I need a little help with a Computer to Stereo reciever set-up

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by thr5914, Jun 1, 2003.

1. thr5914

thr5914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just started to do this and am having an absolute blast working on this.

first off, im on a college students budget, i'm a server at a bar, so i cant spend to much on this $)

right now i have an old computer that used to be my granddad's before he died, a old reciever that i bought for 50$ (but i can take it back and bring more money to upgrade the reciever whenever and as many times as i need), a on-board soundcard, and two big speakers that my parents gave to me (there pretty old).

right now, i have everything hooked up and really cant complain. i got rid of all that nasty interference noise from the computer using a ground loop isolator:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/home_solving.html

now heres my problem. forsome reason only one side of the set-up is working. right now outta 4 speaker outputs on my reciever (2 for left and 2 for right) i have both my speaker's plugged into the rightside.

its like my computer is only putting out a mono output, instead of a stereo output.

is it my soundcard? the reciever?

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So then surely you'll only hear the right channel? Shouldn't one speaker be plugged into R and the other into L? :)

3. thr5914

thr5914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    man, im not that dumb.

the reason for having both of my speakers on the right side is cause when i plug one of them in the left side, no noise will come outta that left speaker at all.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    try and borrow a CD player from a mate or even a tape deck, anything with stereo out and if it works its the sound card if not the receiver.

Also dont forget to try different inputs, one might be faulty the others ok. and swap cables over etc as it could be a poor cable or connectoer at either end.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,845
    Check that the cable you have plugged into your soundcard has a stereo jack on the PC end - it should have three metal conductors separated by two rings of plastic insulator.

6. ag_pusscat

ag_pusscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    To expand on what Nigel is saying:

- Assuming you have a soundcard that has "microphone" style plugs.
    - One of the plugs is porbably an "In" and one may be an "Out".
    - You need a cable that has a stereo microphone plug on one end (as described by Nigel) and 2 RCA jacks at the other end.
    - Plug the microphone end into the "out" port of the soundcard (the one that seems to be working) and plug the RCA end into your amplifier. You should then get stereo.

7. thr5914

thr5914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    man when i read this it sounds like you think im dumb $)

yah its a stereo jack for sure i know that, i got the adaptor plug going to a ground loop isolator.

on my sound card i have a two outputs, frount out, and rear out, both seem to work the same.

edit:
    BTW, what exactly do i have to do in the windows set-up to make sure it will work right, i have XP and well, im just not to good at configuring it yet. right now i have it set on "stereo computer speakers" should i set that on the Quadrophonicthingy setting?

8. ag_pusscat

ag_pusscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Are you saying you've got (yes, this is obvious):

- The stereo jack plugged into the front speaker socket of the sound card.
    - The two RCA jacks from this connected to the isolator.
    - Another set of RCA jacks going from the isolator to the amp.
    - One speaker plugged into the L out.
    - One speaker plugged into the R out.

If this is the case I'd be following HornyD's advice and try to narrow down which bit in the chain is not working. Perhaps if you told us what you tried we could give some better advice.

I'd advise Sticking with 2 speakers (L and R) to begin with and Stereo setting in XP.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,845
    Not intended to offend; but you might be surprised at how often other people do make obvious mistakes, and it's clearly as well to get the obvious out of the way before starting on the less obvious.

eg: 'I have my DVD player connected to my TV via SCART and my VCR connected to my TV via SCART. The problem is that I can't record a DVD onto tape when the TV is switched off'.

Of course - if the only connection between the DVD and the VCR is via the TV, then of course it needs to be switched on!

This was a genuine query from someone on a forum.

* (if you didn't know, SCART is a multipin plug/socket used in Europe that carries audio and video signals both in and out of the device)

10. thr5914

thr5914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i had this boombox that the cdplayer didnt work on so i detached the speakers on it, stripped the wire like normal speaker wire and plugged that into the reciever and tried playing FM stereo. once again only the one speaker wanted to work.

btw, thats the second reciever in my adventures of this (and yes im having a blast with this stuff, just wish i had more money $)

so i guess im gonna have to find a new reciever or something, the place i got it back said if anything is wrong he can fix it for free.

so im back home from college right now and once i get back im gonna work on it some more, ill have more questions and stuff.

oh yah, what about this.... ok on the sound card i have the front and rear outputs right? can i have two recievers running 8 different speakers throughout inside and outside the house? i have alot of partys at my place (i live on fraternity row at college) and that would be kickass to have music thoughout the whole place.

and what about a sub? my reciever is old and only has like the 4 red white speaker connector things, what could i do for that?

and whats the unswitched thing on the back of the reciever? it kinda looks like a elecrical socket, what does that do?

11. ag_pusscat

ag_pusscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I assume you have tested it is not the speaker at fault i.e. try the speaker that works in the other channel. If it is the receiver, they'll fix it for free, so problem solved. I'm sure it would only be a cheap repair anyway.

The "rear" ouput would be designed for surround sound i.e. movie effects and the like. Perhaps you can set up XP to send out the same signal through these ... but I don't know.

You could use the tape loop to connect to another receiver. Or you could use a switchbox type thing to duplicate the signal to another set of RCA plugs. I'm sure there is a number of ways.

The unswitched thing is an electrical socket (typically european style with two pins). You could plug something into this (e.g. a CD player) and its power would be routed through the amplifier.

A sub when there is no socket for it? I don't know - isn't there a plug for this on your sound card?

12. thr5914

thr5914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as for a little update \,

i found out that my one of my yahmaha speakers is busted. the 10" sub has coil shock. i found that out when i went to return the reciever. the dude said it would be 60 dollars plus tax. (60 dollars will almost buy you a keg of beer, or a pair of shoes, or
    2 soundblaster live 5.1 cards)

does that sound about right to fix that speaker?

and would that for some reason cause the amp to short out one channel?

oh and my mom decided to buy me a 10" subwoofer. right now i have it plugged in through some speakeroutputs, and then from thew sub going to the other speakers (the back-ups while the yamhaws are messed up). could i plug it through the headphone jack on the reciever? (did some one suggest that already?)