I need a Sony DVD player with optical in and speaker outs, whats out there? Need help

S

**slash**

OK

I have a Sony DAV S300 HTIB system. It works fine and its good for what I use it for, but I really want to be able to hook up my Xbox for surround sound.

I therefore require a DVD unit with an optical input, which typically my unit does not have.

Because I already have the speakers, I'm ideally looking for another Sony unit (as the speakers will slot straight in without messing around with the connecters), but it must have a built in amplifier.

Of course, only the HTIB systems have a built-in amplifier, and I don't want to spend money on a whole new system just to get one optical input! I've looked on eBay for prtial packages but to no avail :(

I've thought of getting an external AV receiver with an amplifier, which would have loads of inputs, but I don't want to spend too much as I'm moving house in 2 days!!!

How hard is it to cut off the Sony-shaped connectors on my speaker wires to fit in another make of DVD player?

What modles are there with a built-in amp that would be suitable?

If an external amp is the nest way to go, what should I look for? There's juast so many different models to wade through and its giving me a headache - someone save me!

Cheers!

Not a personal fan of the solution in box style systems so cant recommend a model that will do what you want and within reasonable prices I believe you will be looking at trying to get part of a htib package.

I would look carefully at the details of your speakers. It may be different for your system but several years ago I had a htib package and the speakers were very "tuned" to the amp - I attempted to use a pair of the speakers as rears with my AVR when my proper rears died and even though the claimed ratings for the speakers were well above the AVRs output the speakers sounded terrible and the sound totally corrupted when above -60db (normal TV listening -50db and movies -40db).

So in short - be warned that the speakers may sound terrible if partnered with another amp

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom