I Need a motherboard with 8 (or more) sata ports

Fusewire

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone recomend a good motherboard (preferably intel) that has got at least 8 internal sata ports..

I have been looking all over the place, the only one I have found is this one :-
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 iP55 Socket 1156 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

Is it any good, I only picked it for the number of sata ports on it... :)

Are there any others that are a bit cheaper maybe.. :rolleyes:

What CPU you wanting to run, i7 i5? I have an Asus P5Q, has 8 Sata, works great and was cheap.. CPU, E8500, I have 8 HDDs, 1 is IDE, 2 burners, 1 is IDE, the rest are all Sata, I need more Sata though LOL...

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi

That board has been given a good write-up in the Custom PC magazine (83% overall). Good point: fast, bad point: Limited overclocking.

The Asus P7P55D Deluxe has 9 SATA ports and was given 79% overall. You could check that one out.

Alan

What CPU you wanting to run, i7 i5? I have an Asus P5Q, has 8 Sata, works great and was cheap.. CPU, E8500, I have HDDs, 1 is IDE, 2 burners, 1 is IDE, the rest are all Sata, I need more Sata though LOL...

I am not too bothered about the cpu as it won't be put under much load for what it will be used for, the main requirement of the rig will be storage ;)- hence the need for the sata ports. :)

The motherboard will be going in an antec 1200 case that has 12 drive bays. :D

I have the same case, I run 8 HDDs, the smartest thing you could do, 10 Sata, 10 HDDs, 2 burners on IDE..

I have the same case, I run 8 HDDs

What power supply are you using to power it all ?

You will laugh, a coolermaster 650 watt, I run an E8500, 8 HDDs, 2 Burners, an 8800 GT 512, Thermalright Ultra 120 and also Xfi sound card with break out box.. NPs here for PSU, and the CPU is OC to 3.8..

Just found this:

Centre Com Online

Local site here in Australia, should be about 110 quid for you....

Hope this helps, I am looking at it myself, but I still have an E6600 in a Thermaltake case, I have too many toys LOL..

:)

Just get a board with 4/6 ports and add a SIL3114 card. Doesn't have to be onboard.

And typically if you're putting that much hard drives in your should be using a hardware RAID card, defeating the purpose of having many SATA ports.

Annual failure rate is ridiculously high with 8-16 drives in a system and you'll either need RAID or backup to protect against hardware failure.

Pushing 8 harddrives is not a problem for PSU. I have a heavily overclocked Q9550, HD4770 and 10 drives (8 in RAID50) and max load does not go past 370W from mains.

What CPU you wanting to run, i7 i5? I have an Asus P5Q, has 8 Sata, works great and was cheap.. CPU, E8500, I have 8 HDDs, 1 is IDE, 2 burners, 1 is IDE, the rest are all Sata, I need more Sata though LOL...

Hi, Please can you tell me which version of the P5Q you are referring to above? I've tried looking for it too but can't seem to locate it!

Also this is quite a nice case if you're looking for something with lots of drive bays and a minimalisitc design!: Define R2, Black Pearl - Fractal Design

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

This is the exact version...
It has 6 sata, then another 2 for raid, which I have disabled making it 8 sata in total.
Good robust mobo..
I get 3.8 Ghz from an E8500 on a Thermalright Ultra 120..

thanks for that 24 P.

After looking into my requirements a little deeper I've decided it would also be nice to have onboard too .... is that asking a little too much?|

Onboard GPU??
Depends on what you want.
If you are just using it for movie playback, this can be achieved, let me know and I will find something suitable..

Gigabyte GA P55 UD5

bad point: Limited overclocking.

I have an i7 860 @ 4.1GHz (with HT) on this board, have had it running @ 4.45GHz (with HT disabled), so I would certainly would not say that it has "limited overclocking"... ;)

Last edited:
Pick up a gigabyte P35 DS3R, ive got one, its cheap, supports 775 which still has plenty of life, it overclocks pretty decent and has 8 sata ports.

Onboard GPU??
Depends on what you want.
If you are just using it for movie playback, this can be achieved, let me know and I will find something suitable..

Yes, exactly that...it's going to be used as a home storage server mainly but also very occasional movie playback. As it's going to be on 24/7 i don't fancy going for extra PCI cards for SATA or Graphics.

The most I have found is 6, it might be more suitable if you go for the 1 I mentioned and buy a basic GPU, this should not cost you more than say 40 quid for a good quiet 1...
other wise you risk losing the 2 sata and only having 6 for an onboard GPU...

I will look into it further for you though..

The most I have found is 6, it might be more suitable if you go for the 1 I mentioned and buy a basic GPU, this should not cost you more than say 40 quid for a good quiet 1...
other wise you risk losing the 2 sata and only having 6 for an onboard GPU...

I will look into it further for you though..

Hmmm decisions, decisions! I think I may plump for the 8 SATA ports and get a graphics card as that ill no doubt improve video playback even if it is only an entry level one - appreciate your help & please do let me know if you discover anything else! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom