I need an email penpal

pantages

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am 65, in a 35 year relationship, into movies, home cinema, travel, most music, and just about everything. I am not perfect but I am honest. I don't know anyone because we have moved so many times to different parts of the country, so people come and then they go. Now I live in a semi rural area in Lincolnshire and I really would enjoy writing to someone on a regular basis. I have tried various email penpal sites, but once my age is known, nobody wants to know me. I make a good friend and I chat about anything. Anyone any advice or suggestions - constructive ones naturally?! ;)

Well if you are into music, HC, films then you will probably end up posting on here quite often.

And when you do post over the space of a few years you tend to find that you feel like you 'actually know' some of the regulars, even though you have never met them or seen what they look like (although you probably make a mental image - most aren't pretty:D).

Take me for example. A 30-something who can't accept getting older, can't understand all these new aches and pains, grumpy about most new things, think music was better in the old days, hate calling films 'movies', think the country is going to pot, think youngsters have no respect any more, think most films are over-hyped, can't decide what to think on global warming, think most news stories are added to the culture of fear, not mad on George Bush, prefer foreign football to EPL etc etc etc.

Welcome along.

Well if you are into music, HC, films then you will probably end up posting on here quite often.

And when you do post over the space of a few years you tend to find that you feel like you 'actually know' some of the regulars, even though you have never met them or seen what they look like (although you probably make a mental image - most aren't pretty:D).

Take me for example. A 30-something who can't accept getting older, can't understand all these new aches and pains, grumpy about most new things, think music was better in the old days, hate calling films 'movies', think the country is going to pot, think youngsters have no respect any more, think most films are over-hyped, can't decide what to think on global warming, think most news stories are added to the culture of fear, not mad on George Bush, prefer foreign football to EPL etc etc etc.

Welcome along.

Blimey! You just covered 2 years of "getting to know someone" in one bloody paragraph.:eek: I've known people 15yrs and still don't know any of that stuff about them.:(

Here's to forum friends.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh, and welcome Orheum!

Hi Orpheum,

I see you've been a member for a year nearly, but this is your first post?

I would urge you to take RMCF's advice. Post here and I'm sure you'll get a big response. And your just not limiting yourself to correspondence with just one person.

This is a great community, which is by and large, thoughtful, friendly, supportive, compassionate and intelligent. You can talk about anything, be it highbrow or just idle bantor, and you'll usually get a interesting reply.

We have some real charactors here (and LGS ;) )

I don't see age being a problem at all on these boards. The average age is higher than you'd expect.

So welcome aboard and get posting!

Hi Orpheum,

I see you've been a member for a year nearly, but this is your first post?

I would urge you to take RMCF's advice. Post here and I'm sure you'll get a big response. And your just not limiting yourself to correspondence with just one person.

This is a great community, which is by and large, thoughtful, friendly, supportive, compassionate and intelligent. You can talk about anything, be it highbrow or just idle bantor, and you'll usually get a interesting reply.

I don't see age being a problem at all on these boards. The average age is higher than you'd expect.

So welcome aboard and get posting!

Don't forget that posts in 'Non-AV' related sections don't get you 1 added t your post count. I used to be around 1600 until they kicked me back to 800!!:(

Just join a few forums and gettin chatting away. Don't need a penpal these days, everyone everywhere is on the internet.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I have been using these forums for many years with some 1500 posts in a previous incarnation. I found many people to have much in common and we would be in touch for quite some time, but then for one reason or another they, or I, would move on. But I'll be around for while and hope to make some new contacts.

As for RMCF, well, it could have been me that wrote his words. One thing is clear, age is irrelevant and I hate to have to quote it on some websites. I get on well with people of all ages, race or colour, but I do not tolerate extremism of any kind - life is too short to become bitter and twisted. Live for today, tomorrow will take care of itself!

RMCF is only parading as a thirty something, he's really 92!;)

I get on well with people of all ages, race or colour, but I do not tolerate extremism of any kind - life is too short to become bitter and twisted. Live for today, tomorrow will take care of itself!

Spoken like a true 41 yr old!!:smashin:

RMCF is only parading as a thirty something, he's really 92!;)

Who told you!!

Now my g/f says that I go on like a 90 year old at times, but I'm nowhere near that. Honestly.;)

Although orpheum says that he could have written my words - and he's 65!!, so that gives you a good indication that I'm generally a grumpy old man.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on everything orpheum from now on, but you don't sound controversial at all. No fun in that.:devil:

I am the resident oddbal:D

This is no an ageist site. As you can see from my avatar I am not exactly a youngster myself . Do you like my hairstyle? My wife thinks look like a mad professor. The shades are dead cool and i wear all the time. Anyway welcome on board

Welcome along.

Bl**dy hell! So it's not just me as a 30-something that thinks like that then. :D No real problem with aches and pains yet though - touch wood.

As a grumpy old moderator, can you explain your 1500 posts in a previous incarnation, either here or by pm to me :thumbsup:

Dave

but you don't sound controversial at all. No fun in that.:devil:

Wanna bet?! You don't get to be 65 without experiencing the best and worst of life. The next 30 years will bring you experiences you never imagined possible or could happen to you.

No real problem with aches and pains yet though - touch wood.

You might think it unlikely but neither have I and all my bits and pieces still function. The strangest thing is that you don't feel older, you still think as you did years ago, albeit a bit wiser, and it still comes as a shock when you look in a mirror, - but I can still turn heads! ;)

As a grumpy old moderator, can you explain your 1500 posts in a previous incarnation, either here or by pm to me :thumbsup:

Dave

Moving house, changing phone numbers, switching to broadband, new email address, etc, gave me a chance to start over again. So, if you are observant you will have noticed my alta-ego, but goodness knows how I managed to register twice!

Man, don't I know this :(

Still, I still here so it ain't all bad :thumbsup:

Hey, most of it is good - never knock it 'till you have tried it! We definitely become more adventurous as we grow older. There is no coming back for another go if we screw up this time around.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom