I need a new TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

a27

Right, here's the score.

I have an old TV from the 90s. It's square and not widescreen.

When I play the same game (Pro Evolution Soccer 6 on the PS2) with the same connection (scart), the picture looks brighter and clearer on my friend's widescreen CRT which it not HD.

I think he bought his Tv in the last 3 years and so I'm inclined to believe that he has a 480p TV while I have a 480i one.

My uses for this TV will be Sky TV(non-HD), DVD (not blu-ray or HD-DVD) and the Wii.

Therefore, I need recommendations on a good TV that will help me get the best performance out of those 3.

I'm under the impression that the answer will be 408p/EDTV. I have no plans to go HD for a few years at least and price is an issue so I'd rather not spend up to £500 on the TV.

So I suppose I want the biggest and best screen I can get for under £450.

Moogle

Novice Member
480p is only possible if you have a high definition or enhanced definition capable TV and are using a component cable. More then likely his TV is just a normal CRT TV and he is using a composite cable that comes included with the console. If that is the case he just has a better quality TV.

scharf_10

Novice Member
You might be better asking around the LCD section. They will be able to give you a better idea of what is suited for your needs. Personally i wouldnt go for plasma as this is more expensive, and also theres all the issues such as screen burn.

VEGACORTEZ

I would stick with a 32" widescreen crt from a top maker which can do 480p like a toshiba maybe which will be very cheap now. For the products you have this would be fine. An lcd will make any non prog scan games look worse than crt & even with prog scan (480p) some games on some lcd tv's can look not as good as a crt, as i found out on my Sony Bravia lcd, which makes some games look great & some awful, due to how it processes a non HD signal. I put Zelda using the crappy composite cable on my lcd & my Sony 21" crt & the image was more suited to the crt, although both on this cable were not the best, obviously. Hope this helps

Indiana Jones

Are you using the included composite cables with a scart adapter or a proper RGB Scart Cable? because using RGB Scart definitely gives you better colours and clearer text.

shagaboopon

I personally watch little TV but use my screen for gaming and DVD's. With my Mirai 32" HD LCD the quality on all connections is great. I use a freeview PVR which maks the little TV I watch look nice enough although if you were to use tha analogue tuner built in it wouldn't look that good. The TV retails for around £400-450 and is an excellent all rounder, if you dont believe me check out the thread for Mirai in the LCD section. As for how it looks with the Wii, mine looks best with 576i 50Hz instead of 480i 60Hz. I'm really looking forward to getting a component video cable for 480p.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
i'd go with the above, as the Wii is not a HD console, get the biggest and best looking CRT you can afford (assuming space is not an issue)...a good picture 32in CRT is easily in your budget nowadays :)
or you could even consider finding a quality second hand 36in CRT...heh..but those puppies really are huge in respect to overall dimensions....lol

they also weigh a helluvalot!

for £450, you can probably find a really cheap and naff 32in LCD...possibly...not worth the money in my opinion.......the picture will most likely be very poor.....perhaps a 26in one will look reasonably ok....but for £450 i'd imagine the best you'll get is 20in that actually looks really good...

a27

I would stick with a 32" widescreen crt from a top maker which can do 480p like a toshiba maybe which will be very cheap now. For the products you have this would be fine. An lcd will make any non prog scan games look worse than crt & even with prog scan (480p) some games on some lcd tv's can look not as good as a crt, as i found out on my Sony Bravia lcd, which makes some games look great & some awful, due to how it processes a non HD signal. I put Zelda using the crappy composite cable on my lcd & my Sony 21" crt & the image was more suited to the crt, although both on this cable were not the best, obviously. Hope this helps
What if I got a used rear-projection widescreen?

How do they compare with the 32" CRTs?

Does the Wii look better on a HD set or do I get the same picture if I connect to an EDTV with the right cable?

a27

i'd go with the above, as the Wii is not a HD console, get the biggest and best looking CRT you can afford (assuming space is not an issue)...a good picture 32in CRT is easily in your budget nowadays :)
or you could even consider finding a quality second hand 36in CRT...heh..but those puppies really are huge in respect to overall dimensions....lol

they also weigh a helluvalot!

for £450, you can probably find a really cheap and naff 32in LCD...possibly...not worth the money in my opinion.......the picture will most likely be very poor.....perhaps a 26in one will look reasonably ok....but for £450 i'd imagine the best you'll get is 20in that actually looks really good...
Are the 32 and 36" CRTs EDTV?

shagaboopon

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433272

I have to disagree there my friend. If your a fan of CRT's then no LCD will ever be good enough for you I'm afraid. As for budget LCD sets you can pickup both bargains and absolute dogs. I've had the Mirai for 2 months and find it to be a excellent set for the money and is a hundred times better than my old Toshiba 28" Widescreen CRT. At the end of the day its down to your own preference I guess but why label all TV's with such a general phrase when it appears (I could be wrong here) you haven't experienced a budget LCD setup properly.

VEGACORTEZ

Rear projection is not good so i would not bother. Using a component cable at 480p set in the wii dashboard the picture can be great on some lcd's & others not so great. I had a Sharp lcd which had no processing & the Gamecube on 480p looked great better than crt as ultra sharp like a pc on a monitor then i got a Sony bravia which processes the image & some but not all games looked a bit dodgy compared to the Sharp or a crt. The lcd sharp P series standard resolution sets are your best bet for lcd to get good standard def picture but will cost more than crt. Crt wise remember not all the tv's do 480p even if they have component connections but i know that one of the Toshiba ones do, but a 32" set weighs a lot. Just go to currys or comet to look at the Toshiba & maybe John Lewis to see a Sharp P series, check prices & maybe hook a Wii up to them via a component connections & see for yourself.

Marky1973

Just second the Sharp P series comments above. I have a Sharp LCp50e, which is an 'old' model but seems to have been better received than some of the more recent models. 32 inch, was £700 about 6 months ago, so should be able to find them at a reasonable price. The way they are designed means that standard pal broadcasts through sky for example are some of the best pictures, while the set is capable of getting HD sources up and running too through its HDMI input.

Most importantly, the Wii looks usperb on it......well to me anyway and many many times better than the gamecube did.....and this is just through composite, so will be interested to see if the component cable makes any difference, when I get it......looking at Zelda on Friday, I wasn't entirely sure i would be too bothered either way....but we shall see...

S Sharp P series.......you know you want one!

shagaboopon

So for a great picture on EDTV, LCD does not count?
I was just pointing out that the guy who mentioned budget hdtv's all being poor was not correct in his assumption unless no LCD would make him happy.

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
Personally, I would say that a half decent LCD would be ideal for a gaming console.
However, for a general TV I would not touch one with a rather long barge-pole.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member

I had a top of the range Panasonic LCD for 4 months.Anything, other than top notch broadcasts such as HD or C5 and my 360, looked awful.
I sold it and bought a Panasonic Plasma and it is miles better with everything, HD, DVD Sky etc.
I sold the LCD to my parents (at a big loss)and when I go round there now I am embarrased to see what I have sold them:oops:

VEGACORTEZ

Rear projection - screen burn issues & the picture as far as i can remember will be worse than crt or lcd. I remenber these type of screens in the arcades & they were a bit naff, logos like insert coin got burnt permanently into the image on screen.

a27

Rear projection - screen burn issues & the picture as far as i can remember will be worse than crt or lcd. I remenber these type of screens in the arcades & they were a bit naff, logos like insert coin got burnt permanently into the image on screen.
So the consensus seems to be that cheap and quality = big widescreen crt.

VEGACORTEZ

I remember now its the crt tv by Samsung WS32Z419D that is a EDTV, it can even do 720p & 1080i although this will not look as good like an lcd due to it not being an HDTV but still a nice little extra for it to have. Just remember that a crt that can do 480p (NTSC) & 576p (PAL) prog scan through the component inputs is a must for ultimate standard def picture quality. Scart or interlaced component picture quality is great but the former is much better.
Give this model a try out or look it up on these forums under the crt tv section. It costs £500 pounds in normal shops i think, you can prob get it cheaper though. I have not tested this tv myself though i just know it does NTSC & PAL prog scan for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.