I need good 'thin' cable so I can bi-wire please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sponnie, Mar 8, 2006.

1. sponnie

sponnie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I currently have a Pioneer Precision amp and it has only got 2 binding posts per channel with really only enough room for 1 set of cables for each speaker. I can sqeeze in some Cable Talk but it's not the greatest fit.

The thing is, I have read that to get a good sound one really needs thick cable. Even the QED Silver stuff at £5 metre is a bit too thick. Is there any really good cable that is both cheap (approx £5) and thin enough to fit in one set of binding posts?

Also, I only need 1 metre lengths per speaker. Does that matter?

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

2. sponnie

sponnie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi again.

Can someone please confirm something for me. After reading a few threads regarding speaker cable it appears that there is a great swindle happening in the hi-fi world. Lots of people on here are saying Van Damme blue is about as good as it gets and even Cat5 cable (which to my knowledge is used for computer networks?) is just as good.

Why do the hi-fi magazines keep going on about QED silver etc?

The thing is though. I'm sure I noticed a difference between Cable Talk 3.1 and QED silver. The Cable Talk seemed to produce a lot more bass. Or was I imagining things?

The main point I would like to know is:

Due to the fact I only need to run 1 metre pairs of cable would I get away with using Van Damme 2.5mm so that I can fit the cable into the binding posts and still get the same quality of sound as I would with Van Damme 4mm?

I know they are cheap but I'm really broke and don't want to spend the £20 needed to try both sets.

Thanks for any advice :)

3. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Go with the 2.5mm Van Damme and dont biwire it wont make much of a noticeable difference.

4. sponnie

sponnie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know I'm really confused!

Everywhere I've read has said that if you have bi-wirable speakers then you must bi-wire as the sound improvement is noticeable.

I guess I will just try it out when I get everything set up.

Does anyone else agree that bi-wiring is not really much of an issue?

Is it bi-amping that gets the most improvement?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,521
    Hello sponnie

Video and Audio cables are a great source of debate :)

Usually the debate centres around the science of all things electrical and bits of copper with rubber coatings on and the 'pseudo' science some cable manufacturers then introduce to muddy the waters.

The VanDamme Blue Series 2x1.5mm, 2x2.5mm, 2x4mm and 2x6mm are decent quality cables made with good raw materials and are flexible and durable enough for use in many Pro and Consumer systems.

If your Amplifier is out of warranty and your keen to experiment with cables and your current binding posts don't lend themselves to a Bi-wire set-up you may be better to first consider replacing the binding posts for something that will allow you to experiment a bit better.

CAT5 has to be your saviour if your desperate to experiment with loudspeaker cables and are working on a tight budget.

Bi-wiring can work well with some loudspeakers as can Bi-amping - though its unlikely you'll achieve a Bi-amp set-up for 20.00 GBP :)

Best regards

Joe