i need a highspeed with ethernet hdmi cable but dont know what band with i need .....

Atari2600

Established Member
Reaction score
i need a hdmi high speed with ethernet hdmi cable 1 in 5 meter length and 3 in 1 meter length.

i need it for a 3d plasma (panasonic 50vt20, 3d blueray player, ps3, and sky or virgin media in hd, it also should have audio return capability, i have seen some that have 10.2 Gbps bandwith and some 12.?? Gbps bandwith, im confused on this.

i deally i would like the cable to be around 24-26 AWG conductor and good built quality. as cables are going through wallas and bends, but obviously i dont want to pay silly money,

35 pounds max for the 5 meter, and 15-20 pound max on the 1 meter

can any 1 help or suggest?

(p.s) i have bought some van dam blue speaker cable that are known as studio grade quality so i would like to get some hdmi cable that are known as studio grade quality

thanks again and hope i get some suggestions

The HDMI 1.4 spec has a maximum bandwidth of 10.2 gbps , thats it , nothing on the market can go higher , and even at that , nothing uses all of that bandwidth , in fact the new 3dtv's and BD player's typically run at 1080p @24fps x 2 , which is actually less bandwidth than some 2D content.

So , any cable manufacturer putting higher bandwidth numbers on there cables is simply pulling those figures out of their behinds.
There is no official HDMI test that will give such figures.

(p.s) i have bought some van dam blue speaker cable that are known as studio grade quality so i would like to get some hdmi cable that are known as studio grade quality

There is no such thing , anyone that says different is lying. All HDMI cables perform the same in terms of sound or picture. The technology of the interface means it is impossible for an HDMI cable on its own to improve picture or sound.
You may have mechanical considerations , for example is the cable going to be buried in wall , in which case you should go for a sturdier make , but otherwise any "High speed with ethernet" cable will do.

All HDMI cables will do ARC , you dont need anything special for that.

There are many sellers that post in this forum , I'm sure they will be along with offer soon. Heres one of them.
http://ukhdmi.com/

Last edited:
here is a cable that i have looked at and seems good, this is the cable that says it has a higher bandwith and this cable is approved from hdmi org.

High Speed 1.4 HDMI Cable with Ethernet - Supports 3D and future proof for HDMI 1.4 Spec

the only down side about this cable is the price for the 5 meter its about 60 pounds :eek: i find the price for the 1 meter reasonable.

but i guess the price is about right for the length and seems very good build quality

what do you think about this cable? over others? its still cheaper than the likes of qed,ixos,ect

i dont want to get something thats too cheap

the only down side about this cable is the price for the 5 meter its about 60 pounds i find the price for the 1 meter reasonable.

Well , its up to you , but I can guarantee you that there is absolutely no benefit to spending such a ludicrous amount on a 0.5 meter cable. It will gain you absolutely nothing.

Also , there are two test suites for HDMI cables , Category 1 and Category 2 , they are the official tests and if HDMI.org approves the cable as high speed then it has passed category 2.
Even so , that 17.5 gbps is simply pulled out of the air , it is not part of that Category 2 test suite. That is simply marketing and means nothing.

A Category 2 test pass is as good as it gets and there are plenty of cables that have passed this test that cost a lot less money.

There is nothing wrong with this line ,
Cheap 3m HDMI Cable - HDbasics entry level HDMI Cable - Free UK Delivery - Ships Worldwide
It is as good as any other HDMI cable.

Well , its up to you , but I can guarantee you that there is absolutely no benefit to spending such a ludicrous amount on a 0.5 meter cable. It will gain you absolutely nothing.

Also , there are two test suites for HDMI cables , Category 1 and Category 2 , they are the official tests and if HDMI.org approves the cable as high speed then it has passed category 2.
Even so , that 17.5 gbps is simply pulled out of the air , it is not part of that Category 2 test suite. That is simply marketing and means nothing.

A Category 2 test pass is as good as it gets and there are plenty of cables that have passed this test that cost a lot less money.

There is nothing wrong with this line ,
Cheap 3m HDMI Cable - HDbasics entry level HDMI Cable - Free UK Delivery - Ships Worldwide
It is as good as any other HDMI cable.

i have had alook at that cable but just looks a bit cheaply made - i need something thats has a good build quality as there will be some cables i would be pulling out and inserting all the time, plus ideally i would like a cable thats has 24-26 AWG especially when its running at 5 meters long, but then again i wouldnt know or how much of a diffrence it would make between 26AWG or a 28AWG conductor.

I was considering the hd platinium cable range but was a little put of the limit of bandwith, and the highest resolution it can handle, i know you have explained this to me but just want to future proof my self

or do you think the hd platinium cable is more than sufficent for me and i wont be loosing anything ? and buy these instead.

You could bring the price down by 10% if you use voucher code 'AVF10'

thanks for this

but is there any way of gaining abit more discount ?
if im buying
1 x 5 meter infinius hd 3d pro hdmi cable
3 x 1 meter infinius hd 3d pro hdmi cable
1 x 1 meter nintendio wii component cable

Sorry. 10% is the maximum anyone gets.

And all AVForums members are treated fairly and equal.

Decent gauges of HDMI cables and tight bends donÂ’t mix too well - neither does constant plugging and unplugging.

IÂ’d be running two runs of CAT6 as backup with a view to using HDMI over Twisted pair extenders should you run into problems.

Joe

Hi Jav,

I would just like to say that Van Damme is a good quality copper cable, i'm not sure it's "classed" as studio grade but alot of Studio's use Van Damme, unlike many cheapo cheapo speaker cable thats used from low grade copper full of impurities and often recycled copper the Van Damme is just purer OFC.

If you would like to indulge yourself in some more exotic HDMI cable that is classed as High speed with ethernet then you can obviously make your own mind up but from my opinion I would recommend something like Audioquest Forest, very well built and looks pretty too. :)

Audioquest Forest HDMI Cable

@Joe, completely agree with you, certainly run some CAT6 all over the place.

Regards

Phil @ Custom Cable

Last edited:
When VanDamme talk about ‘Studio Grade’ they are referring to the physical properties of the cable in terms of the application they have designed it for – they also have ‘Tour Grade’ loudspeaker cables (same copper conductors as the Studio Grade cables with a more rugged outer jacket and often multiple internal pairs).

Joe

what you guys think about these cables, if im going to pay this sort of money then i prefer to go fo a reputable make,
Audioquest Pearl HDMI v1.4 High Speed With Ethernet
will this be more than aducate for my needs? what is the highest resolution can this cable handle and also whats the max bandwith it can handle?

is there some sort of discount for av forum members?

the other cable you suggested (forest) does look good but its out of my budget.

van dam blue = i am happy with them and are highly recommended by nearly every 1 on this forum, hence the reason i bought them.

so know im looking for some good quality hdmi high speed with ethernet cables that are in the same league as the van dam blue speaker cables.

From their "Blurb"

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/hifi-...quest/audioquest-diamond-hdmi-v1.4-30479.html

Did you know that there are huge differences in the sound of HDMI cables? As part of AudioQuest's re-examination of HDMI cable design, specific attention was paid to maximizing the sonic performance of HDMI. While we've been aware of this since HDMI's introduction, AQ's Indulgence HDMI series push the HDMI sonic performance to new levels. While test equipment is excellent at tracking control errors or ensuring data pass through, no computer can compete with the human ear when it comes to perceiving the subtle but crucial audio errors and distortion that can reduce the enjoyment of your home theater system.

This is simply not true , I thought most sellers of HDMI cables had dispensed with these lies , obviously not !

Features:

• Solid Perfect-Surface Silver (PSS) Conductors
• Low Jitter, Low Distortion Audio
• Signal Conductors Controlled for Digital Audio Direction
• Bi-Directional Ethernet Communication and Audio Return Channel Enabled
• Dielectric-Bias System (DBS US Pat # 7,126,055) Significantly Improves Audio Performance

Only the HDMI sender electronics or receiver electronics can play any part in Jitter when it comes to the HDMI interface , the cable has absolutely nothing to do with whatsoever , so , more lies !

On principal I wouldnt buy anything from anyone that persists in such dishonesty.

Jaz , seriously , you are spending money needlessly , if you feel you must try these ludicrously expensive cables , then buy from someone with a money back gaurantee , get the HD basics and the "premium" and test them yourself , I promise you there wont be a jot of difference between them.

Heres an independant expert , not a cable seller , that is important , he talks about cables from 3 mins 20 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MMDGkQ-w5s&feature=player_embedded#!

Last edited:
what you guys think about these cables, if im going to pay this sort of money then i prefer to go fo a reputable make,
Audioquest Pearl HDMI v1.4 High Speed With Ethernet
will this be more than aducate for my needs? what is the highest resolution can this cable handle and also whats the max bandwith it can handle?

is there some sort of discount for av forum members?

the other cable you suggested (forest) does look good but its out of my budget.

van dam blue = i am happy with them and are highly recommended by nearly every 1 on this forum, hence the reason i bought them.

so know im looking for some good quality hdmi high speed with ethernet cables that are in the same league as the van dam blue speaker cables.

The Pearl is currently our best selling HDMI,however the Forest obtains higher ratings with What HiFi, you tell me if that means anything. ;-) It will be perfectly adequate as it is High Speed with Ethernet Certified which is the highest spec you can achieve, it will remain High Speed up to the 5 Metres you're after too.

We can offer discount over the Christmas period for just the Pearl but unfortunately it will only equate to 10% Off when you use "AVForums" as a coupon code at the cart page.

Kind regards

Phil @ Custom Cable

The Pearl is currently our best selling HDMI,however the Forest obtains higher ratings with What HiFi, you tell me if that means anything. ;-) It will be perfectly adequate as it is High Speed with Ethernet Certified which is the highest spec you can achieve, it will remain High Speed up to the 5 Metres you're after too.

We can offer discount over the Christmas period for just the Pearl but unfortunately it will only equate to 10% Off when you use "AVForums" as a coupon code at the cart page.

Kind regards
Phil @ Custom Cable

ok thanks i will make my mind up in the next couple of days
most likely i will end up buying the pearl hdmi cables

EDITED TO ADD IGNORE: have read the print on the cable, question answered.

I have a similar question, so instead of starting a new thread asking pretty much the same thing, can i hi-jack this one?

Im looking for 3m length hmdi to go between a sonyhx903 tv, and an onkyo 608 reciever. as this will the the only source input between tv and all equipment, it needs to be 3d ready and arc compatible.

will the AQ Pearl do what i need? im not too bothered about ethernet passing through it, though i guess it would be a bonus to have...

Last edited:
Hi Jag

The Pearl is a good quality, well made HDMI lead. We do find that customers have been buying the higher priced Forest from source to the amplifiers and then going for a slightly cheaper HDMI from Amplifier to TV. So yes, the Pearl will be fine! The ethernet could be useful if you do ever get another screen that has ethernet functionality over HDMI (Youtube, iPlayer, Picasa etc)

Kind regards

Phil @ Custom Cable

The only ‘Feature’ offered under the HDMI 1.4 hardware Rev spec that requires a ‘special’ cable is the ‘HDMI Ethernet Channel’ – and even then a fair few cables not marked as such will support the Ethernet channel.

The HDMI Ethernet Channel would only be relevant if the kit on both ends of the ‘’with Ethernet’ cable were HDMI Ethernet compliant and one of them was also connected to your Ethernet router – personally HDMI Ethernet looks like a dead duck!

HDMI.org advise you to install High Speed cables for 3-D support – though again on short cable runs a Standard Speed cable will likely be OK with 3-D.

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4

It makes no sense whatsoever to have differing ‘cost’ cables between the Source>AVR and AVR>Sync.

Joe

It makes no sense whatsoever to have differing ‘cost’ cables between the Source>AVR and AVR>Sync.

Joe

A few customers have expressed that they have not seen a difference in picture quality from one HDMI to another, however they have heard the difference when listening to Stereo! I think this may be why they opt for slightly higher quality HDMI source to receiver.

Regards

Phil @ Custom Cable

Hi Phil

Stereo sounding better over one HDMI cable vs. another!!!

That makes no sense – Ill’ guess we’ll have to take their word for it!

‘Golden Ears’ HDMI cables here we come :D

Joe

Makes no sense and totally and utterly impossible.

The packetised nature of audio over the HDMI interface means that the sink must re-sync all audio based on data sent by the source.

Regarding audio quality with HDMI , Audio data is inserted into the video blanking periods , it is not a continuous bitstream , it is recovered and reclocked at the sink ( receiving device ) using a formula based on the Video clock.

The audio clock is not transmitted over HDMI
Rather, it is derived at the sink end from the video clock

The Source computes integers N and CTS such that
128Ă—fs = fTMDS_CLKĂ—N/CTS

N is fixed for a given video and audio rate (table lookup)

Source counts TMDS clocks per audio clock to determine CTS
N, CTS transmitted in audio clock regeneration packet

The sink regenerates the audio sample clock from the received fTMDS_CLK, N, and CTS values

Asynchronous video and audio clocks, or audio clock jitter, can cause CTS to change over time , but its important to realize that such jitter cannot happen due to the cable , this can only happen due to problems in either the source or sink silicon/clock combination , so regardless , the cable cannot affect audio quality.

The cable is totally transparent to the whole process , it simply cannot be the case that the cable has anything whatsoever to do with audio quality.

Last edited:
Many of our customer's are doing this, both through custom-cable and through demonstrations at Unilet!

Phil @ Custom Cable

Kind regards

Phil @ Custom Cable

thanks i have just placed an order for the pearls with the 10% discount - so thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom