I need advice: Best Blu-Ray reader for Windows 7 PC's? Samsung keep dying.

ParkerXL

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This forum has yet to let me down, so when my second Samsung Blu-Ray drive died on me in less than 2 months, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any very reliable readers.

I don't need it to be super fast, and i don't need a writer, i just need it to stay alive.

My first drive lasted 30 minutes, because the firmware auto-updater amaingly, auto downloaded and installed firmware for the WRONG model.

2 weeks later i buy a new one, it lasts 2 months use (i love my films and watch a lot of them)

I go to watch Layer Cake today and the drive doesn't even notice a disc is inserted if i use a BD - it recognises CD/DVD fine.

The firmware is updated currectly, so it seems that there's something up with the laser.

The last thing i did with it was burn some DVD's fir a friend maybe that is what triggered the fault.

anyway, any reliable blu-ray readers out there? I keep getting duds.

I hate Samsung, their burners are rubbish, imo.

Having got my bias out of the way (just so you know where I'm coming from), I'd recommend Lite-on.
Their burners have always proved reliable to me.
But it's a lottery.

I've been happy with my LG, although my unit is a Blu-ray/HD-DVD combo which should give you an idea of how long it has been since I last looked at them!

But I've also had some rubbish LG drives. The GSA-4163B was rubbish. I had two of them used alongside each other - one stopped reading DVD discs after 2 years, the other one developed a tray fault.

Last edited:
it seems quite a lottery really, which is disappointing. All i want is to be able to watch my Blu's on my computer, You's think after all this time, there would be a few good drives out there that you can count on.

i really appreciate the feedback fellas. All i had previously been doing was going off the reviews on Amazon but the advice from this forum has always been bang on, keep em coming if anyone else wants to put in their two cents.

regarding samsung drives, i have to agree with badger. 2 dead after 2 months. That's not a small amount of money, and I'm very disappointed.

it seems quite a lottery really, which is disappointing. All i want is to be able to watch my Blu's on my computer, You's think after all this time, there would be a few good drives out there that you can count on.

i really appreciate the feedback fellas. All i had previously been doing was going off the reviews on Amazon but the advice from this forum has always been bang on, keep em coming if anyone else wants to put in their two cents.

regarding samsung drives, i have to agree with badger. 2 dead after 2 months. That's not a small amount of money, and I'm very disappointed.

If it isnt your fault shouldnt you be due a replacement or refund if the item has an inherant fault?

If it isnt your fault shouldnt you be due a replacement or refund if the item has an inherant fault?

Depends who you buy it off. Some 3rd party sellers on amazon dont provide warranties, and I'm not sure if the manufacturers warranty covers them, but i'll certainly check it out.

A warranty shouldn't matter if it fails within 6 months from new as the fault is assumed to be inherent. Not sure how this applies if your buying second hand off amazon...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom