1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a wireless surround sound system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by magnole01, Oct 23, 2005.

1. magnole01

magnole01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking for a surround sound system with wireless rear speakers. i have a budget of £350 but cant seem to find what im looking for. Can anyone help

2. daveande

daveande
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How about the Sony DAV-DZ700FW, at £358.70?

3. fathervic

fathervic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    One of the systems to look at would be the Panasonic SCHT880W. It has a little receiver you place at the back. It's not a totally wireless system but a start of something that may fit the bill... The SRP may be above your budget but you can always shop around. Wireless technology is still not quite there yet for practicality/quality for HiFi and H/C applications (and I dare say cost for the manufacturers). There's still plenty of discrete cable around thats fairly easily hidden...

4. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony Wireless soulution (SDIAT) uses a digital infra-red system which gives good, clear rear surround channel audio.
    Other manufacturers use FM which is most defianately inferior in audio quality.

I have the DAV-700 and can confirm it works just as well as my JBL 5.1 wired speaker setup.

5. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there,

whats the difference between the DAV-700 and the DAV-500 ? Is it only the wireless functionality?

6. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 700 has two digital inputs, to facilitiate connecting other dolby digital devices such as sky+, PS2, external dvd player and so on....

7. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi - a few questions please, re; DZ700FW

1. Would you say that the quality (wireless rears) would be un-noticable - I currently have a Sony HT-K250?

2. How do you set up the rears? Did someone said it used infared?

Thanks.

8. Kopacabana

Kopacabana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The rears are indeed infra-red.

There is a small transmitter, linked to the DVD player which has it's own little stand (it's quite 'cute' as it's tiny). It can be placed anywhere (has a very long lead allowing this).

The receiver, linked to the base one of the rear speakers, is just as small and again can be placed nearly anywhere.

The signal is very strong and seems to be able to negotiate table and chair legs.

9. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Since it is a pain to get at the moment, I have found it for £350 delivered from www.bananamedia.at (based in Germnany).

Never bought anything other than a DVD from overseas, if anyone has any advise or thoughts about doing this.

Thanks.