1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a portable DVD player

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by suzywong, Jun 14, 2004.

1. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK folks,

I've got a birthday coming up :beer: :beer: :beer: and my dear wife has offered to buy me one of those portable DVD walkmen thingys, :D so that I can choose which movie I watch during those interminable flights to Atlanta (nine & half hours from Gatwick:boring: ......almost enough time for LOTR 1, 2 & 3....and then nearly two hours to get out of the airport:mad: ....I kid you not!)

So, suggestions please....what do I look for, how much is it worth spending etc

2. sunshine01sj

sunshine01sj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me & mine a very happy with our cheapy Venturer (bought for £179) from Argos 533/4063, now £199. It was intended only for use on long car journeys, but has been brilliant for children watching fave DVDs in bed when ill too. We've used it more than we ever thought be would. Picture's brill, sounds great & has a choice of viewing options (widescreen etc).
    Sorry if this isn't the techie answer you were looking for, but hey, a recommendation's as good as a load of blurb, eh?

3. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a 7" Shinco widescreen a couple of weeks ago. What a great little machine. Apparently they make the machines for the big boys who then rebadge etc. Whteher they do or not I don't really care.

The machine is ultra thin with and aluminium case, plays all regions, comes with remote, battery, mains power, car power and outputs optical digital etc etc. You can do all that you can on normal DVD with sound effect, DD, etc and the picture is :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

All for less than £200 squids. Well worth a look. They do 8" and 10" as well.

Do beware though - they have just upgraded the machine and there are a lot of the older models doing the rounds - look for a 1720 model (me thinks). It has better transport/laser and is thinner than the former version. :nono:

Battery last for approx 3.5 hrs - so you may have to buy another as standby if you can't get local power at seat. As I recall the extra battery is a whopping £48 :eek: but at least you won't have to put up with flight fodder

happy hunting

4. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The Huss - if you have the 1720 can you tell me, does it have any form of AV in as I'd love to be able to display my digicam pics on it when away using this type of feature.

Website I've found for 1720 is http://www.allcam.biz/products/shinco_dvd.html

5. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Andrewdolphin

I wouldn't be able to confirm this directly as I don't own a digicam. I can check this evening though and read up on the user guide.

It does however support static images apparently, which I have yet to explore. Still getting to grips with a digital camera purchased a few months ago :blush:

However the link you provided is precisley where I purchased my machine and they have a forum page which appears to be a direct link to Allcam and they answer you question there and then.

You may find this preferable as I had trouble understanding the accent of somebody who worked there when placing my order. All went through OK though so perhaps it was me.

Will try find out this evening.

6. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cheers for that - the only reason I asked here was becuase I hadn't got an answer on that forum, however now I do and apparently it can be done.

Might have to put my order in now with a spare battery to boot.

7. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D If it does what you want re digicam PLUS all the other DVD related features to boot then I'm sure you won't regret it.

I did look at buying the 8" but the resolution remains the same as the 7" so I guessed the picture would be less detailed. No regrets with my purchase........yet!!

8. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Although I'm sure 7" will be fine I'm sure my girlfirend will disagree! ;)

9. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    There appears to be a great bargain going but only until 17 August for a 7" Portable DVD

It's at KwikSave of all places !!!

10. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The Kwiksave is a rebadged version of the one Aldi did earlier this year for £159 not sure if this one comes with the carry case, car mounting straps and car adaptor but that would explain the price drop. It's a great machine and should take the same MR hack as the Aldi one. It has one set of AV sockets which are switchable from output to input so you can paly anything that has a standard phono lead.

11. sunderfl

sunderfl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about Coby's?!