Question I need assistance with an RCA Universal Remote

daniexmachina

Novice Member
Reaction score
I don't know where to turn for help. I have an RCA Universal Remote rcrh02br, and apparently I bumped something on it, and now it's telling me it's locked. I only get static and can't even change the input. I couldn't find help on the RCA troubleshooting site, nor did I see a way to contact them. This is really obnoxious. I had to move my other tv into my living room and now that one isn't working with my cable box. I just want things working again! What's wrong with the remote? (I tried reprogramming via the instructions that came with it).

I don't know where to turn for help. I have an RCA Universal Remote rcrh02br, and apparently I bumped something on it, and now it's telling me it's locked. I only get static and can't even change the input. I couldn't find help on the RCA troubleshooting site, nor did I see a way to contact them. This is really obnoxious. I had to move my other tv into my living room and now that one isn't working with my cable box. I just want things working again! What's wrong with the remote? (I tried reprogramming via the instructions that came with it).
Is it the channel lock type thing in the instructions

http://www.voxxintlcorp.com/docs/common/RCRH02BR/RCRH02BR_OM.pdf

Or did you lock the TV somehow?

Or something else?

I forgot I had found the word lock in my instructions, so I tried the RCA instructions and that didn't help. Also, I don't remember anything useful in that thread, I had read that thread before and it seemed it was the about the actual remote that came with that tv.And on RCA's website, their "support" is just the device codes, with no place to contact them. I've had it for about a month with no problems. But thanks for replying.

It seems the issue is the remote locking up I would personally take the batteries out and bin it. The cost of a new equivalent would seem reasonable to me to give up with it but fully understand everybody has different financial views and opinions. The remote model you gave is certainly not in the realms of unbinnable to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I was having is when I turned the tv back on after unplugging it, it stayed with the static and locked. It seems I would have to get a new tv and that would be stupid.

The problem I was having is when I turned the tv back on after unplugging it, it stayed with the static and locked. It seems I would have to get a new tv and that would be stupid.
Ah - that seems to clarify the TV is locked which may have been a command sent by the remote to the TV. That would be to do with the TV menus hence the maker of the TV rather than the maker of the remote would be the one to contact. Also have you got the original remote for the TV? I am assuming you replace it with the RCA universal remote but the TV instructions should cover the original remote commands that lock and unlock the TV. If you are lucky they may tell you how to lock and unlock the TV using controls on the TV itself - or not....

Not being rude here but we can only help if we have reasonable information. I did ask some simple questions and unfortunately I am still not sure of the exact issue you are having.

My assumptions are now that you have a TV of unknown make and model that has become "locked" after unplugging it and powering it back on. The universal remote (not original TV remote) commands prior to the unplugging may or may not have a bearing on this. What locked means for the TV is also not clear in terms of any on screen message or similar. It seems there is static on the screen regardless of buttons pressed on the remote but that isn't entirely useful to work out what is going on.

Does the TV have any on board controls. Can these be used to enter a menu and reset the TV or do anything useful at all? Can the source be changed - in fact what source are you on? What is connected? I assume terrestrial tuner but that is a guess. Have you got or obtained the TV instructions? Have you checked the TV maker support systems whatever they are?

@JayCee was IMO spot on with the advice to check maker support. Like me though I doubt he was sure which device you are having the actual issue with.

I wasn't trying to be unclear, I'm forgetful and this is really confusing to me, so I'm scattered, I apologize. I said the tv remained locked after unplugging and replugging it in. That did not cause it. The tv is secondhand. I have no instructions and the original remote won't help anything because it stopped working, which is why I need the RCA one. I guess I could look into the tv brand for instructions, but they will probably tell me what to do with the remote that doesn't work. So I'm kind of at a catch 22 and wishing I had the money to say, forget it, I'll just get a new tv because this is frustrating me very, very much.

I have no idea what on board controls are. I mentioned before, I cannot change the input. It stays on the same static screen. If I hit ANY button, it does nothing but says, 'locked'. It's got to be the dumbest feature to have someone be able to hit by accident.

All TVs have on board controls somewhere. Touch on the front, old fashioned buttons on the side, a joystick and buttons on the back........

Search for the online instruction manual for your TV. It should tell you what that locking feature is all about. It is a feature of the TV first and foremost so that is where to look. If the feature can only be activated on the remote you will either see which button sequence would work on the universal remote or what would work on the original remote. Search for a new original remote and see what they cost. Some universal remotes will replace virtually every button and function of an original but those universal remotes are expensive.

If the universal remote locked the TV then it will unlock it - it's just whether or not the buttons match what is required on the original remote as to how easy it will be.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom