain white fixed frame screen, which I was using with my Sony VPL-HW10, a few weeks ago I upgraded my projector to an Epson EH-TW7300.
The contrast and black levels are better with the Epson, but I would like to improve them by getting a grey screen, also I want to get a 92 inch screen.
My room is 345 cm wide 330 long , the screen is mounted on the wall 345 cm wide. The screen wall is painted black, the ceiling and the other three walls are fairly light coloured.
There is a large bay window on the wall behind the projector, this has blackout curtains, but light does enter the room from above, below and at the sides of the curtain, I'm hoping to reduce a lot of the light around the curtains.
The front of the projector is 280 cm from the screen.
Viewing position is directly in front of the screen, under the projector.
I was keen on getting an Aeon Edge Free 92 CineGrey 3D screen, but my projector is too close to the screen, as the screen is 203.7 cm wide, and the minimum distance is 1.5 x screen width, which would be 305.5 cm, I could move the projector further back to get the minimum distance, by fixing the projector to the ceiling of the bay window, but I would prefer to avoid that unless the the cinegrey 3D is really good.
The screens I am looking at are,
1- Elite Aeon Edge Free 92" CineGrey 3D 1.2 gain. 499 Euros plus 70 euros delivery.
I not sure how effective the Elite Aeon cinegrey 3D would be with the light from the window, as the window is behind the projector.

2- Elite Sable frame 92 inch Cinegrey 1.0 gain. 399 Euros plus 70 euro delivery.

3- Silver ticket 92 inch grey. 1.0 gain. Around £180 plus delivery from USA.
The cheapest of the screens.

4- Beamax A series 92 inch grey. 0.9 gain.White screen is around £400, will be getting a price for the grey tomorrow. From a local shop.
The A series frame is the same as the 84 inch I already have, if the design hasn't changed, I can use the brackets already on the wall, so easy to fit, and I also I am familiar with Beamax as I have owned one for 10 years.

Any advice or comments to help me choose would be appreciated, or recommend another screen.

If anyone owns one of these screens (any size), what do you think of it ?

thanks

The Cinegray 3D is ALR which has a lot of drawbacks such as hot spotting and restrictive projection angle (made worse by the window behind the projector). my layout (and projector) is the same as yours. I went for the cinegray 1.0 gain material for my DIY screen (mainly due to cost) and am very happy with it, but its not very gray, if you didnt know you would think its white. Cant comment on the other two as i have no experience of them. General consensus seems to be that a react screen would be the best possible for a light coloured room, but their expensive.

The Cinegray 3D is ALR which has a lot of drawbacks such as hot spotting and restrictive projection angle (made worse by the window behind the projector). my layout (and projector) is the same as yours. I went for the cinegray 1.0 gain material for my DIY screen (mainly due to cost) and am very happy with it, but its not very gray, if you didnt know you would think its white. Cant comment on the other two as i have no experience of them. General consensus seems to be that a react screen would be the best possible for a light coloured room, but their expensive.
When I looked at the cinegrey 1.0 gain on Elites website, I thought the grey looked like a very light grey.
Did you go from a white screen to the cinegrey? If you did, was there a noticeable difference in black levels? Or is the cinegrey your first screen ?
I think I won't get the Cinegrey 3D, it's a lot of hassle moving the projector, it might not have much effect on the light from the window, and if I get hotspots or sparkles on the display, that would annoy me.

I came from New 100" Electric HD Projection Screen projector home cinema 16:9 Matt Grey | eBay which was a much darker grey than the Elite. There was no noticeable black level difference in my room when i overlaid them. The cheap screen i linked to suffered from sparkles and poor uniformity which is why i changed it. I think it would be hard to do better than the Cinegray for the money, i watch sports during the daytime with the blinds open and the image is perfectly acceptable.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Where did you buy your cinegrey screen material from? I live in the UK, I haven't found anywhere in the UK to buy Elite screens. Only From Germany.

Ordered it direct from their website. Postage was quite expensive (€70 for the roll of material only), but still cheaper overall than anything available over here. Arrived in a few days.

If your handy at diy you could save yourself £200+ by ordering just the material and knocking a frame together, you then also get to build to the exact size and ratio you want instead of choosing from the preset options.

Just made a wooden frame, pulled the material tight by hand and stapled in place.

Was the sheet you ordered designed to fit into an Elite frame, with the edge of the material designed to attach to a frame, not sure what method elite use. or was it just a plain sheet of screen material.

Was the sheet you ordered designed to fit into an Elite frame, with the edge of the material designed to attach to a frame, not sure what method elite use. or was it just a plain sheet of screen material.
The material comes with the edge folded over and bonded to create a pocket (presumably for tensioning rods) like this but without the eyelets
702201140_915.jpg

You just pull the material taught by hand and staple through it. I would recommend getting the next screen size up if you follow this method as it gives you more to play with IE order 100" instead of 92".

I got a price for the Beamax 92 inch today, £480. I am tempted to make one, I just looked on Elite's website and the 100" is the same price as the 92".
Where the fold is, and a tension rod is inserted, are there gaps in the material exposing the rod, where the rod gets attached to the frame. I would like to get some rod, and try and attach the screen with some tension.

Not sure what you mean by gaps.There are no gaps along the length of the fold if that's what you mean, although they could be added by yourself if needed. The ends are open to slide the rods through on the top and bottom. The sides were sealed off by the crimper and would need a small slit to open up again.
I'm not sure why you would want to add rods, just seems to be making things more complicated. Have a look at the following thread, @Goldleader80 made a frame very similar to how i made mine.

Spare Bedroom Conversion

Also here is an image the show the greyness of the screen.
IMG_20170322_151538.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom