1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new midi pc case... any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Iain Shields, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Folks,

I'm finally giving up and moving on from my old Pentium II 300 based computer to something more powerfull, despite being a bit of a novice I've decided to have a go and build this myself (due to money restraints I can buy a bit at a time and build it gradually).

I'll be most likely going for an AMD Athlon XP based chip fitted to an nforce 2 mobo and as this is to be a multi-purpose pc (games, video editing, music and basic HCPC etc.) I would like to fit it into a midi case... but which one?:confused:

Price is a factor here as I want to spend £100 or less (less if possible :rolleyes: )

I understand you get what you pay for but since this is my first home build :rolleyes: I don't want to go over the top...

Any recommendations and possibly links to sites that sell them would be much appreciated :smashin:

Thanks in advance,
    Iain

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    £100 for the case or the whole PC?

Have a look at www.ebuyer.com
    www.overclockers.co.uk

Both have a good selection of cases for all price levels.

Another thing. If your going to use your new PC for gaming you might want to think about getting a very good gfx card. Don't think you'll find the onboard gfx will be able to take the modern PC games.

3. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently built my first PC from scratch - my HTPC - and used the Antec 660AMG case, bought from overclockers.co.uk for ~£95 including VAT. In my opinion, it is a very good case - cool (including a case fan blowing onto the graphics card), easy to work in and well built. It also comes with a TruPower 330W PSU, which is nice and quiet. I've only got cheap, barebones-type case to compare against, but I reckon the Antec is great VFM. YMMV.

HTH,

_

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  5. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies,

It's £100 or less on just the case...

I like the look of the Antec cases, and they seem to have a good reputation, are there any others I should be looking at?

Regarding the graphics card... I was thinking of getting an nforce 2 mobo with built in graphics (possibly the MSI K7N2G-ILSR) just to get the pc up and running and then add maybe one of the new 9600 based ATI cards in a couple of months when they come available and get the drivers up to speed, does anyone forsee any problems in doing this?

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Trouble is each of your needs as listed require a PC to have a different slant. The gaming PC needs the better graphics card, Video editing requires attention paid to the Disk system and most things need a speedy cpu. The mainboard you listed has onboard graphics and is only about £20 more expensive than the none graphics board so I would say just try it before you splash out on a graphics card as if you find you need a better vid card for the games side then you have only lost a little.

8. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    GrahamC - Very true mate, I was thinking of-

MSI K7N2G-ILSR mobo
    AMD Athlon XP +2100 (seems to be 1 of the best "bang for the buck Athlons available)
    512mb memory (1028mb if I can stretch to it)
    120gb HD (probably Maxtor or Western Digital 8mb versions)
    ATi Radeon 9600 (most likely get this last, the onboard graphics will do till then)
    Dvd drive etc.

I will most likely use the onboard sound aswell but would like to get into music recording at some stage so will be looking out for a suitable soundcard later...

But first I need to decide on a case to put it all in, I'm leaning towards an Antec but would still like to hear some other recommendations and some more links to sites that offer good prices on the various components that I want...

Thanks again for all the replies so far,

Iain.

9. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Any of the Chenming-style cases would do, IMO. They are almost indestructable, have a very good layout and quality fittings.

The Coolermaster ATC-710 (Chenming with an aluminium frontplate) gets my vote just because it looks so damn cool, hehe. Should be about £80-90. If you want something cheaper, most of the £50-60 Antec/Chieftec cases are very good.