I need a vista dvd/iso image / where to get it ?

claire

So heres the situation,

1. I bought a laptop it had vista on it (hp6735s)
  2. I downgraded it too xp
  3. I dropped laptop so hardrive mucked up
  4. Bought a new hardrive
  5. Reinstalled xp.
  1. I now want to install vista
  2. I have product key
  3. But dont have a cd/dvd/iso file
  4. Where can i obtain one legally ? without having to buy a brand new windows vista operating system
I have a cd that came with laptop, but there is no operating system on it, its just drivers and optional software.

I tryed searching the microsoft website but sadly had no luck.

Any helpful information would be grately appreciated :lease:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Although I don't have a link to hand, I saw on ebay people selling just the media (the install disc) for vista, win 7 that came without product keys. They were 100% legit, as remember when you buy Windows, you are only in effect buying that product key.

So I would say, do a quick browse on ebay, use common sense and you will be fine :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Although I don't have a link to hand, I saw on ebay people selling just the media (the install disc) for vista, win 7 that came without product keys. They were 100% legit, as remember when you buy Windows, you are only in effect buying that product key.

So I would say, do a quick browse on ebay, use common sense and you will be fine :thumbsup:
surely if it was legit it would come with a key, probably OEM, any way to the OP you should make sure you get the correct version for the key, it's probably an OEM key tied to the media that the laptop manufacturer provides, so I would contact the laptop maker and see if you can get replacement discs.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
surely if it was legit it would come with a key, probably OEM, any way to the OP you should make sure you get the correct version for the key, it's probably an OEM key tied to the media that the laptop manufacturer provides, so I would contact the laptop maker and see if you can get replacement discs.
That's what I thought, but they appeared to be the genuine retail packs but sold without keys :)confused:) but they weren't OEM copies. Who knows, but yes, OP, contact the manufacturer, they might just charge postage or do it for free

MarkE19

If you have any friends or family with an OEM Vista DVD then you could borrow that, or even make a copy of the DVD. You can legally copy the DVD as long as you have a legit license key to activate Vista with - and you have already stated that you do.
Once Vista is installed just use the other disk you have to load the drivers and other supplied software.

I have installed XP and Vista onto Dell/HP/IBM PC's & laptops from a generic OEM install disk (original disks as well as copied disks) and used the license key on the case to activate it with no issues in the past. As stated the license key is genuine so there is no legal issues with doing it this way.

Mark.

tonyk79

If its a branded laptop, Toshiba, Sony, Acer etc.. it will probably have a hidden partition that will allow you to reinstall the original os, however as u replaced the hd when you downgraded to XP this will obviously be gone. You could contact the Manufacturer and see if they have a system restore disc available.

Madhousedk

Standard Member
Yeah i'm going to try getting in touch with hp, anyone know best/fast method ?
Just give HP business support a ring.. Thy can send you the media, might take a week or two, but you will get the correct dvd's with drives and all..

i dont know the phone number for england, but i work at a HP business gold partner and we used to do this for our customers..

spyder viewer

how can i copy to dvd an os vista (installer) from my brand new acer aspire 5920....
Not nice to hijack somebody else's thread so if you have further questions, start your own thread. You need to make a disk image then you can restore the computer to the condition it was at the time the image was made. You cannot create a new set of installation disks.

CALLMENUJAK

That's what I thought, but they appeared to be the genuine retail packs but sold without keys :)confused:) but they weren't OEM copies. Who knows, but yes, OP, contact the manufacturer, they might just charge postage or do it for free
If you were to buy an OEM installation disk on ebay you will be able to use your own Product Key/C of A.

Speedy624

Personally I would google it and download it, burn it to disk and install.

MarkE19

I would be very careful about where I downloaded any image of Windows and only do it from a site I trust. There is a good chance that any unknown source could have added some nasty surprises to the image that may not be too easy to spot :rolleyes:

Mark.

spyder viewer

I would be very careful about where I downloaded any image of Windows and only do it from a site I trust. There is a good chance that any unknown source could have added some nasty surprises to the image that may not be too easy to spot :rolleyes:

Mark.
Surely a disk image would only work if it were installed on an exactly identical system?

spyder viewer

Gotcha: you mean it's an image of the windows dvd. I was confusing it with an image of a hard drive!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom